What's new

Smell of japanese natural whetstones

It may sound a bit weird but it seems for me that stones out of different quarries smells different.
I only own 9 Jnats which are not all bought by reputable sellers where you can trust the origin of the mine but I noticed some similarities and differences among them and I am curious if you guys have similar patterns. I am doing probably a poor job in describing the nuances of the smell but I would say that my stones which are sold as Ozukus, have a more earthy smell which can tingle a bit and fall off in midbetween. On the other hand those stones which are sold to me as Nakayamas have a more fresh and a slight flowery smell. Their intensity varies from stone to stone and from 5 stones which are sold to me as Nakayamas are 2 where I would have a harder time telling you if it has this certain smell but nevertheless the intensest do smell different than the Ozukus (which are bought on JNS). I own one stone which was sold to me as a Narutaki (It is wet very reddish.) Which has a crazy intensive smell which is kinda fresh, sweet and a bit synthetic. All of my stones are not sealed except one Nakayama. The Narutaki was once sealed but the sealing got lapped of and only a tiny bit is left in a side hole. I think I will do a blind test where someone helps me in the future to empirical find out if I just lost my mind or these differences are real. I am curious about your answers.

I’ve noticed the scents. Especially recently noticed a particular ohwyee jasper stone smells like it came out of a smokers home.

thought the smell would subside but its truly then scent of the stone it seems as the slurry while lapping is crazy smoky.

My koma nagura and another tomo nagura gives of a distinct pine smell, the smell faded drastically when I sealed them, which I kind of regret now lol.

Top Bottom