What's new

Slim with weak click - suggestions

I've had a nearly mint H3 slim adjustable for a while now and it's lovely to shave with. I've enjoyed that slim so much that I picked up a J1 slim that needs a little attention. The J1 is almost as nice looking as the H3. The plating is intact but I believe the click spring is broken as the click is weak/soft and the spring can slide about 3mm back and forth in the slot. I've done a lot of soaking and cleanup and other than the click, everything works well and the blade gap is correct and even for all the settings. The click spring works well enough to keep the adjuster from overclocking past 1 and 9 so it stays in the correct range - it just doesn't click very positively on the numbers. Once you clamp down the blade the adjuster isn't going to move so it is totally functional as is.

The question is whether it is worth it to replace the spring? I'm handy with tools and have read and watched enough "how to" that I would enjoy taking it apart and I could even fabricate a new spring if I needed to (or Razor Emporium sells replica springs for $15 which seems exorbitant but I guess they are the only game in town for that part?). But whether I buy a replica spring or make my own, the real concern I have is that taking the razor apart seems a shame when the plating is in good condition and the crimps are all working smoothly. And I may say "hey it works just fine even though it doesn't click very solidly" but I know when I'm having a shave I'm going to grab the slim that clicks right instead of this one (I'm kind of answering my own question, eh?). So I would probably move this second slim on. And if selling it, would it affect the resale value (these don't bring a lot of money anyway do they?) The "mister curious" part of my nature wants to take it apart and replace the spring just because that would be fun for me - I just don't want to loosen/compromise the crimps.

What do you guys say?

I've had a nearly mint H3 slim adjustable for a while now and it's lovely to shave with. I've enjoyed that slim so much that I picked up a J1 slim that needs a little attention. The J1 is almost as nice looking as the H3. The plating is intact but I believe the click spring is broken as the click is weak/soft and the spring can slide about 3mm back and forth in the slot. I've done a lot of soaking and cleanup and other than the click, everything works well and the blade gap is correct and even for all the settings. The click spring works well enough to keep the adjuster from overclocking past 1 and 9 so it stays in the correct range - it just doesn't click very positively on the numbers. Once you clamp down the blade the adjuster isn't going to move so it is totally functional as is.

The question is whether it is worth it to replace the spring? I'm handy with tools and have read and watched enough "how to" that I would enjoy taking it apart and I could even fabricate a new spring if I needed to (or Razor Emporium sells replica springs for $15 which seems exorbitant but I guess they are the only game in town for that part?). But whether I buy a replica spring or make my own, the real concern I have is that taking the razor apart seems a shame when the plating is in good condition and the crimps are all working smoothly. And I may say "hey it works just fine even though it doesn't click very solidly" but I know when I'm having a shave I'm going to grab the slim that clicks right instead of this one (I'm kind of answering my own question, eh?). So I would probably move this second slim on. And if selling it, would it affect the resale value (these don't bring a lot of money anyway do they?) The "mister curious" part of my nature wants to take it apart and replace the spring just because that would be fun for me - I just don't want to loosen/compromise the crimps.

What do you guys say?
I just checked, since you got me curious, 4 Slims (one mint), 2 Super Adjustables, and 2 Fat Boys, and the click performance and sound was about the same regardless of age. There was a side to side wobble in the spring on all of the razors which could result in slight differences in blade gap when the TTO was locked the last quarter turn. If it were me, unless there was no click feel at all into the different levels, I would just leave it alone and use as is. The clicks on all of my adjustables, regardless of condition, seem to sound about the same and have the same side to side movement per selection.

I just checked, since you got me curious, 4 Slims (one mint), 2 Super Adjustables, and 2 Fat Boys, and the click performance and sound was about the same regardless of age. There was a side to side wobble in the spring on all of the razors which could result in slight differences in blade gap when the TTO was locked the last quarter turn. If it were me, unless there was no click feel at all into the different levels, I would just leave it alone and use as is. The clicks on all of my adjustables, regardless of condition, seem to sound about the same and have the same side to side movement per selection.
The click spring on this one doesn't really click but it does engage just enough to prevent going past the stops at 1 and 9 - at least now it is. The adjuster was clocked past the stops and totally out of whack when I received it but I got the adjust ring in the right range and got the spring working well enough that it prevents going past the stops now.

The click is so soft there is no audible click at all - just the slightest perceived feeling thru fingertips. I can easily set the adjustment between 4 and 5 and then tighten the TTO and the adjustment will stay wherever it was when TTO was clamped down. So I guess that could be seen as an advantage - ability to micro adjust🤣 The regular number stops are fine enough adjustment for me and the razor gives a great shave. So I guess I'll leave it alone and just enjoy shaving with it.

I picked up a cheap 109 Super Adjustable that the adjuster doesn't turn at all - I expect it'll be an easy fix but if not, I'll harvest the click spring and silo doors etc. as spare parts (plating looks really good).

Top Bottom