What's new

Slickest Shaving Soap (or Cream)?

Currently shaving with Williams. One of the slickest soaps I have used.
Seems I remember people used to scoff at Williams because it's a cheap grocery store soap & supposedly it doesn't lather easily, but these days I see a lot of people saying they like it. I just finished off a puck (that and MWF) and replaced it with Tabac. I had read a lot of people liked Tabac, so I wanted to finally try it. I didn't think Williams was bad, especially for $1.49.

Williams is very easy to lather, as easy as any other soap I tried. You need a mug (hence its name), hot water (tap hot) and let it soak while taking a shower. Same as the brush. Load 30sec to 1min depending on size and hair of the brush.
Like any other soap, really.

I've tried over 50 different shaving soaps, and I'd say aside from a few stinkers the majority can produce an incredibly slick lather, but I've had many lathers that weren't as slick as they could have been, but why was that?

I wasn't hydrating them as much as they needed to be.

I've found the lathers which look superb, thick and fluffy can sometimes stick to the blade, and clog during the shave, but the ones which were hydrated to the point where the lather will almost fall off my face would perform vastly better than the dryer ones.

But, my benchmark shaving soap for slickness is Arko.
This confirms what I’ve been thinking: lather is overrated.

Go Pokes.
I've tried Stirling, BM, A&E Butter, Mike's, Soap Commander, Tobac, MWF, TOBS. I have but haven't yet tried Arko.
So far the best slickness is A&E and Mike's, then Soap Commander. I have to try Stirling again...just ordered their unscented Sheep and pre-shave soap.

Last edited:
I thought I'd found the slickest last month (post #113). I was wrong.

It's now La Toja Classic Shaving Cream:
SOTD-Y-K_2021-05-14.jpg

Mind blowing slickness! :w00t:

Check out the reviews at Maggard's HERE.

Williams is very easy to lather, as easy as any other soap I tried. You need a mug (hence its name), hot water (tap hot) and let it soak while taking a shower. Same as the brush. Load 30sec to 1min depending on size and hair of the brush.
Like any other soap, really.
This
I finally tried my puck of Williams last week and have been using it daily since. After all the bad mouthing I expected at least some difficulty lathering...I had none. Mountains of effortless lather on the first try. Lathers just as easily as any of my artisans and blows every single one of them out of the water in sheer slickness. Lather was nice and dense and did not dissipate.

Don't subscribe to heard thinking. Williams lathers just fine and provides a fine shave

I'd put Tabac in there for sure. But when it comes to *JUST* slickness... ugh, I almost hate to say this.... Cremo is pretty amazing. I hated the smell of the original formula, but the Sandalwood is a big improvement. However, slickness aside, Cremo would likely be near the bottom of soaps/creams I've tried. Other soaps & creams are slick enough, and offer so much more.

This
I finally tried my puck of Williams last week and have been using it daily since. After all the bad mouthing I expected at least some difficulty lathering...I had none. Mountains of effortless lather on the first try. Lathers just as easily as any of my artisans and blows every single one of them out of the water in sheer slickness. Lather was nice and dense and did not dissipate.

Don't subscribe to heard thinking. Williams lathers just fine and provides a fine shave
I'm game...Baa! 🐏🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑

Top Bottom