What's new

Slight tugging

So with my one straight razor I have noticed a slight tugging have only used it a few times. Maybe not necessarily a tugging but not as smooth a glide as my shavette. Still shaves well. Just wondering if it is an issue with my stropping technique or possible angle issue. Still getting an enjoyable shave just not smooth like butter slice. If that makes any sense. Thanks in advance for the help.

Tell us more about the razor. Who honed it, what are you stropping on? Give it 100 light passes on your strop. Make stropping its' own event so you don't hurry it. Maybe the night before. Try again and see if that improves it. If you are coming off a Shavette you are used to a steeper angle which is hard on the edge. Work on a flatter shaving angle.

It is a Portland Razor Co. Say with the strop. They had it honed to 12k when they made it. I believe it was 12k. Didn't want to drop any names didn't want to seem like I was blaming the razor or anything like that. What sort of sound should the razor make on the leather. On the canvas side it makes that zipping noise I hear in videos. I am doing 20 on canvas then 60 or so on the smooth leather surface. The strop also has a green pasted canvas side and a rough leather side. Not using either of those currently. On the smooth leather side some times it makes this almost like paper being slide across paper real quick (not sure how to describe it) other times (well most of the time) it is a muffled dual sound. I am wondering if I am not just running the spine. Trying not to push the edge of the blade into the strop.

Movement on the strop should def not be pushing into it. It should be a light drag with a slightest slightest hint of torque.

Ive never used a de shavette, but maybe the angle that you were using was different and the prc isnt as forgiving of angles.

Maybe the passes on the clean strop will work, if not give the crox a try.

Movement on the strop should def not be pushing into it. It should be a light drag with a slightest slightest hint of torque.

Ive never used a de shavette, but maybe the angle that you were using was different and the prc isnt as forgiving of angles.

Maybe the passes on the clean strop will work, if not give the crox a try.
Think you narrowed it down. I think I am trying to be too careful and apply too much pressure as a control.

How many shaves do you have on the blade after receiving it from PRC. Did you shave with the razor the first time before you stropped. Did it tug on the first initial shave or has the tugging become noticeable after completing a few shaves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom