What's new

Slate scales II, a little fancier

Round 2 with the slate. The original scales had a crack that really annoyed me, but I wanted to save the inlay. I copied the originals in slate and (crudely, because remember who you're dealing with!) inlaid a cutout of the fanciness. Poured a couple layers of epoxy and made a brass wedge. Now to hone it up and see what we've got.

Original:

Restored (or destroyed, depending on how you look at it!):

Nice, I like this slate scales thing....Theoretically, you could cut up an Escher, make scales from it, and then your razor would also be a hone. Ha.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Looks very nice! Very unique and creative. The slate scales... they don't flex at all, right? Would they break easily if the razor was dropped?

Looks very nice! Very unique and creative. The slate scales... they don't flex at all, right? Would they break easily if the razor was dropped?

Thank you, Slash. Strangely they do have some give. Maybe because of the thinness? When I first made the wedge I glued it in, but it was too thick. Too thick as in the pivot ends were an inch apart! I had flexed those ends all the way together several times to test it, when I heard a gut wrenching snap! Turns out the CA holding the wedge had broken loose, so I guess it's pretty strong. I'm sure the epoxy strengthens it a lot. Although, I just tested the flex of the first set I did and they give quite a lot more than a pair of camel bone.

Theoretically, you could cut up an Escher, make scales from it, and then your razor would also be a hone

Gamma, my dog just chewed up the scales on an old Wosty and put a pretty good hurting on the edge. I half-heartedly lapped the small pointy piece that I cut these scales from on sandpaper and I'm quite certain I saw a significant improvement after 30-40 laps of the razor on it. Might have to do some further testing... I think my brick oven door is in danger of meeting the saw. That chunk would yield a few hones and a lot of scales!

Top Bottom