What's new

Smoke/CO Detectors

I need to change my batteries. Unfortunately, my oldest freaks out if replacing the batteries results in the alarm going off (happens sometimes). I always tell myself I'll do it sometime when she's not around....but that is not a common scenario.

I imagine the woman with a 1yo, in the apartment above wasn't too crazy about me setting alarms off while changing batteries. The apartments have pretty good soundproofing, but she had to hear it. I kept waiting for a knock on the door.

It is legislation in Canada, as well as a lot of US states that you must replace your smoke detector after 10 years from the date of manufacture.
NFPA states you should test once a month and change the battery once a year.
Pick a day you won’t forget, like the wife’s birthday.

It is legislation in Canada, as well as a lot of US states that you must replace your smoke detector after 10 years from the date of manufacture.
This.

Test regularly. Replace batteries yearly (if applicable). Smoke detectors in all living and common areas (not kitchen),. C02 in same areas. Replace after models lifecycle stamped on it (10y from mfg date).

It's a small price to pay for your possible life or families life. The yearly cost is minimal. The device replacement costs aren't that much for most of us either.

Have you ever had any issues with false alarms? Most manufactures recommend CO detectors between 15-20ft of gas appliance. All gas appliances will leak a little CO, but if properly vented it won’t be enough to cause any harm. The 15-20ft range is to prevent false alarms.

My furnace, dryer, and fireplace are well vented, so I have never had a false alarm. My gas kitchen stove is not vented unless I turn on the hood fan. Thus, I do not have a CO detector near the stove. I suspect I would get false alarms.

Many of the smoke detectors you purchase these days come with non-replaceable lithium batteries good for 10 years. That solves the problem of having to replace batteries periodically. The units also alarm when they get near the 10-year point.

There are two types of smoke detectors. One uses a light and photocell to measure light transmission. Large particles of smoke from a smoldering fire will trigger that type of detector. The other type is an ionization detector that uses a small radioactive source. That type works best with hot flames. Since they work best with different types of fires, it is best to have a mix of both types in your house to provide the greatest level of protection.

The photoelectric detectors are safe to dispose in regular trash or take to an electronics recycling center.

Because the ionization detectors contain a small amount of radioactive Americium, some communities may have special regulations for disposal when the reach EOL. The Americium in a ionization type detector is shielded by foil. There is no problem handling the units if the are intact, but dismantling one of the units could expose you to radiation. Most of the radiation is alpha rays, but there are also some gamma rays that are more harmful. If ingested or inhaled, it can be problematic.

Many of the smoke detectors you purchase these days come with non-replaceable lithium batteries good for 10 years. That solves the problem of having to replace batteries periodically. The units also alarm when they get near the 10-year point.

There are two types of smoke detectors. One uses a light and photocell to measure light transmission. Large particles of smoke from a smoldering fire will trigger that type of detector. The other type is an ionization detector that uses a small radioactive source. That type works best with hot flames. Since they work best with different types of fires, it is best to have a mix of both types in your house to provide the greatest level of protection.

The photoelectric detectors are safe to dispose in regular trash or take to an electronics recycling center.

Because the ionization detectors contain a small amount of radioactive Americium, some communities may have special regulations for disposal when the reach EOL. The Americium in a ionization type detector is shielded by foil. There is no problem handling the units if the are intact, but dismantling one of the units could expose you to radiation. Most of the radiation is alpha rays, but there are also some gamma rays that are more harmful. If ingested or inhaled, it can be problematic.

Some places are requiring you to replace detectors with the sealed battery style. Not sure the specifics though.
Not a bad thing with how many people remove their battery while cooking and then forget… guilty.

Top Bottom