What's new

Smith & Wesson Military & Police Bodyguard 380 back from the mothership.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
You know that name is simply way too long for this small a pistol.

Well after about 200 rounds (all factory and non-P+ ammo) the BG380 (there, that fits better) developed a problem. It would lock open on an empty mag but as soon as I release the mag the slide would slam forward. The first couple times I figured it was something I was doing but looking at the slide stop was not fully engaged. If I pushed it further up it would hold the slide open for a mag swap but that's not really a great plan under stress conditions.

proxy.php

I contacted S&W and the said send it back and sent a prepaid label and RMA.

Two weeks later it returned with a note saying they replaced the slide stop mechanism. So far that seems to have cured things but since the issue didn't show up at first on the original pieces part I will wait a run a few boxes of ammo through it before calling it FIXED!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So far, "but I'm feeling much better now." (wonder how many recognize the reference?)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
great show and I'm pretty sure the quote is from a movie.
TV show. In fact a Court TV show. Think "Luke, I am your father" but Harry not Luke and more How I Met Your Mother than Light Swords.

And Update on the S&W M&P BG380 ... still locking back on empty magazine and stays locked back when I drop the empty and insert new one but the sucker still has the most kickback and recoil of any of the little pocket 380s including the straight blowback ones.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Continuing the Smith & Wesson Military & Police Bodyguard 380 saga.

So since the little guy returned from it Spa Day and slidelockectomy it has reliably locked open on an empty magazine and stayed open when the empty magazine is dropped and closed reliably with either the sling method or using the slide catch so that's all good.

But of all the small 380s it was still the hardest to rack. And I mean really hard, like no way Jose. The BG380 uses a dula spring around a stainless guide rod slide recoil and return spring set so I bought a few sets and tried using just the inner or just the outer or inner plus outer minus a couple turns and each experiment did make it slightly but not significantly easy to rack the slide but still not pleasant and still near impossible when there was a round stuck or feed/ejection issue.

With a full mag it was really near impossible. I could manage using a cross chest hold with a full cover and hand wrapped over the slide but ejecting hot ammo into the palm of my hand is really not my favorite pastime. Also that meant I had to turn my whole body awkwardly to make sure the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction. Not a good practice from any perspective.

So I got all of the different pocket pistols out side by side and just stared at them for awhile.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

All of the pocket 380s except the Smith have large deep sharp serrations on the slide while the Smith has the pretty little wavy things. So maybe the issue isn't that the springs are too heavy, maybe it is simply a matter of traction?

So I had some non-skid flooring strips with heavy adhesive backing. I did a good clean of the slide to make sure there was no gun oil or lube on the outside of the slide and cut down some strips to give it a try. On the left side I used a longer strip and on the right a shorter one to avoid the extractor.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The difference is amazing, the Ugly Duckling turned into a swan. Racking is now a breeze. The non-skid strip I used is pretty aggressive and so I'll be looking for something not quite so aggressive. It may take several tries to find the perfect material but the difference is so great it's well worth the effort.

Top Bottom