What's new

Slurry stone

Details and pictures welcome, but that sounds less like a slurry stone than a conditioning stone, to be applied when the stone glazes up.

The slurry stone is on the left. How do you use it?

Attachments

• 776CBF8E-794D-4895-968F-5EFF329C38C8.jpeg
    776CBF8E-794D-4895-968F-5EFF329C38C8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 17
First make sure you lap that stone flat.

Then put some water on the surface( lets say three to five pumps from a spray bottle).

Then rub the slurry stone on your freshly lapped surface of your bench stone until you get a 2% skim milk like consistancy.

Then start honing away.

The most important part is not to let the slurry get to thick as you are honing as it will start evaporating as you are honing.

If you are getting good undercut thin out the slurry by pushing some off the surface and applying morewater to get a 1% milk

consistancy and start going at it until you are getting undercuting almost all the way up the blade.

Then test if your stone does better with a trace of slurry or waster only. How many laps it takes depends on the stone you are

using and your ability which will improve as you get more experience.

Watch some youtube videos to get a idea of what you need to do and ask as many questions you can think of. Someone here

will help eventually.

Hope this help a little as it is a little generalized.

Good luck and more important don't give up. It is not Rocket science and you will get better, remember that.

I would not use the slurry stone.
Use the stone with water alone first.
Using slurry will never yield a sharper edge. It aids in skipping stones prior to using the stone alone.
Some stones will leave a softer edge using a light slurry to finish on but slates are not typically that way.
Use the stone alone first to see what it does before trying different things to make the stone work outside its basic ability.

I use only two stones.
A naniwa 12000.I take my coticule and use that as slurry stone on my Naniwa.
The mixed slurry this gives is perfect for my touch ups.
Been doing it like that for years.

You mean did I dig it out myself?
No. Just bought it in a shop.
Although I could have. I live about half an hour drive from The Ardennes.

You mean did I dig it out myself?
No. Just bought it in a shop.
Although I could have. I live about half an hour drive from The Ardennes.
That's awesome! I live in north texas at the end of the chain of mountains that produce arkansas stones. Ive got a surgical black river stone that i flattened and it's awesome and has teeth surprisingly considering fineness and hardness. The stones you dig/pick yourself will always be special. I go hone hunting with my 7 year old son and teach him about geology, hunting and nature. I feel like I've been buying real estate in the Ardennes mountains lately...

Top Bottom