What's new

Sling bags for men - yes or no

Hmm this is what I thought we were talking about. Nothing feminine about this one.
barbour_leather_tarras_bag_-_dark_brown_uba0007br71_1.jpg
I

I can't imagine carrying an over the shoulder, tear shaped bag into any office, court, or other meeting place to which I would carry my brief case. It is unprofessional. That said, I wouldn't carry one anyway. Just not my style.

I can't imagine carrying an over the shoulder, tear shaped bag into any office, court, or other meeting place to which I would carry my brief case. It is unprofessional. That said, I wouldn't carry one anyway. Just not my style.
Agreed. If you're an office jockey, though, carry a Herschel backpack. If it's just gym clothes, you can always carry a small gym bag. If it's just a laptop, carry a small a small laptop bag. If all else fails, carry loose plastic bags (only sort of kidding).

Bottom line: no tear shaped bags.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've had one and I'm not a huge fan of them because of weight distribution and how they feel carrying. at least with a messenger bag/briefcase/whatever with a shoulder strap, they can be switched between both shoulders throughout the carrying of them. if I'm going that casual, I'd rather run a backpack/small day pack. even one shouldering a backpack is more comfortable than one of these rigs for me.

If you wear a suit to work, a bag is probably not kosher. If your wear is more casual there is nothing wrong with a sling bag, backpack, messenger bag or whatever. The convenience of having everything in one bag, especially if you work out of multiple locations, is priceless. It has been years since I had a designated desk, instead I worked out of a different location every day.

This is my everyday carry from Saddleback Leather.

It's nice because it can convert into a bookbag when needed and has a nice top handle if you want to use it like a briefcase.

88f7ae.jpg

I guess that depends on where? Again, I can't imagine such a getup within the context in which I would be carrying a briefcase. But perhaps we have different definitions for, "briefcase"?

Perhaps. The office is business casual...at a university. Soft sided briefcase is what I was referring to. I haven't carried a hard sided briefcase since the 1980's. Can't say I miss it either.

I've had one and I'm not a huge fan of them because of weight distribution and how they feel carrying. at least with a messenger bag/briefcase/whatever with a shoulder strap, they can be switched between both shoulders throughout the carrying of them. if I'm going that casual, I'd rather run a backpack/small day pack. even one shouldering a backpack is more comfortable than one of these rigs for me.

Thanks for the input this helps. The backpack I have now works ok except the shoulder strap tends to slide off. I'm not carrying that much, lunch, umbrella, and very few papers really.

Nice looking bag. I have my eye on a Filson field bag. Haven't committed to spending the money yet.

I've got the small field bag. 8 years now, finally getting broke in. Used almost daily. Medium size may be better as a briefcase substitute.

Worn crossway, can sit low on your back. Very convenient.

I prefer a messenger bag for casual/everyday. Since it often rains here I have gone to canvas, especially TomBihn (tombihn.com) which are actually made here in Seattle and are extremely durable. With a suit I prefer a leather briefcase.

I prefer a messenger bag for casual/everyday. Since it often rains here I have gone to canvas, especially TomBihn (tombihn.com) which are actually made here in Seattle and are extremely durable. With a suit I prefer a leather briefcase.

Doesn't rain here as much but I've been drenched once already. Which Tom Bihn bag do you use?

Top Bottom