What's new

Smiling Edge Razor

Well as I said I found a smiling edge! The old Wade & Butcher. Even came in its original case. No rust at all. Just some stains. Nothing Flitz wouldn't clean.
Its actually a Wedge razor. But I love the weight , and don't mind it a bit.

Beautiful razor, that should be one heck of a shaver once its cleaned up and honed. Congratulations on the stellar score.

VERY nice -- I'd love to get my hands on one of those without having to sell my first born to do so.

Believe it or not, this gem cost me only $63. An ebay seller who wasn't a collector and didn't care or know about razors. I thought for sure others would beat me in the price. Alas, I won!

I've found them a little trickier to hone, but it's worth it. I like my smiling razors, but wouldn't want them all that way.

Funny, 8 years later and I'm still confused. Is a smile when the curved spine and the curved razor edge are parallel or when the razor spine is straight but the edge is curved?

I always thought "smile" referred to the edge, not the spine. Although I love the parallel look of a gentle curve in both.

I always thought "smile" referred to the edge, not the spine. Although I love the parallel look of a gentle curve in both.

This is what I always thought as well, the smile is the edge of the blade. It seems like it can be from honing or simply made that way. Some people think they may shave better as well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Smile refers to the edge profile.

When razors were all hand forged, most of them had a smiling edge. It is a natural consequence of hammering out the blade. Hammer steel thinner, and it has to go somewhere. So it gets wider and longer. Increase the length at the edge but not at the spine, and you get a curve. Simple.

Razors that start straight and develop a smile over time are a consequence of poor honing, often a deliberate attempt to target heel and toe. Doesn't really hurt anything, within reason, though. After honing a lot of smileys, where you have to roll down to catch the heel and up to catch the toe, a rolling x stroke probably becomes second nature to many honers.

Myself, I prefer straight edges. They suit my honing style better. When I hone a vintage basket case and bring it back to life, if the heel and toe are worn away I sometimes just leave them be, and dont worry about getting a perfect edge on that last 1/4" or so. Particularly when honing chips or pits out of the edge. I prefer to allow heel and toe to catch up over time with the rest of the edge. Often a honer will target the ends of the edge and add extra wear there, making it even more pronounced, in a misguided effort to get every millimeter of blade shaving. Eventually a pronounced smile or taper results. Bad thing? Good thing? Nah. It's a preference thing. But it should be understood that your honing technique, over many years, can influence the edge profile. Within reason, you can hone it straight, or you can hone a curve into it. Or you can maintain it in its original profile by honing appropriately.

I love a smiling blade they seem to get into the natural curves of the face easier.The only slight downside is you have to master the rolling x stroke when honing but once mastered its easy enough. $image.jpg

Top Bottom