What's new

Slightly Different Take On Mapping Beard Grain

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I don't have a Futur, rather a 38C. Really like it. Big step up from the Van Der Hagen my son got me started with. Don't have a Fatip, either, but read a lot about them. I suppose somewhere down the road I'll try one out.

My mistake, thread confusion! haha.

I started with a different view. I read all I could as quickly as I could and thought how I'd apply all that information to my own shaves. I took a very methodical approach to every aspect; Razors, blades, brushes and soaps. I saved a lot of money that way lol, but also a lot of time. I still learned by trial and error but I was making as educated a guess as I possibly could while learning from the single change whether that be razor, blade, brush or soap. I only changed one thing at a time and used it until I found shortcomings.

Learning and understanding the differences between all associated pieces involved in your shave takes time and patience. I guess it took me about a year to really grasp what worked the best for me and why. Rigid razor designs with little gap and generous blade exposure are, by far, the razors that give me my closest, smoothest and most comfortable shaves.

Blade choice is aguably the most personal aspect of them all. Its not always all about sharpness, its also about how a DE blade cuts through your own hairs composition because of the coatings and even the order in which they're applied to the blade. I found my top 5 blades from a group of around 30 different types.

Brushes and soaps less so, but finding the right soaps that agree with your skin the most has made a very large difference in my shaves.

Everyones perfect shave is out there, we just need to find it. Once you have, it makes all the time spent learning and all the trial and error worth it.

On a side note about the Piccolo. It will be considerably smaller than your Futur. Its built more like a race car compared to a street car if you know what I mean. The (Fatip) Piccolo Lovers’ Club: PLC has some very dedicated followers and for very good reason.
Great tips in your writing above and well said. Thanks.

Top Bottom