What's new

Small Crack inside Pipe Bowl

I recently bought a used briar pipe off of the 'bay. It smelled horrible, so I cleaned it out using the salt-treatment twice and ran about 20 pipe cleaners soaked in alcohol through the shank.

Unfortunately now that it is clean, I noticed that there is a small split/crack going from the smoke-hole upwards about 3/4th of the bowl. The crack/split is only on the inside. Is it okay to smoke this pipe? Is it going to cause the pipe to split all the way through, or will it be okay if I give it plenty of time to rest between smokes (~a week)?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The crack will likely progress or cause a burn out. Nothing you can do about it at this point. I'd just smoke it until it's toast. You could try to mud the crack, which may help, but no promises. It certainly won't hurt to do that, and it may help.

You could light it up outside on a windy day and give it a vikings funeral! A bowl of Scandinavik sounds appropriate for the task.:001_smile

You could light it up outside on a windy day and give it a vikings funeral! A bowl of Scandinavik sounds appropriate for the task.:001_smile

LOL!!!!!!!

The crack will likely progress or cause a burn out. Nothing you can do about it at this point. I'd just smoke it until it's toast. You could try to mud the crack, which may help, but no promises. It certainly won't hurt to do that, and it may help.

+1
The pipe's days are numbered, but you can still enjoy it while it lasts. The crack is not going to impact the taste, just be careful and don't smoke it "hot" and that may extend the life.
You might have a couple of years left in it if it's in a rotation.

Thank you gents! I'll try and get my money's worth out of it, and Ill remember to post here on how long it lasts.

Top Bottom