Gillette Nacet (1)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
RazoRock F-400 XXL 34mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower plus glycerin and more water
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

We remedied two malfunctioning appliances in our home a la The IT Crowd yesterday (we tried unplugging them and plugging them back in) including the washing machine that wasn’t properly draining for two months. I didn’t suspect it needed a wee reset until it started its sequence by magnetically locking the lid instead of filling with water. Not needing any extra spin cycles was raw hedonism.

On to the shave. The Gillette Nacet feels gentler than the Bic Chrome Platinum, but gets the job done just as well. Maybe better. This RazoRock Super Slant Lvl 3 razor is unnerving in its required mindfulness and addicting for how gentle it is to most of my skin (got careless with my raw philtrum and had a weeper there, but otherwise so gentle). The other RazoRock performer; the F-400 XXL brush; worked the Wickhams 1912 Club Cola into a superb lather.

Only one more night and morning left on the Paxlovid medicines. Hoping the side effects are only the ones I’ve noticed: bitter, metallic aftertaste and mild, slightly unpleasant feelings of being Tommy Chong.

Happy shaves, everyone!
Yeah, I enjoy watching the IT guy fiddle around with router settings and an hour of diagnosis before walking over and unplugging the damn thing!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
“Shave?…” mail:

Got this bad boy because my existing schnoz-hair trimmer was on the way out and had read good reviews of a similarly shaped trimmer from the same company. One AA batter later and I feel so less gross.

“Shave?…” mail:

Got this bad boy because my existing schnoz-hair trimmer was on the way out and had read good reviews of a similarly shaped trimmer from the same company. One AA batter later and I feel so less gross.
Does it come with Nicholas Cage attribute? Looks good and definitely a needed accessory!

Guido

Don’t be. My mind is a movie playground full of quote triggers if I am not careful.😁

That was subtle and awesome, Guido! I didn't get it till you explained it, sure, but in my mind any mention of Cage is a celebration.

Nicolas Cage Hair GIF

thombrogan

Last night’s luxury shave
RazoRock Super Slant Lvl 3
Gillette Nacet (2)
RazoRock F-400 XXL 34mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower plus olive oil and more water
Post-shave: olive oil

Went back to interrupted showering a day or two too soon. Lungs and sinuses weren’t screaming for it, but would’ve enjoyed it.

Shave was mixed. Upper lip was spared without use of strategy, but I got a few weepers on my neck. Will try being less ham handed next time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s decadent shave
RazoRock Super Slant Lvl 3
Gillette Nacet (1)
[strike]Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush [/strike]
Pre-shave: hot shower plus olive oil and more water
[strike]Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered[/strike]

Last shave before Fruity February and I tried shaving with just the drop of olive oil I originally intended as pre-shave. Just a few strokes at first and then the whole face and neck. Some irritation, but no weepers. Cleaning the blade was morbidly fun because each edge had densely packed oily stubble neatly lining it. Maybe something to explore in April if my enjoyment of brushes and lather can be stayed.

Officially off at-home quarantine, but still recovering. Happily able to huff my Lemon Pledge Wickhams for Fruity February.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (3)
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: cold water face wash with soft soap plus olive oil and more water
Post-shave: hot shower

Washed my face, lathered up, shaved. Lathered up the nape of my neck, shaved again. Did everything I could to keep the razor from indenting my skin. Aftershave went “brrr.” Showered, applied balm, went unconscious. Waiting to repeat tonight.

Wondering if a glycerin soap like Neutrogena would make the face wash more productive.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s decadent Groundhog Day shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (4)
Pre-shave: warm water face wash with Irish Spring rinsed with warm water followed by a thick lather of Wickhams left on for eight minutes before being rinsed away with warm water then a drop of olive oil and more water

Tried leaving a lather product on for eight minutes after reading @BobbyB did so with his PAA mentholated cube and had great results. I’m thinking my Wickhams Lemon Pledge is no substitute for the PAA cube. Was inspired by my next day stubble from the first February shave was scratchy and awful all of the second day of February. How do you celebrate Tommy Smothers’ b-day all itchy and crabby?

Lathered up and started on my right side. With long, sweeping strokes that I have been trying to avoid! Corrected myself before reaching my upper lip, but managed to ham-hand shaving the right half and middle of my upper lip. Another clean-up pass was needed to clean off lots of stubble still on neck and jawline.

On to the dominant hand and its closest side and an illusion of lucidity enveloped me. I used skin stretching with the design-shallow angle, a light touch, and mostly kept the base of the handle against some part of my palm at most times. And it was comfortable! Missed some whiskers under the jawline, but only barely.

Dunno if a much wetter lather will “do it all” or if I’m constantly relearning a shower before shaving is needed for my asbestos results. Expecting a Neutrogena brand bar of soap next week, so I’ll keep fighting common sense until it arrives.

Got a negative Covid 19 test last night. If I get another one Saturday night, well, boo-yaa!

Happy shaves, everyone!

Last night’s decadent Groundhog Day shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (4)
Pre-shave: warm water face wash with Irish Spring rinsed with warm water followed by a thick lather of Wickhams left on for eight minutes before being rinsed away with warm water then a drop of olive oil and more water

Tried leaving a lather product on for eight minutes after reading @BobbyB did so with his PAA mentholated cube and had great results. I’m thinking my Wickhams Lemon Pledge is no substitute for the PAA cube. Was inspired by my next day stubble from the first February shave was scratchy and awful all of the second day of February. How do you celebrate Tommy Smothers’ b-day all itchy and crabby?

Lathered up and started on my right side. With long, sweeping strokes that I have been trying to avoid! Corrected myself before reaching my upper lip, but managed to ham-hand shaving the right half and middle of my upper lip. Another clean-up pass was needed to clean off lots of stubble still on neck and jawline.

On to the dominant hand and its closest side and an illusion of lucidity enveloped me. I used skin stretching with the design-shallow angle, a light touch, and mostly kept the base of the handle against some part of my palm at most times. And it was comfortable! Missed some whiskers under the jawline, but only barely.

Dunno if a much wetter lather will “do it all” or if I’m constantly relearning a shower before shaving is needed for my asbestos results. Expecting a Neutrogena brand bar of soap next week, so I’ll keep fighting common sense until it arrives.

Got a negative Covid 19 test last night. If I get another one Saturday night, well, boo-yaa!

Happy shaves, everyone!

Congrats on the negative test!! You'll nail tomorrow night's test - and then you're ready for your normal night out at the discotheques!

Robert Hays disco GIF

@thombrogan, it took me a while to overcome the giggles at your post and regain the power to type. If an advanced pre-shave routine helps to avoid Tommy Smothers' itchy and crabby asbestos, I'm all in. I got that in '62 and it took 14 shots of penicillin to clear it out! :biggrin1::blink::001_tt1:

Speaking of advanced pre-shave routines, I just learned about @Chan Eil Whiskers' routine and I am definitely going to give it a try, but I have some parts to assemble first. There's a lot of overlap there with @BobbyB's routine, but there's even more of a chess-like prognostication going on. Jim thinks waaaay ahead on his shaves!

I think the PAA Tube 2.0 preshave soap was my 2nd ever shaving purchase, and I made it only because I saw it in a lot of SOTD photos. :) Little did I know it was going to be such a beneficial tool in my shaving routine. I know it's worked great for me so far, but I haven't tried leaving it on for 8 minutes before.

I'm going to try that in the morning for sure, thanks for writing about your Lemon Pledge experiment!

Last edited:

thombrogan

Thank you kindly, @flask28

While I’m looking forward to my second COVID test tonight, I got another sinus infection about as soon as the antivirals wore off and it got really bad last night. My sinuses don’t drain like normal folks so the viral schnozzage is often followed by a bacterial one. Couldn’t even shower and shave last night.

Luckily, the doctor had a video call and prescribed some antibiotics to me and lectured me on my daily pseudoephedrine use. So more drugs, but they won’t hit like paxlovid.

I could use some good news about pals that share their love of this hobby in the Specific Northwest right now.

Gotta go look for a tank top or sacrifice a t-shirt. It’s finally-6°F outside and sun’s out.

My Bride taught me the sinus rinsing bottle requires a streaky, moderate squeeze and for me to not go for the gusto and that’s made some things gooder.

TTFN

Top Bottom