What's new

Slim Progress

This is not about a Slim and Merkur merger, rather my progress with my Slim. My progress may be slim, too, though!

Since my return to wetshaving about a month or so ago (6wks?), I have used my $5 1965 Slim exclusively.

At first, my technique was bad. I was out of the habit. And just as when I was a daily wetshaver in years past, the pressure to brag, if only to myself, about aggression tolerance in razors made me start with my Slim on 4.

I am a softy. Even the setting of 3 were too much. After a bloody (plenty of weepers), painful week, I backed things down to setting 2, and swallowed some pride. However, with my improved lathering skills came dramatically more comfy shaves. And improved technique.

Today I turned it up to 3 and kept the technique the same. So far, my best shave yet this go-round! Simply amazing. Closer, and like I remember things before.

I don't care if I ever go above 3, to me the value of my $5 Slim is that it allowed me to turn things down to improve skills, and then marry those skills with an efficiency I could put to good use.

I know my gear is not trendy. It is not the latest. It is not being collected to add to my personal museum. It is a tool. I have spent the required time with my tool to get great results consistently, which has made me love my tool for its abilities in my hands.

I think in our cultural pursuit of better, or best, or even more, we forget how to be satisfied with enough. I will confess myself to be good at that, anyway. To my personal dismay at myself, my greed can wear many justifiable outfits. And I am pleasantly surprised to learn that with age there can at times come a deeper appreciation for the bigger picture that leads to peace with where I am at. I love that feeling, and I am thankful for my "Slim progress."

Today I turned it up to 3 and kept the technique the same. So far, my best shave yet this go-round! Simply amazing. Closer, and like I remember things before.

I don't care if I ever go above 3, to me the value of my $5 Slim is that it allowed me to turn things down to improve skills, and then marry those skills with an efficiency I could put to good use.
I think you have proved the old adage, a bad workman blames his tools. You are getting good results by improved technique. Blades seem to be a big variable in razor performance too.
I do like the Gillette Slim Adustable and the Merkur Progress.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My Slim sat unappreciated for years until I decided to set it on #1 and shave with it until I got a close shave, then clicked it up to #2 and did the same until I got to #5 where it started to feel uncomfortable. I backed it down to #4 where it stays, and I'm very happy with it now.

~doug~

So, the past two days I had a dalliance with a $3 Tech that followed me hone from the same store where I found my $5 Slim.

Today I came back to the Slim. I must say, with the added weight, and the slim on 3 where I left it, I like the Slim better.

In fairness, I only used the Tech twice and I have been exclusively learning my Slim for over a month. I may be jaded.

I had a bit of trouble on the same place on my neck as I was having with the tech, but lacking in weight, the Tech seemed to struggle in that spot more than the Slim, so it was already a bit irritated today.

I like the Tech, but I missed my Slim.

Attachments

• 20230330_060711.jpg
    20230330_060711.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230316_060524.jpg
    20230316_060524.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom