What's new

Slippery Strop?

Try tallow based soap, like Arko. Whip up a thick creamy lather and apply it on your strop.

Do not rinse.

Leave it overnight. In the morning just rub off the dried up lather with the palm of your hand and strop away. Let us know how this works for you.

Thanks Dachsmith, recently i bought one ruitertassen strop from fendrihan, and coincidentally bought together a soap arko to test, I believe that in one or two weeks have finished the import process and should arrive here. I'm thinking of testing the ruitertarssem as a comparison, if I think that it actually has a better draw I'll try to use its method in the English bridle strop. If i thinck the ruitertassen have the same draw as the english bridle, I'll recognize that I'm the problem. what do you think?

Saddle soap is actually not good for leather at all, it is a very drying product. Yes it is used to clean very hard, highly polished saddles, but it’s not good for strops. IMO Lexol leather conditioner is the best product to restore old and very hard leather which has dried out. Neetsfoot oil could work if applied to the back of the strop, however if you use too much you can completely ruin an good strop.

Leather Conditioner 8 oz | Lexol

I'm not familiar with ruitertassen strops. But if like you said it has the same draw as English bridle, then you can expect your new strop to have minimal draw (just like English bridle) so you can't really use that to gauge your stropping skills.

Continuing the story, yesterday came the Ruitertassen strop, and my first tests tell me that the tie is very similar to that of the English Bridle, I'm tempted to say it's a little bit better but I think it's because it's 0.5 inches wider . Today I think the question of slippery shape has a lot more to do with my impressions. I see that a wider strop as it has a larger contact surface naturally possesses a better draw.
I noticed that the flexibility of the Ruitertassen is considerably better, but I have to say that the thickness of the leather is thinner.(aprox 3 to 4 mm)
With respect to the surface of the leather the Ruitertassen is also a little softer.
Regarding the performance on the blade I think it is still too early to make comparisons I need more time to say something.
(to be continued...)

Dachsmith, I'm think try to make the tallow test in the english bridle as experience. How often do I need to do this?

Old time barbers used to slather their strops with thick (more on the dry side) lather every night before closing shop. Personally I do it only about once a month or when my strop begins to feel slick.

Most of the time rubbing the strop with the palm of my hand before using is enough to increase the draw to my liking.

Giving one feedback here. After few month of tests my impressions is Ruitertassen strop is better than English Bridle i have. My impression is the ruiter leather work better.
Trying the Dachsmith method, i feel a mutch better sense in draw but don´t change the strop capacities.
Greetings to all.

Top Bottom