What's new

Sliding Down the Razor Blade of Life with Smattayu

Very nice, Eric! The RA's are excellent razors indeed!! If I get another straight, it's going to be the RA 7/8 with Spanish Tip.

Very nice, Eric! The RA's are excellent razors indeed!! If I get another straight, it's going to be the RA 7/8 with Spanish Tip.

Thanks Chris! I love the Spanish tip on the Aust, and I'm glad I got it. If I get another it'll probably be the 6/8 thumbnotch with horn scales.

No shave today, but tomorrow's is set up and ready to go. Thrilling news today from Mr Fine. Fine EDT's are officially out in American Blend and Platinum scents, and the price is very reasonable. I'm looking forward to trying the Platinum out.

No shave today, but tomorrow's is set up and ready to go. Thrilling news today from Mr Fine. Fine EDT's are officially out in American Blend and Platinum scents, and the price is very reasonable. I'm looking forward to trying the Platinum out.
+1

That's awesome news!! Might have to try out their American Blend, as the YSL EdP is just getting out of hand expensive.

Straight razor shave #417

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Black Walnut tuxedo
Razor: Feather SS
Blade: ProGuard
Cream: Proraso Cypress & Vetiver
Aftershave: Proraso Cypress & Vetiver
EDT: L'Occitane Vetyver

I had hardware and software picked out and SOTD pic taken for today's shave last night, but ended up changing the whole set up. I received a call from work at about 3AM with some troubling news, and wasn't able to get back to sleep. Had to go in early this morning to deal with a few things, and decided the calming effect of vetiver was better suited for the upcoming day. Broke out the Feather for it's speed and efficiency, since I can probably get a better shave in less time with this thing than any other razor I've ever used.

A quick face wash with the Proraso and a short hot towel application was all the preshave I allowed myself. The cream gave up a fantastic lather in no time, and two quick passes with the Feather left me with a very nice DFS+. A few drops of the AS and three Vassily's of L'Occitane's EDT, and I was ready to face the day.

After a long night and longer day, I'm sitting here trying to decide if a nap will be worth it. It's late enough that some coffee might get me through to bedtime, and I'll probably go that route. In wood-related news, I came across some nice pieces of oak and red oak in the woodpile at work yesterday and appropriated a few of them for The Dungeon. I'm going to see if I've got everything I need to turn bowls, and these will be nice test pieces. Thanks for reading and have a great evening!

Great shave! Inspires me to use the same setup for tonights shave and continue the test drive of the Kai. yup... That's just what I'll do.

Great shave! Inspires me to use the same setup for tonights shave and continue the test drive of the Kai. yup... That's just what I'll do.

Thanks Rich! I need to get some of those Kai's. It's true that the first couple of shaves with the ProGuards can be a little rough without a super delicate touch.

Great read and shave Eric!

Hope the work issue isn't too bad.

Question, would a 1½ x 1½ x 2½ block be adequate for a brush handle?

Great read and shave Eric!

Hope the work issue isn't too bad.

Question, would a 1½ x 1½ x 2½ block be adequate for a brush handle?

Thanks Craig! We all made it through the day lol. That would be large enough for a brush, though I might have to get a little creative with the hole drilling. I usually sacrifice about half an inch of each handle to the scroll chuck for that purpose. It depends on the size and shape preference as well.

Nice read Eric...glad the shave was able to give a little bit of sanity to your day.

Thanks Josh. It did help.

Nice shave. Sorry to hear about work. Hopefully it all got worked out. I can't wait to see what kind of bowls you are able to make.

Nice shave. Sorry to hear about work. Hopefully it all got worked out. I can't wait to see what kind of bowls you are able to make.

Thanks Don! We'll see about the bowls, but I'm hoping to get a couple roughed out in the next week or so.

Straight razor shave #418

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Barzini
Razor: Ragg Paragon
Soap: The Holy Black Sandalwood Smoke
Aftershave: The Holy Black Sandalwood Smoke
EDP: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber

This is the shave that was supposed to happen yesterday, and it was worth the wait. This soap/AS was a blind buy a while back, and I really enjoy the scent, which the name describes perfectly. I would buy a candle with this scent and burn it all winter long, it's that good. Grabbed the King of the Den for this shave. I don't use a traditional straight nearly as much as I used to, but it's almost always worth it when I do.

Bloomed the soap while doing the pre-shave, and put the Barzini to work. Side note: I am considering making a whole set of brushes in different woods for myself using only Tuxedo Fan knots. It is my favorite knot, and has been since it's first use. A fantastic lather was whipped up in no time, and steel was put to skin. The Paragon does need a touch up, but I can say that of most of my traditional straights right now. I was able to coax a blood and irritation-free BBS out of three passes and some clean up, but the process took quite a while. A splash of the AS had me in sandalwood nirvana, and four(no playing around this morning) Vassily's of GTB paired very nicely with the soap and AS.

proxy.php

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Great shave today Eric...I have yet to try any of THB's soaps, but will have to remedy that sometime soon.

Thanks Josh! This soap is a serious performer. Easy to lather, great slickness, and very good residual slickness. Hopefully I'll be able to get an order in when their Lavender Creeper makes a comeback.

Thanks Josh! This soap is a serious performer. Easy to lather, great slickness, and very good residual slickness. Hopefully I'll be able to get an order in when their Lavender Creeper makes a comeback.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for...lol. Lavender and menthol (but not menthol...) yes please....

Top Bottom