What's new

Smitten With Mutton! 😍

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Love the Stirling Mutton base. I actually found out about Stirling through the posts of @Hannah's Dad initially and the high praised it received from some of other vets on the board. As i lurker long before I joined, i listed to some more than others and it paid off. lol That being said, I doubled down on The Electric Sheep Glacial and its been my favorite shower soap too date. Great sickness for me and easy to work. I still really wanna try Varen though on account of the aforementioned influence. Electric sheeps scent STRONGLY reminds me of summer evenings as a young boy sitting on an old green lawn table thats flaking paint and well worn with an overly large and obnoxious all to familiar candle sitting smack dab in the middle. With all wicks ablaze on that citronella behemoth wafting about that sweet aroma in the Crisp North Dakota air as i sit patiently with my Remy 700 my father gave me eager to practice my skills on the next unexpecting (hopefully) critter that poked around out back the barn. Good times. Good soap.
And I’m just as smitten with mutton as ever. Glacial Electric Sheep is amazing.

Another flawless shave with Stirling’s Sheep. It’s official: Mutton is now my top choice for any tallow based shave soaps.

I absolutely love my beef and veggie based soaps and will still use them from time to time, but man-oh-man, do I love my mutton. I’m really tempted to try MWF next!

I'm not sure whether to pick up Varen or Scots Pine. Can someone describe these flavors? :mellow:

Samples, man: you can get a generous ounce of soap for $4.50 each.

I love pine—as experienced in east Texas, north Louisiana, and south Mississippi—and Scots Pine isn't that, (and maybe it isn't intended to be). For me, the SP registers as artificial, bone-dry, harsh, and maybe something like an unappealing candle on clearance at Hobby Lobby. Expectation was finding a favourite; instead, I gave away the splash sample and will plod through the soap.

Varen, on the other hand, is so oddly appealing I just re-upped on a second flask of the aftershave splash, and I have the wonderfully-conditioning soap in the grande size, as well as the (redundant, likely) balm and an EDT sample. The splash, for me, offers the superior scent across the rest of the Varen line.

Wish I could do a better job of breaking down accords and notes in Varen, but I can't, and I don't exactly understand why this stuff turns me into a wrist sniffer. There may be a play here between clean and dirt; that's just a guess. There is creamy roundness I perceive; it may go a little bit in the direction of vanilla—and I suppose that's the coumarin—but this no gourmand sweetie. If there is such a thing as appealing or balancing funk, I think that, too, may be in Varen.

Trying to find comparables to Varen in my collection, I can't, having tried Brut, Irisch Moos, Skin Bracer, and even spraying the 2010 iteration of Fougère Royale. Others may do better, and I look forward to reading any insights into the Varen scent.

Given the Stirling fan base here, I doubt you'll be terminally stuck should you happen to loathe either or both scents.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I can't; I'm out of the US.

Sorry about that.

Well, did my lengthy treatise on the relative merits help any? Maybe it can't, given the extremely subjective nature of olfactory preferences. The unscented sheep might be a safe choice.

Last shave, I used some Scots Pine (now mashed together with Coniferous) along with Glacial Citron and a myrrh soap from another house in a spontaneous bowl blend. Scent wasn't a problem, and the face feel was fantastic. The alchemy is fun, and even though a couple of those scents are misses for me, these are great-performing soaps.

I'm not sure whether to pick up Varen or Scots Pine. Can someone describe these flavors? :mellow:
To me Varen is a soapy earthy scent and it’s pretty strong. Might even be a little flinty. The Pine sheep is a light piny scent. If you want something with residual smell get the Varen. If you want a lighter scent go pine sheep. If you like lemon or cintronella get electric sheep. Or just buy them all :). Hope this helps.

Top Bottom