What's new

Smoked Boston Butt

I was at Sam's Club looking for meat to smoke for today on my Traeger pellet grill. I picked up a 10 lb Boston Butt to make pulled pork. At $1.58 a pound it is one of the few meats I can afford. I got going kind of late but I trimmed the outer fat (these cuts have so much fat marbling It doesn't hurt a thing). I put a good coating of Meat Church Honey Hog seasoning on it and let it sweat while I cleaned the grill.

BB Seasoned.jpg

After letting it smoke for two hours I spritzed it with apple juice and closed it back up.

BB 2 Hours.jpg

The plan is to let it smoke for six hours total and spritz with apple juice every two hours. At six hours I will put the meat into an aluminum steamer pan and top it with pats of butter and brown sugar. Then I will cover the pan with aluminum foil and continue to grill it until the internal temp reaches 205.

I wanted to do a whole beef brisket but choice grade was selling for $5 a pound. Spending $75+ for a hunk of meat isn’t in my budget right now.
Same here. We take advantage of sales. $5 a pound for any type of pork is outrageous and we rarely spend that for beef. In fact, it only happens on special occasions such as an anniversary, as it is still cheaper than going out to dinner.

I just stepped away from the table and my belly is full. Here it is after pulling it from the smoker and letting it sit covered for 45 minutes. Lot's of broth or Au Jus if you will cooked out. I poured the juice into glass measuring cups to let the fat separate.
BB Done.jpg

At this point my wife took over and using her claws she pulled the pork. I separated the fat from the juice and my wife added some juice while sprinkling a little Meat Church Honey Hog seasoning over the meat. She did this in layers and then mixed it all with her hands. Once she had it tasting the way she wanted it was time for all of us to enjoy.

BB Yum.jpg

We bought some King's Hawaiian Slider Buns and made mini sandwiches. My wife made some Cole Slaw and she ate hers Carolina style with the Cole Slaw on the bottom of the sandwich. I had mine separately. Yum!!! No BBQ sauce needed or wanted on this pulled pork!
I basically used this method from Meat Church Pulled Pork except that I smoked the meat at 225 degrees and I didn't raise the temp until after 6 hours when I moved the meat to the half steamer pan and covered with foil. This reduces the mess in my Traeger pellet grill and also allows me to use the Super Smoke setting to get a better flavor on the meat.

Amazing how ignorance can form an opinion. Prior to tasting pulled pork, I had thought pp was simple., inelegant.
After having some, and then trying to cook it, education came about. Its not easy and when an experienced cook does their magic… my mouth is watering. A real gourmet meal.👍👍
Thank you for sharing.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I was at Sam's Club looking for meat to smoke for today on my Traeger pellet grill. I picked up a 10 lb Boston Butt to make pulled pork. At $1.58 a pound it is one of the few meats I can afford. I got going kind of late but I trimmed the outer fat (these cuts have so much fat marbling It doesn't hurt a thing). I put a good coating of Meat Church Honey Hog seasoning on it and let it sweat while I cleaned the grill.

View attachment 1343284

After letting it smoke for two hours I spritzed it with apple juice and closed it back up.

View attachment 1343286

The plan is to let it smoke for six hours total and spritz with apple juice every two hours. At six hours I will put the meat into an aluminum steamer pan and top it with pats of butter and brown sugar. Then I will cover the pan with aluminum foil and continue to grill it until the internal temp reaches 205.
This is pretty close to how I do it as well. I get to the point where I’m happy with the bark which is normally in the 3 to 4 hour range on the smoker. Then I do just as you suggested which is pats of butter and maybe a little brown sugar or honey inside an aluminum pan covered with foil. But I don’t stick it back on the pit or smoker I put it in the oven. That saves me buchu dollars on wood costs. Great job and I bet it was very tasty.

This is pretty close to how I do it as well. I get to the point where I’m happy with the bark which is normally in the 3 to 4 hour range on the smoker. Then I do just as you suggested which is pats of butter and maybe a little brown sugar or honey inside an aluminum pan covered with foil. But I don’t stick it back on the pit or smoker I put it in the oven. That saves me buchu dollars on wood costs. Great job and I bet it was very tasty.
I have considered finishing in the oven but then my house gets hot and my air conditioning has to work overtime. But you are right, once it is in the pan and wrapped it doesn't matter where you finish it. With my Traeger it is WiFi connected and I have an App for it. I could watch and adjust grill temp and the meat temp from the couch while I was watching football. The true lazy man's way of smoking meat!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have considered finishing in the oven but then my house gets hot and my air conditioning has to work overtime. But you are right, once it is in the pan and wrapped it doesn't matter where you finish it. With my Traeger it is WiFi connected and I have an App for it. I could watch and adjust grill temp and the meat temp from the couch while I was watching football. The true lazy man's way of smoking meat!
Traeger:hand::yesnod:

Top Bottom