What's new

Slightly warped SR

Gday people,

New to the forum. Have just bought my first razor and it appears to have a very slight warp/bow to the blade. It’s noticeable when looks at the primary bevel as it’s uneven, and when looking down the edge it is ever so slight. The razor is a ralf aust 6/8. Just wondering if anybody has experienced this and might have a remedy to get it straightened?

Thanks

Pic

Attachments

• 1050261D-0B08-4BE7-962F-FB2B2CD23DBA.jpeg
    1050261D-0B08-4BE7-962F-FB2B2CD23DBA.jpeg
    668.2 KB · Views: 55

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If the warp worries you, contact the vendor and see what he/she can do. There is probably nothing much that you can do.

Last edited:
Oh the vendor did right by me. They gave me a store credit and apologised. They let me keep the razor and advised that I should take it to a honemeister to fix it. As it’s a relatively small warp, I thought there may be an easy do it yourself remedy

Oh the vendor did right by me. They gave me a store credit and apologised. They let me keep the razor and advised that I should take it to a honemeister to fix it. As it’s a relatively small warp, I thought there may be an easy do it yourself remedy
Well, it's not something that would be fixed, per se-- just worked around. That warp isn't too bad ; a competent honer can hit the whole edge with a rolling stroke. But it's not something that you're going to eliminate.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Ok. Your next step is to shave with it. If it shaves to your satisfaction all is good. If not, it will be a matter of honing the SR on a flat whetstone(s) or films to your acceptable shave-ready standard.

From the photo, it appears that there is bevel along the full length of the edge. Do not try and "correct" the looks of the bevel. It's the edge that counts, not the aesthetics.

What does the other side look like? If it's a warp, it would have a wider bevel in the center, and a narrower one at the ends, the mirror image of the side you've shown.

In my early days, I once ruined a razor trying to correct a warp, finally accepting defeat when I had removed 1/3 of the height of the razor with little beneficial effect. That was a much worse warp than yours, though.

If you can't get a shave with it, even after some gentle honing on flat surfaces, my suggestion would be to move on to a different razor for now. Warps are tricky. The convex side can be honed using the rolling X stroke, but it's possible that the concave side needs a narrow hone, like a 1" wide coticule. Worst case, you can get some money for it from someone who is comfortable dealing with the warp, or send it to a honemeister.

Than
What does the other side look like? If it's a warp, it would have a wider bevel in the center, and a narrower one at the ends, the mirror image of the side you've shown.

In my early days, I once ruined a razor trying to correct a warp, finally accepting defeat when I had removed 1/3 of the height of the razor with little beneficial effect. That was a much worse warp than yours, though.

If you can't get a shave with it, even after some gentle honing on flat surfaces, my suggestion would be to move on to a different razor for now. Warps are tricky. The convex side can be honed using the rolling X stroke, but it's possible that the concave side needs a narrow hone, like a 1" wide coticule. Worst case, you can get some money for it from someone who is comfortable dealing with the warp, or send it to a honemeister.
Thankyou, I definitely won’t let myself get worked up and bothered and take it to an atoma 140 😂. But on a serious note, I am definitely not planning to grind it away. I was just trying to find out how bad the warp is, and if it’s fixable

Overall the razor isn’t that bad. It’s a very slight warp. It’s really hard to take pictures with my phone camera because I just can’t get the right angles, lighting and focus. Here are two photos I just took. It’s seated on my chosera 1k that I just flattened. I flip it over. On 1 pic you can see 1 end raised up off the stone a little, and on the only side, the centre is slightly coming off the stone. The centre one is really hard to see in photo but it’s definitely there. I’m sure with a bit of pressure and over time it’ll all alleviate and work.

As for the scratched up looking edge, as though I’ve rubbed it against a 1k stone for a while, I haven’t touched this razor to stones at all. Except for when I layed the razor on top just for a photo. I needed a flat surface and Color that you can easily see. The razor shaves in its current state but it’s a little painful. I’m waiting for a couple stones to arrive. I have a Japanese knife hobby so I have all the lower grit stones up to 4K, just need a couple higher ones. Got SG8k HC and naniwa SS 12k

Convexed stones work quite well if you don't want to hone it on flat stones. It takes most of the gymnastics and guess work out of the equation.

Rolling x strokes on a flat stone should also do the trick.

forgot to add pics. Here hey are

Attachments

• A6400DB1-A4A8-4B0F-8BB3-0A2CD02F83C5.jpeg
    A6400DB1-A4A8-4B0F-8BB3-0A2CD02F83C5.jpeg
    867.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 779DC74F-A039-4648-8398-843BC213F486.jpeg
    779DC74F-A039-4648-8398-843BC213F486.jpeg
    922 KB · Views: 49
Yep, what everybody else has said. I’ve got a razor with a similar warp that I put waaaay too much hone wear on before I knew what I was doing. I figured it would even out eventually; the high spots wearing away until it was flat. This did not happen.

The fine gentlemen here got me sorted out, but I should have followed their advice in the first place and learned how to hone on a razor without warp.

See if you can pick up a couple of cheap eBay beaters to practice honing before you do it on a nice razor.

Also looks like you are honing on the stabilizer which is keeping the blade from making full contact with the stone.

That amount of warp is not unusual and can easily be made to shave well.

I forgot the honing trick I learned here about dealing with the concave side of a warp: use the corner of a stone. Haven't had to put it into practice, as I've been lucky enough to only encounter the one warp.

Top Bottom