What's new

Slim v fatboy

I've been out of the loop for a while. But just picked up a cheap Slim Adj'. I used ebay as a reference for dating, and was very surprised to see Slims fetching a lot more than Fatboys! I'm sure it used to be the other way round. What happened?

When I was searching for my birth year razor, shaving trends smiled on me and the Slim was less in demand. Slim prices were lower, and Fatboys were way overpriced. I therefore conclude that Slims are superior to Fatboys, representing the height of Gillette engineering, and that is why they are now more in demand. I mean, if the Slim was good enough for James Bond, . . . :)

As much as I like the styling of the Fatboy, and the cool nickname, rarity, heft, etc, the Slim is the better shaver for me. The lower profile head just gets around my face better and it seems I can get a better angle. Mint condition with case, Slims seem to go for really high prices. Users or potentially cleanupable Slims are still a great deal. I'm kindof on the look out for a back up or two.

Y'all really should stop using the word rarity when discussing the Fatboy . They were manufactureed in the millions and anybody who wants one could get one for $50-$60 any day of the week (average eBay sales looking at the last 500 or so). Being produced for a shorter time than Slims does not make them rare.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh, and Slims are not more expensive than Fatboys based on the last several hundred ebay sales. This is not something one has to guess at, there's plenty of data.

Oh, and Slims are not more expensive than Fatboys based on the last several hundred ebay sales. This is not something one has to guess at, there's plenty of data.

Well. I'm looking at a slim currently going for £70+ with no case, and there are lots of listings for cheaper fatboys in similar condition. Obviously not typical, but it goes to show, timing can make all the difference when looking for a good deal.

The Fatboy is arguably Gillette's most iconic DE razor. I consider the Fatboy more like a collector's razor just to have it in your collection more than anything just like most of Gillette's rarest DE razors. I haven't shaved with every rare and super rare Gillette razor in existance and I wouldn't call the Fatboy rare at all, but while the ones i've used are good, they are not 100 times better than the mass produced models and I was just lucky finding them below their market value, otherwise I wouldn't pay the full price.

The Slim is a fantastic razor, although I personally prefer the Super Adjustable 109 a.k.a. the Black Beuty with long handle. I find it 1 or 2 settings more efficient compared to the Slim and the long and light handle helps a bit.

In short - if you want to own an iconic razor and you like collecting DE razor, the Fatboy would be a better option, but if you want a razor for practical every day use without paying as twice as much, then the Slim is the razor for you.

I was trying to sell a couple slims on BST here for $25 and no takers. I fetched $48 on ebay for one of them, $38 for the other.
Both were same date code and condition. Both listings same time (within 10 minutes). Why one went higher who knows. You'd think the guy who lost the first one at $47 would've jumped on the other at $38. Ebay shmeebay.

I was trying to sell a couple slims on BST here for $25 and no takers. I fetched $48 on ebay for one of them, $38 for the other.
Both were same date code and condition. Both listings same time (within 10 minutes). Why one went higher who knows. You'd think the guy who lost the first one at $47 would've jumped on the other at $38. Ebay shmeebay.
I wd always post similar items with a gd hour at least between them to avoid 'flooding the market'. Though ur experience blows my theory out of the water!

I just came back from a flea market and a guy had a couple slims and a bunch of gem and injector razors.
$40 for Gillette, $15 for gem, $10 injectors.
I bought an ever-ready 150 Pbrush in the box for $5 from him and he threw in a pack of Don Juan blades. I'm happy.
I offered $20 on a slim and he said 40 was a deal, "they're 100 150 on ebay". Lol.
16229071152186080722345882578304.jpg

The Fatboy is becoming my daily razor - it shaves so well with the right blade. However I have not tried or own a slim yet [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are those who say the Slim is a better shaver that the Fat Boy, which it replaced. There also are those who say the Super Adjustable is a better shaver than the Slim, which it replaced. And of course there are those who insist the Fat Boy has never been surpassed.

I don't ague against any of these opinions. All three razors are outstanding. Personally my fav probably is the SH Super Adjustable, but not by much. All three razors are closely related, as to engineering and performance. It's virtually a three-way tie.

This is an age-old argument that really just comes down to preference, and if this were another forum, the two runner ups (F-150 and Silverado owners) would be jockeying for relevance, while owners of the class-leading RAM 1500 would be placing bets as to which of the other two would get over taken by something by Suzuki (or Tesla) for third place... GO TEAM FAT BOY/RAM!!! :001_tt2:

Top Bottom