What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

Given that you might be in the market for a new shave stick, have you tried Ach Brito Mogno yet? It's a Portuguese shave stick that's downright excellent. It has supplanted Arko as my daily driver. It's better than Arko. May God strike me down, but it's true. It's $5.00, lasts 200 shaves, smells like the wings of angels, has a dovometer of 18mm, and just look at this packaging...

proxy.php

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Given that you might be in the market for a new shave stick, have you tried Ach Brito Mogno yet? It's a Portuguese shave stick that's downright excellent. It has supplanted Arko as my daily driver. It's better than Arko. May God strike me down, but it's true. It's $5.00, lasts 200 shaves, smells like the wings of angels, has a dovometer of 18mm, and just look at this packaging...

proxy.php
Looks like a supermarket shelf?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
€3.99 is a great price on that soap. Best I can get it for is $9.99 if I’m willing to wait a few weeks.

Ach Brito Mogno and Linha Granado Barbearia are on my radar, but I have 12.25 sticks of ARKO! ahead of them and a curse of bad shaves when I try other soaps while they’re here. Might risk curse.

The news is greatly appreciated - especially on a soap enjoyed by a hand-lathering proponent.

Last edited:
€3.99 is a great price on that soap. Best I can get it for is $9.99 if I’m willing to wait a few weeks.

Ach Brito Mogno and Linha Granado Barbearia are on my radar, but I have 12.25 sticks of ARKO! ahead of them and a curse of bad shaves when I try other soaps while they’re here. Might risk curse.

Yikes. I just finished the 12 sticks of Arko that I bought back in 2015. The problem with Arko is that it actually grows at a rate of 3.87% per year. It doesn't sound like much, but 12.25 sticks of Arko is 917g, which means that it's growing at a rate of 36 grams per year. In other words, you need to do 18 shaves @ 2 grams just to keep even with it. Body shaving can speed things up, but people made fun of my lack of eyebrows.

When you do get through all that Arko, I found Mogno for $5.95 at online shop in Florida (B&B supporter) that shipped it for $3.95. It's the cheapest I've found it.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock BBS
Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
30mm Maggards Synthetic Brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave lather: ARKO!
Post-shave face wash with shave binky
Post-shave alum block
Stirling Unscented Menthol with Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera
Stirling Glacial Unscented Aftershave Balm

Italian Barber/RazoRock rate their BBS model of safety razor as mild-medium and their SLOC as medium in their aggression spectrum. Either their SLOC only _looks_ like a Yaqi Mellon or their rating system is as unreliable as their expedited shipping.

On first shave, the RazoRock BBS feels like a much smoother upgrade to Mühle’s 2013-R41. Lots of blade feel and efficiency only the safety bar isn’t scritchy and the ATG passes aren‘t volatile.

A weeper? Sadly. On the left side of my neck on my third pass. Alum sting? Mostly around the lips. It removed the scab from my upper lip without drawing blood. Or maybe the shave brush did?

Not used to three passes and likely don’t need the XTG pass. Stubble somehow felt longer afterwards.

Purposely made for steep angled shaving and rigidly holding a DE blade. Have two more razors to try, but this one is sweet.

Next up will be a PAA el Fantasma and an Ikon X3 on my trusty Maggards MR3 handle…

Happy shaves, everyone!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Italian Barber/RazoRock rate their BBS model of safety razor as mild-medium and their SLOC as medium in their aggression spectrum. Either their SLOC only _looks_ like a Yaqi Mellon or their rating system is as unreliable as their expedited shipping.
In my experience not only is their expedited shipping unreliable, it actually added a week... and, they essentially laughed at me for being stupid enough to use it. At least that is how I felt after repeated email exchanges. "Take Off, 'eh".

thombrogan

That irritated me when I read about your experiences with their shipping. Great razors and prices, but could improve elsewhere.

thombrogan

Felt and actually was are not synonymous.

Anyways, the shave-related birthday haul:
1610651957216.jpeg

Need those carbs for intense, explosive energy!

1610652026787.jpeg

Can’t use sandalwood in a shave soap for now, but make myself otherwise stink of it.

1610652094992.jpeg
RazoRock BBS and PAA el Fantasma - Bic in Fantasma for next shave.

1610652184076.jpeg

PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum shavestick and Ikon X3 on Maggards MR3 handle.

1610652253779.jpeg

The ninjas silently approve.

thombrogan

Ach Brito Mogno ordered…

Last night’s shave
PAA el Fantasma
Bic Chrome Platinum (2)
30mm Maggards Synthetic Brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave lather: ARKO!
Post-shave face wash with shave binky
Post-shave alum block
Stirling Unscented Menthol with Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera
Stirling Glacial Unscented Aftershave Balm

First shave with a slant razor. First shave with a plastic DE. First shave with a glow-in-the-dark razor.

Before being scared to try this novelty, I played a scary video game and one of the controllers stopped working while I my character was fighting a ghost, so I was scared going into the ordeal.

Realized I did use enough water in my lather with previous shave (had to reapply water halfway through), so I didn’t have that problem with this shave.

Shaving steep seemed to be the ‘safest’ way to try this particular razor. The teeth on the Fantasma’s comb are comfortable. Not Fatip Grande comfortable, but still nice.

First pass, ATG. The low weight of the razor made it even easier to apply a light touch. With small strokes and an elevated desire to not force anything, I worried the razor across my stubble. Loud, but I was chasing comfort and not a fun crunch. So much stubble remained after that pass, but it was a good one. Great one considering I was scared of the razor and that a ghost from Luigi’s Mansion could materialize and attack me at any point.

Second pass, ATG. Another well-hydrated lather for the ceremonies. Shave wasn’t much closer, but I was getting more experience with the razor and trying to use less steep of an angle here and there.

Too much stubble left on upper lip and Adam’s apple and no weepers. Brushed more lather on and proceeded to remove some stubble and add some weepers. Darn it!

Alum sting was slight and fleeting.

El Fantasma is a great razor. And I like it. Trying Ikon X3 next and probably Micromatic Clog Pruf after that, but this was fun.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

The stubble wasn’t actually longer, but it felt longer. There is no clearer or less damning way to articulate that sensation. It was as though the hairs were pulled closer to the skin’s surface after the XTG pass.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The stubble wasn’t actually longer, but it felt longer. There is no clearer or less damning way to articulate that sensation. It was as though the hairs were pulled closer to the skin’s surface after the XTG pass.
The texture of the ends of the remaining stubble felt different? As in a fresh boar vs. one with split ends?

thombrogan

It was easier to feel the stubble after the XTG pass than after the WTG pass before it.

What probably happened was the force of the safety bar, blade, and my trotters smoothed the stubble down during the WTG pass and the same elements got the stubble pushed more upward on the XTG pass and I interpreted that as feeling longer when it may have been the whisker equivalent of patted down hair versus teased hair.

Top Bottom