What's new

Smaller Brush For Beard Shaving?

Hey Guys,
I often have a beard and only shave with the grain every day-usually just one pass and touch ups with a DE razor. I like to mix lather in a scuttle mug with a thin coating of creamy lather from a hard soap.
I am thinking a smaller silver tip badger would fit the bill. Maybe with a slightly longer knob to reduce the clanking noise while mixing. Any suggestions or alternate opinions about this plan. I would really appreciate specific recommendations. My budget is around $60. to $75.

Totally agree on the smaller size.

I often grow a beard for a few months at a time and then just shave my neck every few days. For me, since it's not really the whole shave experience, I somehow fall into the "get it done" efficiency trap. :)

For that, nothing works as fast for me as a synthetic. I don't care for the face feel, but a synthetic with some creme, I have lather in moments, can clean up my neck, done. I think it would also be quite efficient with a hard soap, though I'm not sure I've ever used my synthetics with hard soaps.

That doesn't totally comport with your approach, totally understand, just offering my approach.

If you don’t mind a stubby handle, a Simpsons Case in Pure or Best is an under-appreciated gem and an excellent bargain. Mine is in Best, and it’s got soft tips but the ability to lather anything efficiently.

If you want a longer handle, look at the Shavemac Web site, where all combos of handles and knots are available, or drop a note to Rudy Vey to get a custom job.

Seems clanking would be a function of loft. Not clear how handle length would help but never have used an M7 or Rubberset 400 type handle.
Good point. Thanks. I am looking at the Simpsons and leaning toward the Emperor Super 1 with a knot of 18mm and height of 95 mm.

You could refurbish a vintage handle (they are normally small 20-22mm in size) with a badger, boar or synthetic knot for under $30 for synthetic/boar. If you do some looking, you can find a vintage brushes (I have three vintage Ever-Ready boar and a badger/boar mixed in the 20-22mm range) in good shape (the smaller knots have great backbone and don't fling lather everywhere when face lathering) that do a great job lathering all soaps and applied to the neck/upper cheeks. Barring that, a new small, synthetic knot from Yaqi would do a fine job for less than a badger brush without having to soak prior. The red/white 20mm vintage boar below (picked up for $10) is great for full face or neck trim duties without wasting soap, and carries enough soap for 3 passes, and the Ever-Ready 200 was bought and re-knotted for under $25 with a 22mm synthetic tuxedo knot from Maggards.
Acquisition5.jpg

I too have a beard, a goatee to be exact, and use a smaller brush. For a long time, my go to brush was my Omega Boar/Badger travel brush. Love that brush. It has a small knot, around 18mm, and the only negative for me is the small handle.

I recently bought a Simpson S1 Best Badger. It also has an 18mm knot with a similar loft to the Omega. The big difference is it has a larger handle, so is easier to lather for me.

I also bought a Maggards synthetic travel brush with similar specs to the Simpsons S1. I’m just not as big of a fan of the synthetic brushes.

I too have a beard, a goatee to be exact, and use a smaller brush. For a long time, my go to brush was my Omega Boar/Badger travel brush. Love that brush. It has a small knot, around 18mm, and the only negative for me is the small handle.

I recently bought a Simpson S1 Best Badger. It also has an 18mm knot with a similar loft to the Omega. The big difference is it has a larger handle, so is easier to lather for me.

I also bought a Maggards synthetic travel brush with similar specs to the Simpsons S1. I’m just not as big of a fan of the synthetic brushes.
Good observation @guzziknight. The Simpson Special is a nice option as well. I had forgotten about it when I posted before. As guzziknight pointed out, a smaller brush with a nice sized handle. The best grade you can get it in is "Best", but Simpson Best is usually very nice.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of buying new shaving gear, but have you considered modifying your grip when building lather? I tend to move my fingertips closer to the knot whenever I use one of my smaller brushes. This pretty much eliminates the clanking. YMMV

Good point. Thanks. I am looking at the Simpsons and leaning toward the Emperor Super 1 with a knot of 18mm and height of 95 mm.
Recently picked up a Tulip 1 which has similar knot 19x43 as the E1 Super 18x43 according to Simpsons website. While I would have preferred Simpson's hybrid or bulb shape it has remarkable back bone for a 3-band hair in fan. I think due to the rather short loft and it's fairly densely packed with that super hair. Not usually a fan of soft knots but liking this little brush. Sporting a scrubby short beard so neck shave daily 2 passes is the new norm for me, face lather only.

For about the same money the Black Friday 2-band SiLVERTiP's are interesting too. I hope you enjoy whatever you get.

Good observation @guzziknight. The Simpson Special is a nice option as well. I had forgotten about it when I posted before. As guzziknight pointed out, a smaller brush with a nice sized handle. The best grade you can get it in is "Best", but Simpson Best is usually very nice.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks! I forgot to add that it only costs around $35!

Top Bottom