What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
At that point, the coffee only increases my alertness of how tired I am.
Irish-Coffee-2.jpg

Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline (20)
30mm Maggards Synthetic Brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave lather: ARKO!
Post-shave face wash with shave binky
Post-shave alum block

Shower first made the lather easier/better. Got a WTG pass done. Lighter, more neutral, even a little slower to make getting the angles better. Still got weeper between chin and lower lip. Other than there, alum tingled at most.

Bride got best possible news from oncologist yesterday. Made her a Black Forest trifle cake to celebrate. Happiness and relief don’t begin to describe our emotions.

Happy shaves, everyone!
Wonderful news Thom. Excellent news always deserves excellent cake.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline (22)
Post-shave alum block

Back to ATG. Was able to lighten the “light touch” further on just-right lather of ARKO! riding the cap with just enough tilt to feel the blade slicing the whiskers. On my right sideburn, I sort of zig-zagged the strokes in the pass and was more linear ones for the left sideburn. Felt comfortable the whole time.

Touch an abbreviated page from Al’s book by applying the shave stick to the whiskers, but waiting a while before lathering. Not the half-hour plus of a soap awaiting its fate in an Infinity brush, but a few minutes of clinging to wet whiskers and contemplating a grim future.

No weepers. A slight tingle on the left sideburn, but no overt sting!

Close, comfortable shave like I’ve read about.

Zig-zag pattern strokes were closer, but not necessarily practical outside of the mutton chop region.

WTG-only shaves all had a little irritated feeling for a half hour after the shave that would resolve, but this felt fine before, during, and after. I blame that on me using too much pressure and overlap as WTG is inherently gentler and more protective.

At end of shave, my Bride walked over by the sink and saw me readying my post-shave lather and noted “Oh. Is that why you smell like that?” My heart sank as the thought of abandoning 12.25 Arko sticks caromed in my head. She clarified it didn’t smell bad, she was just curious.

Being anxiety-ridden, I’m now left wondering whether she’s okay with the amazing fragrances of Arko lather or would rather bear this annoyance versus me going on a quest for the best of the unscented soaps (as though I don’t already have a jar and two samples of Stirling and a sample of Southern Witchcrafts already on hand).

Speaking of soap scents, I have a question for BOSC celebrity and local croap-hater @Dovo1695 :

Would modern, superfatted croaps with names like “Hallows” and “Terror” be fearful enough to change whisker state without post-manufacture pasta machine squeezings?

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

The instrumentation is excellent.

Are you worried about clogging your sweat ducts with aluminum-based compounds?

Are you worried about clogging your sweat ducts with aluminum-based compounds?

Not so much, but now you mention it, it can't be good. I just don't like the way my underarm hair always feels a bit tacky when I shower. And it seems that the skin beneath never gets much of chance to breathe. I tried it last year but only for a week or so. The first few days were ok, then the funk came on and I caved. I'll stick out for the full month this time and see if 'it' settles down over time.

thombrogan

Tonight’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline (23)
Post-shave alum block

Apparently, both @4and20blackbirds and I were enticed to commit the sin of chasing the baby.
1610336439671.jpeg

Strikingly, a had a tiny red dot on the right hand corner of my lips and a weeper along my jawline and random alum sting. Other than a few small areas like the left sideburn, most of the foolishness was using slight zig-zags in the ATG strokes. Too much too soon.

Not as comfortable as the night before; a most gentle reminder to ease up on the throttle. Post-shave reminiscent of using WTG pass(es) with excessive pressure — likely because ATG has a much lower threshold before excessive pressure is achieved. Towards getting better accuracy over time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
He should have grabbed a badger Mike, I don’t think the big ones can run that fast.

I was run off by a badger once deer hunting in Saskatchewan. They can run fast but they dont usually have to run far. I didnt have to find out if the .270 I was carrying was faster. Being chased by an angry badger is terrifying haha.

756bc6764ae8416f0005f85aa7b23a26.jpg

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline (24)
Lather: Mama Bear Polar
Post-shave lather: Mama Bear Polar
Post-shave alum block
Stirling Unscented Menthol with Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera
Stirling Glacial Unscented Aftershave Balm

So overhydrating a translucent soap is just as easy to do as underhydrating one - only it has some slickness that stops abruptly like over-watered Arko. Got it sorted by the time I reached the left side of my face. So no weepers on left side.

Post-shave felt comfortable, but I assumed it was the menthol covering my mistakes so on went the witch hazel, aloe, and balm that also had menthol. So the menthol fun is for post-shave or non-shave only even if I crack the translucent soap’s water requirements.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Tonight’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline (25)
Lather: Stirling Unscented with Beeswax
Post-shave lather: Stirling Unscented with Beeswax
Post-shave alum block
Stirling Unscented Menthol with Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera
Stirling Glacial Unscented Aftershave Balm

Last shave before my birthday. Again used something other than Arko. Got it slicker than last time I used Stirling. The sample size made it easy to use directly on whiskers. Weepers under right jawline and right side of upper lip. Arko and a slightly earlier shaving time might’ve helped.

The RazoRock Hawk V3OC and its trusty Proline have left the bathroom in anticipation of other goodies. Other goodies that will be responsibly accompanied by ARKO!

Happy shaves, everyone!

Speaking of soap scents, I have a question for BOSC celebrity and local croap-hater @Dovo1695 :

Would modern, superfatted croaps with names like “Hallows” and “Terror” be fearful enough to change whisker state without post-manufacture pasta machine squeezings?

Happy shaves, everyone!

Sadly no. The age old adage is "a fearful soap is a terrified whisker". A scary soap name can be helpful in intimidating whiskers, but it's an order of magnitude less effective. The classic film "Jurassic Park" lends a good analogy. Being cornered by a pack of velociraptors is scary, but it's when the velociraptors themselves flee in terror that you really wet your khaki's.

My croap conversion therapy has been a mixed success unfortunately. Although all of my highly "conditioned" Stirling samples have become noticeably firmer, only two of the 4 became firm enough. A dovometer ™ reading of 4mm (out of 20mm) is my line in the sand for when a croap is too soft for a shave stick. For context, ARKO! has a dovometer reading of 10mm. It seems some soaps are loaded up with so much hand lotion that they can't be reformed.

Here is my before and after data from the Stirling experiment after 5 weeks:

Sharp Dressed Man: ~1mm
Haverford: 4 mm
AGAR: 2mm
Arcadia: 1 mm

Here are the current readings:

Sharp Dressed Man: 2mm
Haverford: 5 mm (25% improvement)
AGAR: 4 mm (100% improvement)
Arcadia: 2 mm (100 improvement)

For my purposes, a dovometer reading of 4 or above is what I'm looking for out of a shave stick, so I'll leave the SDM and Arcadia out to dry for a few more weeks, and start shaving with the Haverford and Agar!

Last edited:
Top Bottom