What's new

Slow cooker/Crock pot questions

A friend of mine just gave me a very old, but still functional, slow cooker crock pot type dealey. It has just an on switch and seems to maintain a temp between 70C-75C or 158F-167F, so I shan't be cooking chicken in it, but I figure it'll be good for pork or beef. I've never cooked using one of these things before, does anyone have a good recipe or two?

Here's a good site to get you started.

http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/

In general, crockpots are great for soups, stews, cooking legumes. They also are good at making old-fashioned puddings, yogurt etc. etc. In the U.S. pulled pork has become very popular and the crockpot excels at cooking large cuts of less-than-tender meat.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Interesting as most crock pots that I saw had a off/low/high setting. You would normally use the low setting to cook over a long period of time where high will cut your time in half. So if you make a stew, it's around 8 hours on low and 4 on high. My experience as been that cooking on low will make your food taste better compared to high.

I know people who make porridge in their crock pot, leave it overnight and it's ready in the morning (not instant porridge, of course). A crock pot is the perfect item to make stews and soups as mentioned above. Put your veggies in, a piece of beef or pork with a bone, cover with water. Add salt and spices to taste and leave alone for a good while (minimum 8 hours). Don't forget to put the lid on otherwise it won't cook well.

Some also use it during events like thanksgiving to keep the food warm if you are having a buffet type meal.

It's a very useful tool.

As I understand it that modern use of the crockpot came when someone realized that a small company's electric bean cooker might have other uses. Originally crock pots came with only one temperature and a non-removable crock, but their popularity drove all sorts of innovations in size, shapes and controls.

Luc brings up a couple or excellent uses. I'll add that when making stews, for some reason it's important to put the vegetables - particularly hard vegetables such as carrots in the bottom of the pot.

As a dinner warmer, they work wonderful for keeping mashed potatoes warm.

Tons of stuff online, love Sunday mornings loading it up with something and eating 8-10 hours later, makes for an easy early diner.

We use ours for homemade spagetti sauce, BBQ Ribs, Roasts etc.

-Stephen

A tip -- if you're trying to adapt a regular recipe (say, stew or braised meat) to a crockpot, cut down the added liquid significantly. Because there's almost no evaporation, all moisture in the ingredients stays in the pot. So if you normally would "add water to cover", try adding just a cup or two.
Obviously for soups, you want the full amount of liquid.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Crock pots are great for braising. Just set and forget. Bean recipes are good. Pot roast is a good when combined with the crock pot. Before church on Sundays Mom would load up the crock pot with roast beef, carrots and potatoes. Nothing better after listening to some hard preaching and coming home to the smell of a roast simmering. Carnitas (pulled pork) work well. This weekend I will make a slow roasted "South of Texas" chili using shoulder chuck meat and the crock pot.

http://www.djfoodie.com/Slow-Cooker-Chili

Enjoy that new pot.

Dave, snap us a picture of your pot.

Last edited:
I one thing I've learned to adapt with my crockpot recipes is to avoid adding wine as part of the liquid as I would normally do when simmering on the stovetop or braising in the oven. I think possibly the crockpot doesn't get hot enough to completely cook off the alcohol or the fact that it's covered doesn't allow all the alcohol to escape. Not sure the science behind it and maybe it's just in my head, but every time I've tried it, I've felt that it was overpowering. YMMV.

That temp seems a little low. I was under the impression that most crock pots got above 200F. High, medium and low just adjust how fast it gets to the max temp.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree that the temperature sounds a little low. The crock pots that off used get to a low simmer on low and a high simmer or low boil on high. I don't think I've used one with a medium setting.

The only time I use any setting other than low is to get the temp up more quickly, i.e., turn it on high for a little bit and then down to low.

Crock pots are very nice for making small quantities of stock, as well.

Keep a box of liners on hand and use one every time you make something in the Crock-pot. They will add $1 or so to every meal you cook, but it will save you a lot of time and aggravation when it comes to clean-up. http://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Meta..._sbs_79_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QWZ15Y4T7RYM8BJR5SH You can find them in most supermarkets or order them in bulk from online.

Be aware that "Crockpot" is a registered trademark and is only used on products from Jarden Corp. http://www.crock-pot.com/home They are the original inventors of the device and everybody else copied them. Crockpot still leads the pack in terms of quality, durability and innovative design. All other manufacturers have to use the generic phrase "slow cooker."

I have a 5.5 quart model with digital programmable controls. I use it mostly to make chili about once a month in the winter, but every time I do, I tell myself I should be getting more use out of it. They are very handy kitchen accessories and there's a lot you can do with them.

I had a problem with mine about 6 months after I bought it. I had only used it twice in that time, but when I went to use it again, the inner bowl had cracked. I called up the 1-800 number to see about buying a replacement bowl. The lady on the phone was really nice. I didn't have my receipt but I could estimate my date of purchase. She told me where to look on the product to find the date of manufacture, and she determined it was still under warranty. She sent me a new bowl, free of charge. It came in a large cardboard box about a week later, uber-protected by several layers of styrofoam packing. And the postage on that box cost more than I paid for the Crockpot in the first place! That's what I call GOOD SERVICE.

If you find yourself using it more than a few times, donate this one to Goodwill, and go get yourself one with programmable controls. An oval model is more useful than a round one, since you can put in larger cuts of meat without cutting it up first. You can probably find them starting around $40 and with careful shopping for sales you might get it for $30. Having just an On/Off switch means you have to babysit it all the time, and do a lot of guessing as to when its fully warmed up and when your food is completed cooking. With a programmable pot, you can set it and walk away. It will bring itself up to full temp, cook for the required amount of time, then step down to "Warm" mode. Its really great to throw your food in there in the morning, leave the house, and have a fully cooked meal ready and waiting when you get home from work.

Yeah I figured the temp in this seemed really low :/ At very least it'll make a damned good warming vessel! I'm tempted to shell out for a better model, but I need to find some room in the cupboards first :laugh:

We love cooking in ours and as someone else said if your having a large family dinner the standard crockpots are great for keeping mashed potatoes and beans nice and hot.

Top Bottom