What's new

Slate hone info/opinions?

I bought this hone this week and wonder if anybody can shed some light on it. It was only described as a silky smooth hone in the listing so presumably the seller doesn’t know much about it. It’s in the U.K. so likely Welsh slate I’d think?

Apart from seeing hones in workshops during my working life, I have very little experience with them. I got it at a price that was worth the gamble.

I used mineral oil on it which turned to an inky blue/black slurry.

Looks typical of slate. What did your edge feel like after using it?

I have a few slate hones and they are capable of putting a very keen, smooth edge on a razor.

Looks typical of slate. What did your edge feel like after using it?

I have a few slate hones and they are capable of putting a very keen, smooth edge on a razor.
I’ll be shaving with it in a couple of hours so I’ll report back. The edge definitely looks more polished, but the proof will be in the shaving.

Legion

Staff member
It’s very hard to identify slate from appearance, unless it is something unusual. You are probably right thinking it is Welsh.

Post a pic of the saw marks on the end.

Wash it off with dish soap and water, and then try it with water also. I have a couple of mystery stones that look very similar and have been experimenting with both oil and water. Water produces a nice edge fairly quickly. Oil produces a finer edge, but is super slow.

From that pic I think it looks like possibly the type of fine, dark Yellow Lake that @Legion and I have. The description of an 'inky blue-black' slurry matches mine exactly. It's very likely to be Welsh whichever way.

Do post some more pics though, including of the slurry colour if you can. The size of the stone might help as well...

If it is the same then apparently it isn't actually a type of slate - it's a siltstone (or 'silkstone'). Here's a picture of mine below a more normal grey type of Yellow Lake slate.

IMG-5380 (1).jpg

Interestingly, the same seller did have a stone listed as ‘silkstone’ a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t feel I had read enough to buy at that point but was slightly disappointed when it sold. This one didn’t have ‘silkstone’ in the description but was described as ‘silky smooth’.

Sizes are: 200mmx48mmx20mm.

I don’t really see saw marks on the ends, every side looks well dressed. It has a very fine silvery speckle. I done one razor on oil and it certainly took my edge up a notch.

When honing and it has created a slurry, do you clean the slurry and finish on fresh oil?

I’ve had some of my best edges from Welsh slate, mine are brilliant.
I’ve got a little chunk which cost £15 and a huge 8x3 slab at just £40.
Both produce excellent edges. Give them a Japanese stamp and a £250 price tag and nobody would argue.

Black slate is basically impossible to identify outside of a few strong indicators (La Lune sawmarks, etc). Looks pretty modern to me, so I'd guess one of AJ's welsh slates.

Top Bottom