What's new

Small Victory

I received this coticule 7 or 8 years ago (gift purchased from TSS) when I was at the height of my traditional wet shaving exploration. I made the ultimate rookie mistake of attempting to learn how to use a straight razor AND hone at the same time. For the newbies, these efforts really shouldn’t be attempted in parallel. Later on I had fairly consistent success with lapping film, but due to life happening (job, kids, house, etc.) I unfortunately had to focus on a daily driver and put the toys away. So back to DEs I went.

Due to recent events, I found myself with a lot more time, after working on some kitchen knives I decided to jump back in, but I required a shave ready razor. So out comes the boxes. I decided to finally break this rock, figuratively of course. I have never had much success with it and frankly I was expecting more disappointment. My consolation was that since I’ve been visiting B&B more lately I could just put it up for sale on the BST.

Thanks again to the wealth of knowledge logged on this forum, I attempted a less than scientific dilucot method after beating the devil out of the bevel on a DMT 1200. This beater razor is slightly off near the heel. Anyway, two days later and finished with a good stropping session on canvas and leather, this razor is singing. I’m glad I didn’t give up on this hone.

I’m a little spoiled from my Feather with its instant blade changes, no stropping, and the ability to be put away wet, but this edge was soft yet sharp. It’s made me a believer. Anyway, thank you to you all for all the info over the years. It’s a small victory but much needed.

P.S. If anyone has an eye for coticules and can identify it, I would appreciate it.
A4208073-146F-4F0B-9775-0EF4AB3F3E21.jpeg

Credit where it's due. DMT 1200 is a damn near miracle hone. If you're willing to learn a little for a dilucot, it plus a coticule is a $100 honing kit that can restore and finish a lifetime of razors.

Glad you got back into it. Nothing compares to a proper straight shave.

Credit where it's due. DMT 1200 is a damn near miracle hone. If you're willing to learn a little for a dilucot, it plus a coticule is a $100 honing kit that can restore and finish a lifetime of razors.

I have a way to go. I need to be able to repeat the results, but this is a leap forward. You’re right about the DMT. I’ve never regretted buying it. I started with a light to medium slurry that quickly accumulated swarf. I was actually surprised at how much metal the coticule took off the blade. In all, it probably took about 1.5 hours to get completely shave ready. I’ll be a bit more scientific next time. I’m curious how different steel will react. So far, the old German blades like it.

No lie, D8F -> fast jnat is my most reliable progression. I'd imagine D8E -> coti would work very similarly. It's been years since I've bothered with an intermediate grit synth, I just don't feel any benefits on my face. When I was looking, I didn't see any on the scope either tbh.

Top Bottom