What's new

Slicing and scything

Manually applying either of the following movements with a razor:

slicing (slightly slanted cutting edge coming in perpendicularly with no lateral movement)

scything (cutting edge coming in with slight lateral movement)

Advanced techniques or risky hogwash with no benefit?

slicing (slightly slanted cutting edge coming in perpendicularly with no lateral movement)

A slant will accomplish the above, without the need for manipulating a conventional DE in a manner extremely likely to give you a memorable, though handsome, Heidelberg scar....

Advanced techniques
They work great in the right place but be careful you can also do some damage
Are there any guidelines or parameters regarding the technique? I'd guess not, as I imagine it would be something very much governed by muscle memory acquired through trial, error and practice and, as such, difficult to convey to another individual in a step by step format.

A slant will accomplish the above, without the need for manipulating a conventional DE in a manner extremely likely to give you a memorable, though handsome, Heidelberg scar....
DEs frighten me. I prefer straights.

Also, I lol'd @ "memorable, though handsome, Heidelberg scar...."

DEs frighten me. I prefer straights.

Also, I lol'd @ "memorable, though handsome, Heidelberg scar...."

Yep, I've hefted a mensurschläger or two in my day; I'm the guy without the scars. :001_rolle Just search "Gillette Slide" and a lot of info will be forthcoming.

I use the Gillette slide and the J-hook every now and again, but for the most part I really don't need to do anything special to mow the hair down as long as I keep my angle right and really pay attention to the grain direction (I swear it keeps shifting every year or so just to spite me, even though I know that doesn't happen).

I couldn't imagine shaving not using slicing motion (aka Gillette glide), especially with a SR.

I don't do much scything with a SR, but I did a lot of J-hooking when I was mainly shaving with a DE.

Look up Mantic59 on YT, he explains and demonstrates these in detail.

Top Bottom