• Hey Guest. We are currently doing lots and lots of work on the forum software. Please be patient while the kinks are worked out.

Thanks!

Small vs Larger Knots

Whilst my observation might seem pretty obvious (!) to those experienced with small knots, I thought I would share it. I recently visited Spain where I wanted to find a cheap horse-hair brush since I had never tried that before. I found a Vie-Long 12601 for around Euro 10 and have been experimenting with it. With a knot of 20mm, it is by far my smallest brush. But, it creates a really substantial lather not to mention an excellent on-face feel. Given that the rest of my brushes are 24mm to 28mm, this little Spaniard almost seemed better than some of the others I have. But, was that simply because it's smaller and I used more or less the same amount of cream I would use on a larger brush? I assume a larger brush requires more product? Perhaps I don't add enough for my larger brushes but this 'wee Spaniard' is a winner in my books!

naughtilus

Contributor
A bigger knot definitely needs more product and IME they underperform for face lathering duty compared to <24mm knots.

Agreed. Since I now prefer to face-lather, I find my smaller knots much more appealing.
It is definitely a matter of personal preference. I bowl lather as my face is too sensitive to face lather.

My smallest brush is a Vie Long PB14080 horse hair. I believe it has a 20mm knot and that is too small for me. It sits on the back of the shelf and is no longer included in my brush rotation. However, I do like its big brother, the Vie Long 123061 at 24 mm.

My two biggest brushes are a 28mm Maggard Super High Density two-band badger and a Omega 10098 28mm dia and 60mm loft. The Omega works just fine. I find the Maggard to be just a little too big, I wish I had purchased a 26mm knot instead.

If find 24-26 mm to be best for me. With fan-shaped knots, 24-25 mm work best. For bulb shaped knots, I prefer 26 mm. I like these larger brushes as l typically build enough lather for 4 passes. Even if I do not do a 4th pass, I relather one last time and leave the lather on my face while I clean the razor, bowl and brush. I use soaps with excellent moisturizing and conditioning, so this last lather helps soften my face.

Most of my favourites are in the 22-24mm category, with face lathering being my general go-to (with a beard).

I do have a Maggards 18mm on the way that I’m excited to try out, and was presently surprised with what the little bambino could produce from such a small brush (I’m on the hunt for the perfect travel brush); eventually, I’ll add the wee scot to that mix as well.

If you’re a fan of smaller brushes, I do recommend giving the bambino a go - it’s comedically small, but lathers far better than you’d think.

Rudy Vey

Contributor
Vendor
I have brushes from 18-30+ mm, but mostly grab the 24-26 mm size when I am home (but use a 19 mm Muehle synthetic STF on the road). It is the size I like the most and feel comfortable with. However, size is a personal thing, I have customers that like smallish brushes and others I cannot get knots big enough for.

Most of my favourites are in the 22-24mm category, with face lathering being my general go-to (with a beard).

I do have a Maggards 18mm on the way that I’m excited to try out, and was presently surprised with what the little bambino could produce from such a small brush (I’m on the hunt for the perfect travel brush); eventually, I’ll add the wee scot to that mix as well.

If you’re a fan of smaller brushes, I do recommend giving the bambino a go - it’s comedically small, but lathers far better than you’d think.

Since you are only shaving the small area around a beard, I am not surprised that you like a smaller brush. That is the same principle that is used with painting. If you are painting walls, you use a roller or 4" wide wall brush. If you are painting trim, you pick a smaller brush.

My travel brush is Simpsons Wee Scot (roughly 14 mm) which works surprisingly well! Most of my daily brushes are in the 20-24 mm range which is very comfortable for me (100% face lather hard soaps). :a29::a29:

I have 19, 20, and 23 that I rotate. I used the 19 today and it created a ton of lather from a good soap (SV). It blooms more than the 20 and releases more lather with adequate backbone. Sometimes, the 23 almost feels too big. If I bought another it would be 21 or 22 with the right mix of bloom and backbone. We are all different...

I had been enjoying 24 mm brushes, and then I bought two 27.5 mm Zenith brushes - a B15 and a M5. And now I am really enjoying the larger knots.

I have brushes from 18-30+ mm, but mostly grab the 24-26 mm size when I am home (but use a 19 mm Muehle synthetic STF on the road). It is the size I like the most and feel comfortable with. However, size is a personal thing, I have customers that like smallish brushes and others I cannot get knots big enough for.
Perfectly said... YMMV and preferences!

I face lather and for me a brush with a large knot is preferable. I have a Chubby 2 with I love and just took delivery of a synth that is the same size. I agree they eat more product (but I have a lot of soaps so no concern about that). The larger knots feel more luxurious to me. That being said, I may try a brush with a small knot one day.

I’ve got/had 14-28s. I face lather exclusively, and have been happy with most of them.

The Wee Scott is just too small for more than 1-2 shaves on the road. It got replaced by an Omega mixed midget. At 18mm and a better grip in hand I could easily daily it. Once it broke in.

My 21mm M&F L7 is brilliant. I’d love a 24-26 in it and came close to one recently.

24mm tends to be my sweet spot.

I’ve got a M&F/Sears Chubby 2 @ 28mm. Size is fine, but the density makes it stiffer than I’d prefer. I think you have to love chubbies for being chubbies, and I’m only about 85% there.

I like them all. I usually travel with a 16mm (I have about a half dozen), sometimes with a Wee Scot (14mm?), or sometimes with an 18 mm (Omega and others). At home I tend to use larger brushes, in the 26 mm to 30 mm range, but might use anything from 19 mm up to Sumo (38 mm). I must admit that Sumo doesn't get much action though, just as the Wee Scot. My favorite is probably my 30 mm X 69 mm Super Silvertip.

Enjoy what you have.