What's new

Smoked Turkey

As mentioned upthread I did a grill-smoked turkey based on Meathead Goldwyn's recipe on Amaizngribs. Came out very well. Cooked amazingly fast too. 14lbs in a smidgen over 2 hours. (Pulled it at 2:20 and the breast was up to 170° which is about 10 degrees more than I wanted.

And sadly the only picture that came out good, was this ugly orientation. (I think I got grease on the camera lens after this shot.)
$turkey2015.jpg

The recipe was a success. A light but distinct smoky flavor and tender and juicy with crackling crisp skin.

I use THIS brine, usually doubled and have been happy with it. The last turkey I did, the skin was brushed with bacon fat and then just salt and pepper and cooked at 325-350. It was the best we've ever had.

proxy.php
+1
I use a very similar brine and the apple sticks with the bird in a very mild way. My kids have always loved it.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
^ On thanksgiving I used the same brine, and prep as last time. The bird came out a little darker this time but still perfectly done inside and out.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a 20# bird for the smoker and a 12# bird for the oven. Last year was the first time my in laws came to our house for smoked turkey, and a couple weeks ago the mother in law asked if we could do a oven turkey instead. My wife almost told them not to come.

This year I have limited time and space. I am cooking for 35 people in a 2.5 hour time window. I don't have time to balance the dark meat, white meat, and skin finishing in time; it's especially more difficult on bigger birds. I would love to spatchcock and go at 450 on the kamado, but I don't think I have space for two birds. Even one bird I would have to cut in half to fit on two levels. My plan is to use my advanced butchery skills and make ballotines with two 15-16 lb turkeys.

Debone -> forcemeat and seasoning -> roll it up -> smoke at 325 -> flash fry to crisp the skin

Guaranteed juicy meat and crispy skin. Whole bird presentation is not something I will stress about. I usually carve in the kitchen and put it on a platter anyway.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks good Aaron. Is the turkey for thanks giving and the sausages for the cook?

Thanks. Yep, Turkey is for Thanksgiving. It's all been processed and placed in vacuum sealed bags for the trip to Kerrville, Texas. The sausages were for dinner on top of brisket and slaw sandwiches last night.

Aaron, both look awesome! Did you brine or anything?
Thanks. Yep, I brined it 24 hours in salt water with sugar, bay leaves, chicken stock, peppercorns, rosemary and thyme. Washed off, then back into frig uncovered for 10 hours. Stuffed with oranges, onion, celery, garlic and rosemary and smoked for about 3 hours at 300F. First time on my new smoker.

Hey guys, I have a few questions and this seems to be the best place to ask. I have been smoking a turkey for about the last ten years. I currently inject the turkey the night before with Cajun Butter seasoning. This has kept the bird really moist and adds lots of flavor.

My biggest issue is the skin, it normally gets really dark and doesn't turnout so well. Some of it has to do with the long cook time, some comes from temperature spikes when i add more wood. I have recently read, for baking a turkey, if you put slices of bacon on the breast, then uncover it for the last couple of hours it will keep the skin from getting too far. Have any of you tried this? does this work well on a smoker?

Another thing i saw today was an herbed turkey. You make an herbed butter and put it in between the skin and meat. This was for an oven roasted turkey. How well would this work on a smoker with the longer cooking times?

I have never mastered a good skin on turkey or chicken. I peel it off before I carve and no one mentions it.

I've brined, I've injected, I've done nothing. I've cooked low (200) and slow, high (300+) and fast.

I'm resigned to tossing the skin and keeping it simple.

Last edited:
I just use my Tragger on low for a long time based on weight. I look it up every year. Using use Hickory wood. I rub some butter under the skin, and put rosemary, salt, black pepper, and paprika rub on the outside with a light coating of olive oil.

My wife prefers the traditional oven, and we switch, so this year I unfortunately will be not smoking :bored:

There is zero need to smoke a bird low and slow other than for it to take longer! There is no fat to render or connective tissue to break down. Crank up the heat on your smoker to 350f and let her run!

All that being said the skin is still, meh!

Top Bottom