What's new

Small old Thuringian finer than dark blue Escher (big one)?

Does anyone with both stones share the same idea that this may be true? This evening I was playing with a new routine of mine and I decided to try to finish on my Dark BLue Escher with just water. It was no where near as fine at my little Thuringian in the box with just water (It's a light grey and not dark like the blue).

I may have to start having a progressive finish routine with the stages of Escher colors at the end! :lol::lol::thumbup:

problem is those are natural stones and it's hard for some one else to have the same stones to comment on the honing outcome.

My finest three thuringians consist of a Mueller Thuringian, a old stone that apparently was collected from a Polish Concentration camp and shows no signs of being Escher (eBay stone), and an American import Barbers hone that doesn't even mention it's origin. I'm not saying that Eschers are any worse than other Thuringians, I've just owned about eight times as many Thuri's as Eschers, and since it's all the same rock, well probability being what it is...

The best indication of Thuri fineness short of testing them is seeing how cold they feel. Colder stones are finer. I suspect the Jnat guys probably can explain why this is to you if you ask them nicely... I prefer to see if people can figure it out on there own (it's so obvious that if I told you, you'd laugh at yourself).

Last edited:
Post the picture of small thuri or picture of he label usually inside wooden box.
then we may say which one is better.

Post the picture of small thuri or picture of he label usually inside wooden box.
then we may say which one is better.

Here you go, Sham, I've sent them to you in Pms before but that was a long time ago!

Small Thuringian first, one side is lighter than the other, used with water:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Blue Escher, I use with slurry:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

from first picture i would say small one is finer.
try to test . hone couple blades and shave test . see what happens.gl

Sham I used them in a progression from dark blue escher to small thuringian and the results were better than dark blue alone.

Thanks!

Sham I used them in a progression from dark blue escher to small thuringian and the results were better than dark blue alone.

Thanks!

My finest three thuringians consist of a Mueller Thuringian, a old stone that apparently was collected from a Polish Concentration camp and shows no signs of being Escher (eBay stone), and an American import Barbers hone that doesn't even mention it's origin. I'm not saying that Eschers are any worse than other Thuringians, I've just owned about eight times as many Thuri's as Eschers, and since it's all the same rock, well probability being what it is...

The best indication of Thuri fineness short of testing them is seeing how cold they feel. Colder stones are finer. I suspect the Jnat guys probably can explain why this is to you if you ask them nicely... I prefer to see if people can figure it out on there own (it's so obvious that if I told you, you'd laugh at yourself).

Awesome info!

The small thuri defintely feels colders and more solid than the dark blue escher.

Top Bottom