What's new

small tabac (vegan) review

so, I decided to buy a refill puck of the new tabac which is the vegan version. I wanted to see if it was as good as the tallow version or worse. I just used it for a shave tonight and I have to say, it's a pretty dam good soap. It lathers very easily and just as good as the tallow tabac. The smell to me is pretty identical to the tallow version which I do have a puck of. for tabac tallow lovers, give the vegan tabac a try. I don't think you will be as disappointed as you may think. I really cannot notice any difference at all between the vegan and tallow version of tabac. Now would I buy the vegan version again? probably not because I have many other soaps I have to use, but I think it's worth having a puck of the vegan tabac in your shave den. to me, it smells identical to the tallow tabac and it lathers just as easily if not easier than the tallow version. this is just based on my personal experience. The more recent views of the vegan tabac were positive on here. so, if you like the tabac scent and the ease of lathering of the tallow tabac, I believe you should give the vegan version a try. I personally prefer tallow soaps over vegetable myself, but vegetable shave soaps are just as good as tallow ones in my opinion. to me, when comparing it to other vegetable based shave soaps like PDP, TOBS, razorock wtp, etc, the vegan tabac lathers easily imo than the other vegetable based shave soaps I have.

I found the old Tabac to be something odmf a miracle. Unbelievable fragrance. Sometimes in the bathroom I'd take the bowl out and smell the puck. Then there was the lather. Creamy and smooth as silk. Personally I find neither of these qualities in the new Tabac. The smell is similar but it's a really light fragrance. The lather and performance is just meh. Used to be a top shelf product and now it's just OK. Not even as good to me now as any Proraso product.

I've got both stored up now. It's the only shaving soap that I will continue to hoard- doesn't matter which version. For me, the differences are minimal and definitely not a deal breaker. One of the best- and I sometimes panic at night that it will be discontinued like the Moos. ;)

I unfortunately did not stock up on that.

so, I decided to buy a refill puck of the new tabac which is the vegan version. I wanted to see if it was as good as the tallow version or worse. I just used it for a shave tonight and I have to say, it's a pretty dam good soap. It lathers very easily and just as good as the tallow tabac. The smell to me is pretty identical to the tallow version which I do have a puck of. for tabac tallow lovers, give the vegan tabac a try. I don't think you will be as disappointed as you may think. I really cannot notice any difference at all between the vegan and tallow version of tabac. Now would I buy the vegan version again? probably not because I have many other soaps I have to use, but I think it's worth having a puck of the vegan tabac in your shave den. to me, it smells identical to the tallow tabac and it lathers just as easily if not easier than the tallow version. this is just based on my personal experience. The more recent views of the vegan tabac were positive on here. so, if you like the tabac scent and the ease of lathering of the tallow tabac, I believe you should give the vegan version a try. I personally prefer tallow soaps over vegetable myself, but vegetable shave soaps are just as good as tallow ones in my opinion. to me, when comparing it to other vegetable based shave soaps like PDP, TOBS, razorock wtp, etc, the vegan tabac lathers easily imo than the other vegetable based shave soaps I have.
I've also found the new Vegan Tabac to be excellent. First acquired roughly a couple of months ago and use it in my rotation. Easy to quickly create lots of slick, creamy and long lasting later. Enjoy the scent though it does dissipate in the open bowl I store it in.

In my opinion, the vegan Tabac doesn't have the same cushion as the previous tallow formula. And cushion is where Tabac really did shine, for me. It was my favorite part of the Tabac experience and it's substantially reduced in the vegan formula.

been doing more test lathers and shaves with this soap and it continues to impress me. The veggie tabac is extremely easy to lather and 10 seconds of loading for me is enough for 3 passes
I totally agree. The Tabac shaving stick (new formula) is my favourite soap. I use it for shaving in the mornings before work. Within seconds I get enough lather for several passes. If you get the chance to test it, give it a chance.

Tabac is a soap I really want to try. I contacted the folks at Fendrihan and they confirmed that they still have the older formula.
All I've ever shaved with have been veggie based products so that's my preference. Just wondering if you guys feel it's worth going with the original. I joined the 2023 shaving purchase sabbatical so it's now or wait until 2024! :)

I find the new vegan formula requires a minor adjustment to lather but is a better soap overall than the tallow version.

The biggest thing with the vegan is it needs to be loaded a little longer with a heavier hand, but that’s it. It feels better on my skin, impedes the blade less, and feels better rinsing off with a nicer post-shave feel than the tallow version does.

I can see why so many people love the tallow version though. There’s an underlying oiliness to it that’s absent in the vegan. I will gladly give that up for the pros mentioned above however.

The one thing that either version of Tabac provides is that magically glassy smooth and soft face an hour after I shave. No other product does this for me like Tabac.

Tabac is still a legend, tallow or no tallow. Their chemists knew what they were doing in 1959 and still know what they are doing going into 2023!

Last edited:
I find the new vegan formula requires a minor adjustment to lather but is a better soap overall than the tallow version.

The biggest thing with the vegan is it needs to be loaded a little longer with a heavier hand, but that’s it. It feels better on my skin, impedes the blade less, and feels better rinsing off with a nicer post-shave feel than the tallow version does.

I can see why so many people love the tallow version though. There’s an underlying oiliness to it that’s absent in the vegan. I will gladly give that up for the pros mentioned above however.

The one thing that either version of Tabac provides is that magically glassy smooth and soft face an hour after I shave. No other product does this for me like Tabac.

Tabac is still a legend, tallow or no tallow. Their chemists knew what they were doing in 1959 and still know what they are doing going into 2023!
amen. I just want to add I did a 10 second load with the veggie tabac and got enough lather for 3 passes. The new veggie tabac lathers as well if not a little bit better than the tallow tabac in my experience, but you can't really go wrong with either tabac.

Only used the tallow version, still have to finish the last bit of it (will take me at least another half year, because of the other soaps I use as well). Then my non-tallow puck can finally show it’s potential!

Tabac is a soap I really want to try. I contacted the folks at Fendrihan and they confirmed that they still have the older formula.
All I've ever shaved with have been veggie based products so that's my preference. Just wondering if you guys feel it's worth going with the original. I joined the 2023 shaving purchase sabbatical so it's now or wait until 2024! :)
I'd say yes, it would be worth getting some of the older tallow formula. It has a rich, somewhat oily lather that works great for shaving, especially in colder weather. I haven't tried the vegan version of Tabac, but I'll say some other German veggie soaps like Klar Seifen and Golddachs perform very well, also.

I joined GRUYERE so I missed my opportunity to make a Tabac purchase before the calendar turned to 2023.

I need to append the above. After using a synthetic brush to lather vegan Tabac, I find vegan Tabac slick and “oily” very much like tallow Tabac!

When I tried face-lathering the vegan Tabac using my trusty Duke 2 in Best a while back, I didn’t have the usual lather I have when using the tallow Tabac. But after todays maiden new year shave, I was pleasantly surprised! I kept checking to make sure I used the right stick and wasn’t using the tallow version instead!

Several members on this forum have said using a synthetic with vegan Tabac results in the best lather and I have to agree. Just wanted to note it here.

Well, thanks to you guys and this never-ending debate, I now have a puck of the vegan Tabac to try, even though I haven't yet finished my tallow Tabac. But in my search for a moderately priced, basic, reliable, traditional tallow soap to replace Tabac, so I can bow to tradition and not be all-vegan, I think I have broken through on the second try. Cella I found unremarkable, but Stirling is very good. So life and shaving can go on.

Well, thanks to you guys and this never-ending debate, I now have a puck of the vegan Tabac to try, even though I haven't yet finished my tallow Tabac. But in my search for a moderately priced, basic, reliable, traditional tallow soap to replace Tabac, so I can bow to tradition and not be all-vegan, I think I have broken through on the second try. Cella I found unremarkable, but Stirling is very good. So life and shaving can go on.
Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF)? That said I have found both MWF and vegan Tabac to be excellent with a slight edge to MWF for post shave feel.

I need to append the above. After using a synthetic brush to lather vegan Tabac, I find vegan Tabac slick and “oily” very much like tallow Tabac!

When I tried face-lathering the vegan Tabac using my trusty Duke 2 in Best a while back, I didn’t have the usual lather I have when using the tallow Tabac. But after todays maiden new year shave, I was pleasantly surprised! I kept checking to make sure I used the right stick and wasn’t using the tallow version instead!

Several members on this forum have said using a synthetic with vegan Tabac results in the best lather and I have to agree. Just wanted to note it here.
Consistent with my experience noted in my post above where I used a plissoft synthetic with the vegan Tabac for excellent lather.

I'd say yes, it would be worth getting some of the older tallow formula. It has a rich, somewhat oily lather that works great for shaving, especially in colder weather. I haven't tried the vegan version of Tabac, but I'll say some other German veggie soaps like Klar Seifen and Golddachs perform very well, also.
Revisiting this thread. I took a chance on ordering the original Tabac and I'm glad I did. It's a fantastic soap. I shave daily and I'm using it two/three days per week.
Lineup ready for Tabac Tuesday.
IMG_2645.jpg

Top Bottom