What's new

Smoke/CO Detectors

Have you checked your Smoke/CO batteries this month?

At our house, we had Smoke and CO alarms hardwired into the security alarm system. Besides the hardwired alarms, I had a portable CO detector in the basement near the furnace and hot water heater. We take that portable CO detector on trips, for hotel rooms.

We sold the house last year, and the town still made us install stand-alone battery alarms on each floor. We moved into an apartment with 4 integrated Smoke/CO detectors. The town fire inspector came in last year, used a stick to push the button on one unit. It beeped and he left. He never checked how old the batteries or units were.

Last week one of the alarms started chirping. The 9v battery I pulled expired several years ago. Today I replaced the other 3 batteries. The 9 volts were all expired, one of those having an expiration date of 2016.

At our old house, of almost 20 years, I kept an excel spreadsheet of all batteries in every device, by room. With the move, I haven't been keeping track for 18 months, but I've started updating my list, replacing all batteries, and starting from scratch. Even if not life-threatening, like clocks, I hate batteries corroding.

I have a smoke detector, but not a detector of CO, that’s carbon monoxide. That is a killer.

They have CO detectors that plug into an outlet, but I don't know if they work if power goes out. I have this battery one, but can't swear it works either, as its never alerted us to a problem. Of course, if it didn't work I wouldn't be able to tell you. Hoping for better suggestions from our members.

Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Battery-Operated-Monoxide-KN-Copp-B-LPM/dp/B004Y6V5CI

Last edited:
I had a smoke detector that was a couple of years old start chirping. I emailed the company and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. Apparently these devices are so sensitive now, replacing them is included in the cost

I know it's too late now, but for everybody else reading, use lithium batteries in your smoke detectors. They have a 10 year shelf life so you can keep them around and they last longer. I always have four around in case one alarm goes off so I can change them all. I tend to use them in low draw electronics anyway so I just make sure to replenish so I have at least 4.

I replace all batteries in the smoke detectors twice a year, when we set the clocks back or forward. That is overkill but is pretty common I believe. Have been in the house over twenty years. It really only had like two detectors when we moved in so I tossed those and bought all new, back then. I had a nephew staying with us and realized I had a perfect "uncle / nephew" project. I replaced all of them. I figure every twenty years that is a good idea.

I now use the sealed “10 year” units and replace them every 5 years. I also refuse to live in a place with gas appliances.

I almost killed myself in my carpet cleaning days by parking my van too close to a garage on a rainy day and flooding the house with exhaust. As far as I remember I felt ok, suddenly had to vomit, and if the little voice in my head didn’t tell me to not throw up in a customer’s bathroom, I would have died in there, instead of stumbling outside.

A neighbor died when the dust collector in his garage workshop drafted CO out of appliances. It was fine in the summer with garage open but not in the winter with the garage door ajar.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
People also seem to forget that the device itself has an expiration date regardless of the battery status. And the trouble chirp does NOT require a call to 911 and a fire department response but most people are clueless.

I’m interested in finding a good, portable smoke/co detector. Just back from a trip, nothing in the way of alarms in a funky, but charming rental.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a plug-in co detector that probably needs to be replaced due to age. I try to double up and have a combo smoke detector that has co capacity. In addition I have both ionization and photoelectric smoke alarms. Each type picks up different types fires at better rates. I have multiple units that act as a backup (I try to change batteries once a year) and fail safe where there is a false alarm or a bad detector.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Can you still get free batteries from the fire department? My smoke detectors are hardwired into the house. Still take battery backup of course. I need to change them. If I‘m shelling out nearly 20 bucks for 2 9v Lithium batteries I’m less inclined to change them every year. Nearly $60 bucks a year.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
They have CO detectors that plug into an outlet, but I don't know if they work if power goes out. I have this battery one, but can't swear it works either, as its never alerted us to a problem. Of course, if it didn't work I wouldn't be able to tell you. Hoping for better suggestions from our members.

Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Battery-Operated-Monoxide-KN-Copp-B-LPM/dp/B004Y6V5CI
Interesting idea. The Amazon reviews are a black hole. A few one star saying tested (in Garage) and didn’t work.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
All smoke detectors have a life usage expectancy of about 10yrs. If they’ve been up for 10yrs or more it’s hit or miss if they will work correctly in the event of a fire. Ours are hard wired with battery back-up. When we moved in to this house I switched out all the original (20yr old) smokes with smokes and combination smoke/co2 detectors depending on the area of the house. All bedrooms have combos and everywhere else is a smoke only. I also installed nest detectors that alert to smoke/co2 and let me know on my phone if they’re going off when we’re not home. The units I installed are a combo photoelectric/ionization detector to catch both flaming and smoldering fires.

Can you tell I’m an ex Firefighter/Paramedic? I know first hand that having functioning smoke detectors can save your life. Unfortunately I also know what can happen if you take the battery out of the smoke detector because you got tired of it beeping all the time.

I need to change my batteries. Unfortunately, my oldest freaks out if replacing the batteries results in the alarm going off (happens sometimes). I always tell myself I'll do it sometime when she's not around....but that is not a common scenario.

I have a smoke detector, but not a detector of CO, that’s carbon monoxide. That is a killer.

Current building codes require Carbon Monoxide detectors within 15 feet of any room used for sleeping purposes. Even if they are not explicitly required where you live, you should install them. I live in Illinois where they have been required since 2007.

I have installed one in my bedroom.I have one one just outside a bedroom only used for guests. I have one in the laundry room near my gas dryer. I have one near my fireplace with gas logs. I have one in the basement near my gas furnace. I do not have one in the garage as it might trigger when the car is started.

Carbon monoxide alarms/detectors are not expensive. Human lives are priceless. Thus, for anyone who does not have carbon monoxide detectors near their sleeping areas, please, please get them as soon as possible. Your life and those of your loved ones might well depend upon it.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Current building codes require Carbon Monoxide detectors within 15 feet of any room used for sleeping purposes. Even if they are not explicitly required where you live, you should install them. I live in Illinois where they have been required since 2007.

I have installed one in my bedroom.I have one one just outside a bedroom only used for guests. I have one in the laundry room near my gas dryer. I have one near my fireplace with gas logs. I have one in the basement near my gas furnace. I do not have one in the garage as it might trigger when the car is started.

Carbon monoxide alarms/detectors are not expensive. Human lives are priceless. Thus, for anyone who does not have carbon monoxide detectors near their sleeping areas, please, please get them as soon as possible. Your life and those of your loved ones might well depend upon it.
Have you ever had any issues with false alarms? Most manufactures recommend CO detectors between 15-20ft of gas appliance. All gas appliances will leak a little CO, but if properly vented it won’t be enough to cause any harm. The 15-20ft range is to prevent false alarms.

Have you checked your Smoke/CO batteries this month?

At our house, we had Smoke and CO alarms hardwired into the security alarm system. Besides the hardwired alarms, I had a portable CO detector in the basement near the furnace and hot water heater. We take that portable CO detector on trips, for hotel rooms.

We sold the house last year, and the town still made us install stand-alone battery alarms on each floor. We moved into an apartment with 4 integrated Smoke/CO detectors. The town fire inspector came in last year, used a stick to push the button on one unit. It beeped and he left. He never checked how old the batteries or units were.

Last week one of the alarms started chirping. The 9v battery I pulled expired several years ago. Today I replaced the other 3 batteries. The 9 volts were all expired, one of those having an expiration date of 2016.

At our old house, of almost 20 years, I kept an excel spreadsheet of all batteries in every device, by room. With the move, I haven't been keeping track for 18 months, but I've started updating my list, replacing all batteries, and starting from scratch. Even if not life-threatening, like clocks, I hate batteries corroding.
Thanks for the reminder. Regarding the carrying of a personal CO detector when traveling, I wonder what the standard is across the various US states and countries around the world regarding the monitoring of CO in buildings. Fire alarms and sprinkler systems are often visible, but CO monitoring not as much.

Here was an example of ignorance/incompetence back in 2013 at a Best Western in Boone, NC. Where the same hotel room struck two different families with CO deaths. Details in article:

IIRC that news story is what prompted me to install a CO detector in my home. :scared:

All smoke detectors have a life usage expectancy of about 10yrs. If they’ve been up for 10yrs or more it’s hit or miss if they will work correctly in the event of a fire. Ours are hard wired with battery back-up. When we moved in to this house I switched out all the original (20yr old) smokes with smokes and combination smoke/co2 detectors depending on the area of the house. All bedrooms have combos and everywhere else is a smoke only. I also installed nest detectors that alert to smoke/co2 and let me know on my phone if they’re going off when we’re not home. The units I installed are a combo photoelectric/ionization detector to catch both flaming and smoldering fires.

Can you tell I’m an ex Firefighter/Paramedic? I know first hand that having functioning smoke detectors can save your life. Unfortunately I also know what can happen if you take the battery out of the smoke detector because you got tired of it beeping all the time.
This is another good prompt. My wired/battery smoke detector is well over 20 years old. Your comment and this thread has motivated me to get a new smoke+CO detector combo. One that is wired with battery backup. My standalone CO detector is battery powered only.

Last edited:

I installed the same one. And have the same concern that there is no way to really know if it is functioning properly.

Can you still get free batteries from the fire department? My smoke detectors are hardwired into the house. Still take battery backup of course. I need to change them. If I‘m shelling out nearly 20 bucks for 2 9v Lithium batteries I’m less inclined to change them every year. Nearly $60 bucks a year.

After looking at the prices of lithium and Procell, I went to Costco and bought regular Duracell 9v. Pack of 8 for under $20. I needed a couple of regular 9v for other devices anyway. 2 of the 4 expired batteries from my detectors, were no-name 9v, including the one that expired in 2016 and istill worked.

Top Bottom