What's new

Slickest Shaving Soap (or Cream)?

1618709892565.png

I'd have to say Shannon's Soaps, Mystic Water, Cold River Soap Works, and Stirling, in that order. I use unscented soaps, so slickness is probably the most important quality I'm looking for. These 4 are the ones that have stayed in my rotation over the years.
a&e kaizen ? ck6 ? siero ? any other ?

I just got a sample of the Barrister's Reserve Classic shaving soap. I LOVED the scent soo much that I immediately ordered more! I also got a couple other Barrister and Mann samples (Seville and Bay Rum) and found them too strong.

I now realize that it doesn't matter how slick a soap is...if I don't like the smell of it, I'm not going to use it! ;)

With that being said, can anyone recommend other slick soaps that have a similar scent profile as my new favorite soap?

1618930343290.png

P.S. I also ordered the aftershave that goes with this! That's big for me...because I NEVER BUY AFTERSHAVE!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I just got a sample of the Barrister's Reserve Classic shaving soap. I LOVED the scent soo much that I immediately ordered more! I also got a couple other Barrister and Mann samples (Seville and Bay Rum) and found them too strong.

I now realize that it doesn't matter how slick a soap is...if I don't like the smell of it, I'm not going to use it! ;)

With that being said, can anyone recommend other slick soaps that have a similar scent profile as my new favorite soap?

View attachment 1254343
P.S. I also ordered the aftershave that goes with this! That's big for me...because I NEVER BUY AFTERSHAVE!

Reserve Classic is their dupe of vintage Gillette Sun Up. Phoenix Artisans has a Sun Up homage too called Sun Down.

PAA Sun Down

View attachment 1244173

Santa Maria Novella is the slickest that I’ve tried by a fair margin.

I’ve tried the following which are great in their own ways but SMN is hands down the slickest.

Tabac
Mikes
A&E
Zingari Man
PdP
MdC
ADP
Speick
SV
Castle Forbes
Baume
MWF
Nancy Boy
Barrister and Mann
Haslinger
Jack Black
C&S
DR Harris
T&H
Nuavia
Wholly Kaw

YMMV
Well, if you had a little more experience perhaps I would listen to you 🤣

I can’t say with any authority since I have not tried all soaps, not even by a long shot. The slickest soap i have tried is A&E Kaizen based. It’s so slick the razor doesn’t want to stay on my face. It keeps sliding off. The first time I used it I thought I had forgotten to load a blade.
Kaizen samples on the way 👍🏻

Kaizen samples on the way 👍🏻
I received the original Kaizen yesterday and shaved with it this morning. It was disappointing at best. The slickness I experienced with the summer fig was not there. The scent was better, but I’m all about the slickness. Now I’m confused. I’m sure the slickness is in there, but if so, I did something wrong. The lather was real runny as well, which makes me think too much water.

Normally I would rotate to the next soap tomorrow. But now I feel challenged. It will be Kaizen again in the morning.

I haven't tried too many creams and soaps. But from what I have tried, the slickest is St. James of London (any scent). It's a pity my skin doesn't like it. The next slickest is Martin de Candre. Fortunately my skin does well with MdC.

Tons of samples on the way! :thumbup:

1. Ariana Evans/The Club "Turkish Coffee" (Kaizen 1 base)

2. Ariana Evans/The Club "Christmas Coquito" (Kaizen 2 base)

3. Grooming Dept "Lemon Bay" (Donkey Milk base)

4. Grooming Dept "Fougere" (Duck Mallard base)

5. Strike Gold Shave "Le Befana" (limited edition Xerjoff dupe scent)

6. Wholly Kaw "Timmerman Chemist" (pastuers exclusive)

7. Phoenix and Beau "Empress Rising" (tallow base)

8. First Canadian Shave "Blod Av Dreki" (tallow/goat milk base)

9. Chiseled Face/Zoologist "Macque"

10. Art of Shaving "Oud and Suede" cream

Plus Barrister and Mann and Soap Commander.

I really would like to try a sample first like I did with the Barrister and Mann. I noticed that many of the high-end soaps don't come in sample sizes. I'm not going to pay $40-$50 for a soap without smelling it first...especially if (as I assume is the case) they are unreturnable. For now, I will just have to settle with the "lesser" soaps that I can sample first. Oh well, life is rough, what can I tell you :pipe:

Last edited:
I received the original Kaizen yesterday and shaved with it this morning. It was disappointing at best. The slickness I experienced with the summer fig was not there. The scent was better, but I’m all about the slickness. Now I’m confused. I’m sure the slickness is in there, but if so, I did something wrong. The lather was real runny as well, which makes me think too much water.

Normally I would rotate to the next soap tomorrow. But now I feel challenged. It will be Kaizen again in the morning.

Did you try this one ⬇ ?
1618968923128.png

Definitely going to order some...Do you know if the green is better for sensitive skin? Thanks.

I just emailed Cella in Italy 🇮🇹

Cella is scented with benzaldehyde, which gives the almond scent.
Some people are sensitive to it (not me fortunately!).

What's the slickest shaving soap (or shaving cream) that you have used?
I'm not interested in scent, price, history, packaging, country of origin, etc., etc.
I'm only interested in the smoothest possible shave.
Thanks!

My own concoction is the slickest I've found.

DSCN1118b.jpg

The down side is that it takes about 15 minutes to lather up.

It's a bar of Neutrogena, ground up with a half bar of Dove,
with a shot glass full of coconut oil and a squirt of glycerin added,
all combined cold.

Top Bottom