What's new

Slurry (cleaning) stone for Shapton glass

I ordered a Shapton HR 1K, 2K and 6K. They don't offer a specific slurry stone. I actually just need a stone for cleaning when they get glazed. I have an atoma 400 and 1200. Will that do it, or do I need something else?

They will work fine. However, the Shaptons are kind of slick and dense, so there is an extra dose of the tendency of the diamond plate to suction-stick to the stone. It can be managed; it's just a bit annoying.

Which grit should be used; 400 or 1200? Is there a DMT stone that is specific to this application? I have a bunch of pocket DMTs of various grits.

I have also seen the Shapton lapping plate, which is very expensive. And they claim it can be used on all grits. I suspect I will need to flatten the stones from time to time, and that is why I am thinking the Atoma. Any help with the maintenance of these Shapton stones will be apprecuiated.

Last edited:
I don't know about the DMTs, but I suspect you're overthinking this. It's not a situation that requires a lot of precision. Personally, I suppose I'd use the 400 for the 1K, and the 1200 for the other two, but I don't think it matters much. OK, using a 140 on the 6K would probably be a bad idea.

The best thing you can do is flatten frequently, more than you think you need to. Flat stones are really important for razor honing, and stone flattening is really easy when you keep up with it, and a real pain when you let it go. Especially with the SG stones, which do not flatten quickly.

Update: Oh, and I would not bother with the Shapton lapping plate. If you're going to spend big bucks on a flattener, look at the Nanohone NL-8 or NL-10. I have an NL-10, which I use every time I hone, sometimes multiple times. I can't say enough good things about it. It is not for gross flattening of very out-of-true stones; it's a precision device meant to be used on basically-flat stones to make them as flat as possible. It is not supposed to be used on stones coarser than 400 grit, but it can actually be used on resin-bonded diamond stones.

I find my Shaptons glass especially 2k hr, is easy to clean, i use water snd my fingers,, stones are lapped atoma 400 prior to use, my 6k HC,, easier to clean ,,,

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The 400 will work on them, especially id]f it’s mellow. I like a mellow 600 or 1200 to finish the fine grit ones, but you could also just surface the fine ones with a nagura. King make an 8k grit nagura that works well for final finishing the surface. It soft and particles, so don’t use the slurry for honing razors.

I use a rust eraser if i am just cleaning of some load up, and an atoma 400 for flattening and surface conditioning.
I am not sure if you can get embedded grits from a coarse nagura stone, i have not tried it.
I dropped and broke my Naniwa SS 12k. Now is use it to clean my Venev Vetrified diamond stones. So i guess if you have a soft synth you could cut of a piece or just use one end of the stone to clean your GS stones.

I use a rust eraser if i am just cleaning of some load up, and an atoma 400 for flattening and surface conditioning.
I am not sure if you can get embedded grits from a coarse nagura stone, i have not tried it.
I dropped and broke my Naniwa SS 12k. Now is use it to clean my Venev Vetrified diamond stones. So i guess if you have a soft synth you could cut of a piece or just use one end of the stone to clean your GS stones.
Thanks!

I use the Atoma 1200 to clean up the stones after 1-2 razors-cleans the stone and keeps it flat

I use the Atoma to generate slurry for the JNATs-true tomo and keeps it flat

I have been using my two sided Atoma (400 and 1200). I like the idea that it cleans the stone and keeps it flat as well. I have also read recently that some Japanese masters have given up naguras in favor of the Atoma. From Japan-Tool.com:

"Iwasaki-san and Mizuochi-san themselves no longer use Naguras to start the slurry, but use Atoma #1200 instead. You have to remember "Hamono no Mikata" was published more than 50 years ago, many of the recommended technique are outdated. As matter of a fact Mizuochi-san doesn't even use his Nakayama to finish anymore, but Shapton GS #30000 and strongly recommending them even. But as you all hardcore razor fans know, when it comes to the razor finishing, natural stones are still surperior to the finest synthetic stones, making the edge not only super sharp (this, the Shapton does as well) but smooth/mild as well due to the rounder cutting particle shape.

So my current conclusion is no Naguras, but natural finisher + Atoma #1200.
For razor users, I recommend Shapton Glass Stone series #1000, #2000, #6000 used prior to the natural finisher."

For anyone with two diamond plates, I would start with the finer plate and then go to the coarser plate if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting great results using a credit card size DMT 1200 to make slurry on my JNATs, and the cards are cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom