What's new

Slippery Strop?

Hi guys, this is my first question in this forum, maybe anybody can help me,
i have one 2" red latigo strop (cheap one) but with good construction, but i feel have problems with very slippery many times, in few times i can fell the draw in straight razor (i don`t know if is about air humidity).
How can i resolve this problem make my strop have better draw?
Once every six months i put some dovo cream for leather (but does not affect the problem).
What the experts suggest me? Clean it with saddle soap as described in other thread (maybe is dificult find this product in my region) ? I can clean with shave soap? Other method?

Other question, can I keep the strop in the bathroom or the humidity is harmful to it?
Thanks everybody.

sorry my bad english :001_huh:

Latigo is not typically slippery in any way. As a matter of fact it usually has a lot of draw (opposite of slippery)
Do not keep a strop in the bathroom if you don't have to. Humidity is not good for it.
If you rub the strop with your palm each time before use you should not have to use any paste for a very, very long time if ever.

Thanks for the answer "sns", just one correction, checking here is not red latigo is english bridle (excuse this mistake).
I rub the strop with my palm each time before use.
And yes is slippery ( i don`t know why, but i don`t have mutch experience with strops).

Hi guys, this is my first question in this forum, maybe anybody can help me,
i have one 2" red latigo strop (cheap one) but with good construction, but i feel have problems with very slippery many times, in few times i can fell the draw in straight razor (i don`t know if is about air humidity).
How can i resolve this problem make my strop have better draw?
Once every six months i put some dovo cream for leather (but does not affect the problem).
What the experts suggest me? Clean it with saddle soap as described in other thread (maybe is dificult find this product in my region) ? I can clean with shave soap? Other method?

Other question, can I keep the strop in the bathroom or the humidity is harmful to it?
Thanks everybody.

sorry my bad english :001_huh:

I'm not sure what region your in, but in the states, saddle soap is normally found with shoe polishes in a lot of stores (even groceries). You might try a place that sells leather shoes or boots if other stores don't have it. I don't know whether you should use it, I'm very new, just where you might be able to find it.

Your English isn't too bad.

Do you just not like the feel of the slick strop?
It does not make it less effective being "slick" or "fast", my best strops are very slick.

Has your strop always been slick from the day you got it? Sometimes new strops have residual waxes left over from the tanning process. Try to buff your strop vigorously using a clean cloth and see if that helps. If that does not work, clean it with saddle soap. However, be careful to use as little water as possible with the soap.

Thanks guys,

Clay´s i´m from Brazil, here have products for clean saddle but i don´t know if will good for clean strops.
"Your English isn't too bad" Especial thanks to google translator :001_smile

"SNS"
Do you just not like the feel of the slick strop?
First I don`t like, it don`t make any song, and second when times (i don't know why) it work with a few draw (maybe by the diference air humidity) the sense of the razor in my beard work better.

"Ray Clem"

Has your strop always been slick from the day you got it?
Yes.

Try to buff your strop vigorously using a clean cloth and see if that helps....
I will try this. and the next other test is try clean with any saddle soap or my Col. Conk bay run soap (but is the last option)

I bought from a Canadian store about three years ago, (excellent store, very attentive)

I'll try to put a picture of it here.

strop.jpg

That strop looks like it has a very hard surface to it.
Also it needs to have a leather edger run down the sides or be sanded to remove the "frillies" along the edge

"SNS"
I don`t have mutch experience with strops but i have this same impression.
It have a leather edger on the sides, the picture not help mutch to show this, the blade not touch the "flillies".

One more time thank you for the answer.

Thanks Clay S, yesterday i tryed buff with a clean towel but don´t make mutch results.
I will waiting if anybody with more experience than me give me other solutions.
Although it has been cheap is a nice piece of leather, and I'm afraid to end up spoiling.
I will try to find a industrial saddle soap (i think my abilities to make homemade soap is not the best).

It might just be the leather is not suitable for a decent strop.
Does it in fact have a hard surface to it?
It should feel like a fine smooth leather like a top quality handbag made of extra heavy but supple leather.
The processing of all leathers is not equal or ideal for razor strops.

"SNS"
Yes it have a hard surface much more than other materials with leather i have.
Have a fine grain but i cant say if is smooth, and not much supple leather.

I know you concern seems to be the face of the strop. However, you might try adding a little Neatsfoot Oil to the back side to make the leather more supple. This oil is made from the feet and shin bones of cattle. Try to get a pure oil rather than one that has been diluted with mineral oil. This is also good for restoring old leather that has dried out.

Thanks Ray, as i said above, yesterday i tryed buff with a clean towel but don´t make mutch results.
i have neatsfoot oil here and i will try make this.

Top Bottom