What's new

Smartwool vs Darn Tough socks

For a note to increase longevity, it's recommended to wash merino socks inside out, and also to not put them through the dryer if you can help it. I definitely find it increases sock lifetime. Cheers

Since I wear a ton of ibex wool t shirts and shorts as well as heaps of wool socks, I wash all my wool in Eucalan.
Air dry. Stuff dries so fast no reason to put in the dryer and wear it out.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Since I wear a ton of ibex wool t shirts and shorts as well as heaps of wool socks, I wash all my wool in Eucalan.
Air dry. Stuff dries so fast no reason to put in the dryer and wear it out.

Can you talk a bit about the Eucalan? How does it differ from Woolite?

Eucalan Ingredient List:

• Essential Oil
    (Pure and natural eucalyptus,
    lavender,grapefruit and or jasmine oils)
  • Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate
    (Vegetable-based soap)
  • Ammonium Chloride
    (Is a salt of ammonia;
    used as a thickener)
  • Cocamide MEA
    (Mild foaming agent and thickener
    derived from plant source)
  • Purified Water
  • Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
    (Thickener derived from
    plant source)
  • PEG 75 Lanolin
    (Naturally derived lanolin)
  • Methylchloroisothiazolinone
    (Preservative and antibacterial)

Ingredients[edit]

• Water
  • Alkylbenzene Sulfonic Acid
  • C12-16 Alcohols Ethoxylated 7EO
  • Sodium Laureth Sulfate
  • Sodium Hydroxide
  • Coconut Acid
  • Triethanolamine
  • Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate
  • Sodium Chloride
  • Proprietary Inert Filler
  • Sodium Formate
  • Fragrance
  • BHT Preservative
  • Benzisothiazolinone
  • Methylisothiazolinone[SUP][4][/SUP]
Woolite

You don't rinse out the eucalan. Check out their website.
Makes the wool nice and soft. The lanolin moisturizes the wool fibers.
Woolite is just well marketed crappy soap, no lanolin. Full of sodium hydroxide, which is caustic soda or lye. Way too harsh for good wool.

I wear merino socks daily. Just this week I have worn them to hike in, hunt in, ride my bike in and at work. The diversity and quality of the products in the SmartWool line has made them my favorite for years. I ran across this post while doing some research on washing and care of merino wool. The information on eucalan is great - I have ordered some and can't wait to try it out (supposed to be here today).

Also, although this thread is fairly old, I would like to point out that SmartWool has a pretty amazing guarantee. Basically if you're unsatisfied with a product for any reason you can either return it to the store where you purchased it OR ship it back to SmartWool's Guarantee Department ([email protected] ). Although I've only used it once, their guarantee gives me confidence in purchasing SmartWool.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I recently purchased some Merrell socks and they are very comfortable. No idea yet how they will last.

I am well pleased with smart wool socks, so have no reason to change. Look forward to seeing if the Darn Tough socks work as well. Please keep us posted!

I have worn almost every wool sock produced. I find I keep grabing my alpaca wool ones the most. another amazing brand is named "fits" been around in usa well over a hundred years making socks for other companies now making a superior sock for themselves. very high wool content doesn't slide in shoe and somewhat tight on my larger calves but probably perfect for most people. I still consider these the best of all my socks for boots and sneakers. wore a lot of cotton and thorlos for years and years., check them out folks

I've had several pairs of smartwool...they all fell apart in less than a year. Switched to Darn Tough six months ago...so far, they're as good as new.

I have a pair of DT that I have been using for 5+ years and they look new. Smartwool socks stretch too much for me. DT socks are by far my favorite. I have 6 pairs currently .

UPDATE: Since my original post, I have bought 5 pairs of Darn tough crew. Their Solid Crew Light are perfect; right height for me, match with dress trousers, thin enough for dress shoes and thick enough for work boots.

I bought them all in black, so there isnt any issues with matching socks, and then tossed out the assorted Gold Toe and cotton crew socks that I had. I still have my merino OTC socks from Lands End (all black as well), but in crew length they are all Darn Tough

Athletic socks are all white Swiftwick, but that is another thread

I have just tried out a pair of Darn Tough, I bought a pair of "micro crew cushion" to compare to my SmartWool socks. I should have bought a pair in full crew / boot cut length, because the micro crew length is noticeably short - distractingly so I would have to say.

The footbed seems fine, but the length is just odd.

Top Bottom