What's new

Smoked Turkey

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a 20 pound bird going in the WMS this year, I'm thinking about spatchcocking it...Does anyone know if it will fit on the top grate of an 18.5 Weber opened up like that?

You should be fine! I did 20 lb spatchcocked on a 22" kettle but with the smokenator mod i only got to use 2/3 of the grill, one side is the coals. Absolutely worst case, split it down the middle so you can arrange the halfs better.

Hey guys, I have a few questions and this seems to be the best place to ask. I have been smoking a turkey for about the last ten years. I currently inject the turkey the night before with Cajun Butter seasoning. This has kept the bird really moist and adds lots of flavor.

My biggest issue is the skin, it normally gets really dark and doesn't turnout so well. Some of it has to do with the long cook time, some comes from temperature spikes when i add more wood. I have recently read, for baking a turkey, if you put slices of bacon on the breast, then uncover it for the last couple of hours it will keep the skin from getting too far. Have any of you tried this? does this work well on a smoker?

Another thing i saw today was an herbed turkey. You make an herbed butter and put it in between the skin and meat. This was for an oven roasted turkey. How well would this work on a smoker with the longer cooking times?

I normally get a good skin. I use a modified version of Meatheads technique on Amazingribs.com (see my post & picture above from last year.)
Sprinkle salt on the bird and set in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours before cooking. (helps dry the skin) Then spread butter and herbs under the skin. Grill/smoke at 325° or more. As @scoccerguy83 said, there's no collagen or connective tissue to break down, so treat your smoker or grill like an oven. Go easy on the wood (for smoking) if you are using a wood or charcoal grill/smoker you probably don't have to add any "smoking" wood. If gas or electric, just a chunk or two should be fine.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I smoke mine in a brown paper grocery bag, stapled shut. Filters out the creosote from the smoke (still smokes the meat just fine) and always a good skin.

That's a new one, brown paper bag. I did do a brisket in butcher paper once that I saw done on a show. Was it better or worse? Dunno, it was eaten without a single complaint.
I've done a fair bit of smoking. Wife's cholesterol went sky high this year so I've cut back. A lot. Do beer can chickens frequently.
That's not smoking though. Love to try smoking a turkey but the end of November it can get a bit chilly here, 44° as I type and trying to maintain temp in a charcoal barrel smoker below 50° with a gusty wind can be a real pain. :(

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Another year has gone buy and Thanksgiving is here again. Get those turkeys bought and thawed out. Let's see what ya got goin' this year.

Have fun.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Doing mine on the Weber kettle this year. Apple + oak, my favorite for bird. Pix when it is resting Thursday a little after noon Eastern time.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't know how to smoke a turkey, so this will have to suffice.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yep, ya don't thaw out a frozen Turkey in 375 degree oil. It goes nuclear in 3.2 seconds.

Yeah...my intelligent son-in-law deep fried one on my back deck one year...about set the wood deck on fire. Glad I was prepared with a large bag of playground sand to dump on it.

That's a real good reason to ban members around here...shame

Gee, Aaron...not everyone is as talented as you are.

I shuffle off with my head hung low in shame through the cold, dreary, rainy night to face banishment forever. Alas...shall I ever return?

Really though, if we do turkey it's just a breast...a whole turkey is way to much. SWMBO gets a ham from work every year so that is probably what we'll do.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We picked up a Butterball and for good measure a bone in pork butt. It's supposed to rain on the day that I'm going to smoke everything. But, I bought a 10 x 10 canopy that is totally awesome so I'll set that up over my smoker ...so bring on the rain.

Ah, that time of year where people burn their houses down deep frying turkeys :lol:

Yep, ya don't thaw out a frozen Turkey in 375 degree oil. It goes nuclear in 3.2 seconds.

My sister tried one at my house once. It was thawed, but too much oil. I still have that oil stain in the driveway.

Yeah...my intelligent son-in-law deep fried one on my back deck one year...about set the wood deck on fire. Glad I was prepared with a large bag of playground sand to dump on it.

I have fried several hundred birds over the last 35 years without incident. Once you go fried, you never go back.

1123171205.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have fried several hundred birds over the last 35 years without incident. Once you go fried, you never go back.

View attachment 928477

Yeah, son-in-law finally got it right...after a bit of experience. His is turning out good now, but not as good as smoked. :001_tt2:

That's a real good reason to ban members around here...shame

BREAKING NEWS!

Talked to SWMBO a bit ago...she got the ham from work, but also picked up a turkey breast. She's going to leave the turkey in the fridge until I get home in a few days. I have plenty of wood split to do one.

To be continued....

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
11 pound turkey is in the brine. I'll smoke it tomorrow morning along with a pork butt. I plan smoking it till the color is right then place it in a aluminum pan, cover and braze in butter and broth.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
11 pound turkey is in the brine. I'll smoke it tomorrow morning along with a pork butt. I plan smoking it till the color is right then place it in a aluminum pan, cover and braze in butter and broth.

I'll be over around, what, 2pm? Sounds great

Looks like I'll be doing similar to @simon1 lol

Top Bottom