What's new

Slippery razor?

I have a straight that the jimps are highly polished and when my hands are really dry I have trouble with the blade slipping or I don’t feel like I have a solid grip shaving, so tonight it hit me that wax is great for a good grip on surfboards and other things so I put a light coat of Renaissance Wax on the shank and upper and lower jimps on my razor and it literally felt like my fingers were glued to the razor the entire shave. When done I just wiped the wax off while drying the razor before I put it up. It took no time at all and left no residue on my fingers.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a straight that the jimps are highly polished and when my hands are really dry I have trouble with the blade slipping or I don’t feel like I have a solid grip shaving, so tonight it hit me that wax is great for a good grip on surfboards and other things so I put a light coat of Renaissance Wax on the shank and upper and lower jimps on my razor and it literally felt like my fingers were glued to the razor the entire shave. When done I just wiped the wax off while drying the razor before I put it up. It took no time at all and left no residue on my fingers.
Good tip. Lol, I'd probably need a rosin bag myself!

Change your grip!
When holding by jimps you grip is unstable . When razor is slippery it can easily turn around its axis .
Hold the sides and rest the scales on fingers. No matter if razor is soapy the grip is stable!

When I got my Parker shavette I cold not figure out how to hold it. I tried to hold it like my other shavettes - holding fingers up and down. This thing is very thin and grip is very unstable holding that way. But it is designed to hold it by sides!

Your name is @Sisyphos and your telling me to change? 🤣
I never let my fingers or jimps get wet and I have been shaving with straights for a long time. If you read my post you’ll notice I said when my hands are really dry although the wax is just as helpful wet but thank you for your input.

Try it Sis. On another note if you get tang/shank wet it creeps into the pivot and then rust starts. Another reason why wax is your friend.
Thanks for posting.

You could also try wiping your fingertips on a damp alum block and then drying your fingers/hands on a towel. My guess is that the residual amount of alum would provide a decent grip without any risk of bad stuff getting into the pivot hole.

You could also try wiping your fingertips on a damp alum block and then drying your fingers/hands on a towel. My guess is that the residual amount of alum would provide a decent grip without any risk of bad stuff getting into the pivot hole.
Yes that would work also but I don’t care much for alum. If you don’t have ren wax maybe you have another paste wax? If so try the wax.
Ren wax is great for razors both scales and blades.

Yes that would work also but I don’t care much for alum. If you don’t have ren wax maybe you have another paste wax? If so try the wax.
Ren wax is great for razors both scales and blades.
Probably no harm in just leaving the Ren wax on the shank, either.

I don't use alum and I don't have any Ren wax at the moment. I wonder if a smear of beeswax would work?

Probably no harm in just leaving the Ren wax on the shank, either.

I don't use alum and I don't have any Ren wax at the moment. I wonder if a smear of beeswax would work?
Yeah that would work. It doesn’t take much and if its hard turpentine softens it. You just need apply the thinnest coat and leave it on while you shave then just wipe the blade clean as you normally do after use.

Yeah that would work. It doesn’t take much and if its hard turpentine softens it. You just need apply the thinnest coat and leave it on while you shave then just wipe the blade clean as you normally do after use.
My Koraat is the only razor I have where the polish really affects the grip, but I notice it more honing and stropping than I do during the shave. Next time I hone it I'm gonna try a little wax on the shank. Great tip.

The Ren Wax is a good protectant to keep moisture away from your gold wash on the blade where you can’t use an abrasive polish like Autosol or Maas.

My Koraat is the only razor I have where the polish really affects the grip, but I notice it more honing and stropping than I do during the shave. Next time I hone it I'm gonna try a little wax on the shank. Great tip.
The jimps on my Koraat are the reason I started using the wax. Love the blade but it slips in my fingers especially when they are dry.
I have a custom Koraat and another 14 2.0 on order also.

image.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I just keep my hands dry with a wash cloth as best as I can. When I change hands I move the sponge I wipe
My blade on the the opposite side of the sink. I do have better control with small blades though m

Top Bottom