What's new

Slate strop

So I've dug out a paddle strop I've never used and I don't even remember what my thought process was when I bought it.

It's a Streich-Riemen paddle strop that's leather on one side and slate on the other.

Is this just for stropping (can one strop on slate?) or have I got a paddle for honing, too?

Help appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20220817_170153605.jpg
    PXL_20220817_170153605.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220817_170159122.jpg
    PXL_20220817_170159122.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Stropping on leather or fabric is always done with the spine edge leading. Otherwise the edge of the blade will slice or nick the strop.

When using harder materials like slate you can use spine leading or edge leading strokes. Some people use axe strokes moving the blade back and forth. Others move the blade in circles which uses both edge leading and spine leading strokes. However, on a stone, it is customary to finish off with a series of edge leading X-strokes.

I guess it is also possible that the "slate" on your strop might be carborundum aka silicon carbide. That material was used to produce barber's hones. Either way, it might be suitable for refereshing the edge of your razor unless you have a really tough beard and need a super sharp edge. In that case, you might need a super fine slate.

Legion

Staff member
The slate side would be a hone. Probably Thuringian or Frankonian.

The biggest issue I can see with that design is not getting water on the leather side.

Those stone and leather paddles of recent vintage have always been odd to me. How to use the stone side with water and not wreck the leather? With lather? Just strop with it dry?

As I recall from seeing one a few years back, the stone on the paddle is along the lines of a Mueller's water grindstone.
Haha yeah so I see what you're saying then haha. For a while I'd use way too much Osage Rub and tears would hit my strop before I learned to post-shave strop before applying aftershave and those drip marks are basically permanent at this point.

Top Bottom