What's new

Small brush dilemma

When I first started shaving, I got a brush similar to this one:

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/product.php?product=51064&group=7&trk=group

Well, similar in size, I guess. Mine actually says "genuine badger" on the back instead of pure badger, so I'm not sure it's the same brush. It was an eBay purchase for about $25 shipped. I've been using this brush since then and it works great! It feels somewhat stiff so it's very easy to lather up creams, but it's soft enough so I don't scratch up my face at all.

I just received this brush in the mail:

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/product.php?product=52003&group=7&trk=group

I used it for the first time last night and it's much softer than my other brush. It's very "floppy" I guess is the word I'm looking for. For some reason, I was expecting it to be about the same firmness as the other but with more hair to lather with. That's really not the case.

Is it usually this way with larger brushes? I'm assembling two kits...one for my dad and one for my brother for when I see them next week. My original intent was to start using this brush as my regular one, and give my older one to my dad. I was then going to buy a cheapy brush for my brother.

What do you guys think I should do? Keep both brushes and buy them both new brushes? Buy myself a new brush and be killed in my sleep by the wife? Give away the big floppy one and keep my original brush and buy a Tweezerman for my brother?

The real trick comes when you find out I have $16.50 in my PayPal account and I have to make the rest of this experience work on that amount :tongue:

I'm thinking I might give my dad this big floppy brush and buy my brother a cheap Tweezerman from eBay. Any other suggestions for a better brush (badger hair) that can be had for $16.50 shipped?

I can't think of a better brush for $16, unless you want to go with a boar brush. If that is the case, Omega makes some nice ones. Bigger brushes tend to be floppier. With that said, the denser the hairs (which usually means more money) the less floppy. Rooney brushes ($$) tend to be less floppy because (IMHO) they use about twice as many hairs as many others.

Ah, didn't realize that denser brushes are stiffer. That makes sense now. I have heard that AoS isn't known for having great quality brushes to begin with and this big one is shedding so I think I'll probably send that along :tongue:

Ah, didn't realize that denser brushes are stiffer. That makes sense now. I have heard that AoS isn't known for having great quality brushes to begin with and this big one is shedding so I think I'll probably send that along :tongue:

Or return it to AoS if they'll let you. $110!?!?

-Andy

Top Bottom