What's new

Slowly making the change...

As I plod through my 60s, I am becoming more aware of how my body feels. The days of eat anything I want, do anything I want are fading into the distance. Weight loss is always on my radar but it seems no matter what I do, I gain one belt notch every year or so. Joints are stiff, my energy is fading and I seem to have lost my spark.
Diet gurus are as plentiful as stock market prophets and each one shouts the truth for everlasting health: high carb-low fat, low carb-high fat, keto, vegan-save the animals, wheat belly-no grains, intermittent fasting, juice diet, and the list goes on. It is a rat's nest of contradictions to unravel.
I just want to feel good, have a bit more energy and maybe lose a few pounds, not sign up for a strict zealous-go insane-try-to-convert-everyone-around-me-to-make-me-feel-self-righteous kind of diet.
So I have done my homework and I am slowly removing junky sweet foods and alcohol from my diet, introducing beans and lentils and eating less meat and more vegetables. And lo and behold, I am feeling better, I have more energy and I have even lost a couple of pounds. Will wonders never cease?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
That happened to me, too. I made pretty much the same changes. It takes time, but as long as you're breathing you've got time. :) After all, it didn't get there overnight; it's not going to leave overnight. But it will get better and that's a great feeling.

As Michael Pollan says, "Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants."

This is a great time of year to make that change! Lots of lovely winter squash, other fall vegetables, and of course this year's harvest of beans and lentils. Grains, too.

Mom used to say, "All things in moderation. Eat a variety." She would have liked Michael Pollan.

O.H.

If you know you are snoring or your partner is noticing it get a check for sleep apnea. This goes most of the time unnoticed and drains your energy levels dramatically with all metabolic issues that go in hand with it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I feel better when I eat vegetables and proteins. Take your pick on the proteins. I skip the potatoes but not the sweet potatoes. I don’t eat wheat much anymore or any grain for that matter. And when I do I feel much better.I do have times when I like to eat pasta with shrimp or meatballs and that’s OK because I don’t do it every night.

This happened to me as well and my Doctor was concerned and wanted to put me on several meds for cholesterol, BP etc… I said NO there has to be a better option so worked out a plan with a nutritionist and 2 years later i am down 80 lbs and feel great, it’s a commitment no doubt but you will feel better day by day

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good on ya, Rusty. My Doc is harping on more fruits and veggies...he's pushing the DASH diet. I am eating better with more fish and poultry, but I'm not fanatical about it. Tonight is gonna be beans and weenies. :biggrin1:

This happened to me as well and my Doctor was concerned and wanted to put me on several meds for cholesterol, BP etc… I said NO there has to be a better option so worked out a plan with a nutritionist and 2 years later i am down 80 lbs and feel great, it’s a commitment no doubt but you will feel better day by day
Your story is very encouraging! Good on you for making the change and taking control of your health. Yes, every day I wake up feeling better and I notice my energy returning. And food seems to taste better. It does take a bit more planning, but it is worth the effort.

Watch what fat people eat and don't eat that. A walk and a nap are interchangeable. Don't walk for exercise, walk to reach a destination whether it be physical, mental or spiritual. Eat what you enjoy but learn to enjoy things that are good for you.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
As I plod through my 60s, I am becoming more aware of how my body feels. The days of eat anything I want, do anything I want are fading into the distance.
Even when younger, we are suffering the negative consequences of our bad eating choices, the vigor of youth can mask those for many decades.
Diet gurus are as plentiful as stock market prophets and each one shouts the truth for everlasting health:

not sign up for a strict zealous-go insane-try-to-convert-everyone-around-me-to-make-me-feel-self-righteous kind of diet.

Some people want to be the guru that everyone looks to as "the answer guy" and they get a thrill from that. Some other people figure out something that works well for them, and have a hard time keeping that good news to themselves when they ought to share with others who would benefit. (I'm a bit of the latter with keto and fasting.)

But on the other hand I "get it" how annoying that can be. I'll try not to lecture you about the one true church of eating what I say when I say.

1637373152882.jpeg

I hear ya friend. my wife was harping on me to get tested for sleep apnea. Then I had an accident and got a concussion. Doctor found I had scary high BP. suffered from depression caused by what’s called post concussive syndrome. I gave up tobacco, alcohol. Although I’m enjoying a scotch now and then.

I started going on daily hikes. Dr said break a sweat every day. As I got stronger, I would add a new trail on my routine. I do 4.7 miles a day now. The trail I started with is now my warm up. Slowly changed my diet. Now wife and I eat mostly plant based. To date I’ve lost 24 pounds. Reduced my BP meds by half. Sleep apnea disappeared as did acid reflux. I’m 54 by the way.

There is a lot of recipes out there for plant based food. I’m not vegan but do make some vegan recipes because why not. I eat. Seafood and have an occasional burger or chicken. I will say sweet potatoes and black beans go really well together. google black bean ,corn sweet potato enchiladas.

Good luck on your journey getting in shape.

Weight loss becomes harder due to sarcopenia as one ages- the loss of lean muscle mass. This is driven by many things, including inactivity, but might also be due to a high renal acid load diet. The kidneys actually don't use bone calcium to buffer the pH of the blood (as was once thought, but has since been disproven), they draw on the muscle tissue. As one ages, the blood has a tendency to become more acidic as kidney function declines, meaning that the body must draw on more muscle tissue to buffer this acid load. Eating beans instead of meat is one way to reduce the acid load and still get adequate protein. Egg whites are also a lower acid load than whole eggs, and whey is better than caesin. You can use an app like Cronometer to calculate your overall renal acid load.

Last edited:
Top Bottom