What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I read it because my public school compelled me, @Rosseforp Same for The Pearl. Luckily, The Pearl gave me the named “Coyotito” to find its way into my butchering of La Bamba.

@AimlessWanderer , the Veggie Tales version; an allegory to an Old Testament tale; is far superior to Steinbeck’s version. Not once did a character use the phrase “cheese-headed bean boy” in the original to its shame.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
One Blade Down In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (10)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower plus face wash with glycerin soap plus a few minutes of waterboarding
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

I didn’t try “it all,” but I tried more. Refreshed the edge on a loaded strop. Rubbed glycerin soap on my whiskers after showering and before soaking them with a warm, damp washcloth, and hydrated my lather a bit more than I had been. Focused on lightening my touch and shifting angles of attack (ATTACK!) whenever any stroke didn’t feel smooth.

Clevern’t

I mauled myself less than the previous shave and the edge was clearly sharper and crisper than the shave before, but too dull for my abilities to use safely. And I was too dull to save its spine for a RIGS shim ( a shimming method for modern GEM blades pioneered by @Ron R ).

Only eight days into “One Blade In February” and I couldn’t gatekeep, gaslight, or girlboss further shaves out of the blade without an exorbitant cost to pay in flesh.

So I have twenty days left for the new blade and will see if I’m better able to tolerate “Aloe 100% Gel” as a pre-shave (that’s the sleazy bit of marketing on the bottle that sparks joy) than last time. The fresh blade is likely enough, but I’ve got that new bar of soap and more than one brush…

The non-Covid infection feels like it’s subsiding, but it definitely has cut into my energy to go get Valentine’s Day stuff and that’s so danged close. Will see what tonight brings.

Also found that the tipping point between too much and not enough fresh fruit is precarious.

Happy shaves, everyone!
Mauling yourself less is a good thing! :w00t:

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm not familiar with the book, so please forgive me if this is a highly insensitive comment, but the title makes me think that Preparation H might be the hero of the story...
Al, it is a story of migration from the Oklahoma Dust Bowl to California, and the trials and tribulations encountered on the way to the promised land. One chapter is devoted to the family devouring grapes from a plantation next to the watering hole they were staying at, as they hadn't eaten a square meal in weeks, and the wrath disposed upon them form eating to much fruit in one sitting.

There is much more to the book, as I am sure Thom can tell you, some 600 pages.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Al, it is a story of migration from the Oklahoma Dust Bowl to California, and the trials and tribulations encountered on the way to the promised land. One chapter is devoted to the family devouring grapes from a plantation next to the watering hole they were staying at, as they hadn't eaten a square meal in weeks, and the wrath disposed upon them form eating to much fruit in one sitting.

~doug~
Doug, I'm assuming you've seen those haunting photos Dorothea Lange took of the dust bowl migration.

And btw, I think Grapes of Wrath is a well written and enjoyable book.... though it's sad.

thombrogan

Another One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (1)
Pre-shave: Glycerin soap face wash with Ω ΞVO and dollop of aloe vera
Post-shave: hot shower

I was given pre-shower pre-shave prep advice in The Micromatic Monday thread and I’m pretty sure it worked. A first-use GEM without corking or palm-stropping benefited from it. And it was tougher to use a light enough touch than I expected. Hopefully next time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

I hoped the 1912 would work like that. Hope schmope. Super smooth otherwise.

Back to Steinbeck, I eventually got what you meant by the Grapes of Wrath reference (maybe I didn’t read it?) and that’s mostly not what I meant.

I meant going from worrying the stuff would spoil to worrying I’d never have another fresh fruit after the current bounty disappeared. For what you meant, anything more than a baseball-sized apple per meal and oof

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Back to Steinbeck, I eventually got what you meant by the Grapes of Wrath reference (maybe I didn’t read it?) and that’s mostly not what I meant.
Maybe because I read Grapes of Wrath because I wanted to read it, instead of it being required reading. And I wanted to know why my Dad underlined the words "no way" on page 525, Chapter 24.

~doug~

thombrogan

Tonight’s decadent shave
ATT G1
Personna GEM PTFE (2)

Wee Scot was having ends break off in soap puck yesterday so I did my best approximation of this from @NiOOH and the brush was back to life tonight.

Used the Above The Tie G1 and though the exposed corners are dangerous, it holds the blade better than an unmodified Micromatic. Had a WTG/XTG/ATG + ATG cleanups shave and it was awesome! No aftershave sting and mostly clean finish. Pleasant way to end the day.

If this blade ever wears out, I hope I have the presence of mind to harvest its aluminum backing. Reasons.

Happy shaves, everyone!

I'm glad you liked the shave you got from the G1. Yeah, you have to watch those corners of the blade. I nicked my ear once with it.
It is a nice smooth shaver. You can get a close shave without irritation. Overall it is a good design.

Tonight’s decadent shave
ATT G1
Personna GEM PTFE (2)

Wee Scot was having ends break off in soap puck yesterday so I did my best approximation of this from @NiOOH and the brush was back to life tonight.

Used the Above The Tie G1 and though the exposed corners are dangerous, it holds the blade better than an unmodified Micromatic. Had a WTG/XTG/ATG + ATG cleanups shave and it was awesome! No aftershave sting and mostly clean finish. Pleasant way to end the day.

If this blade ever wears out, I hope I have the presence of mind to harvest its aluminum backing. Reasons.

Happy shaves, everyone!
I get about 9 nice shaves with them in the Blackland Sabre L1. Very smooth blade.

Cheers!!!

~doug~
Is there a Grapes of wrath shave soap? It would be good for Fruity February.

thombrogan

I thought I polished the skin-touching parts if the comb well enough. I’m most likely running my lather too thick and compensating for the muted feeling with extra pressure.

Top Bottom