thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
One Blade In Fruity February

This morning’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (5)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: warm water face wash with Irish Spring rinsed with warm water followed by a drop of olive oil and more water
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: olive oil

Used a lot of soap and water for my lather. Runny as could be. Used short, shallow strokes with skin stretching and seemed to get nowhere. Went slightly steeper and got the “buttered toast sound” and away the whiskers went. Some of the tougher whiskers are only slightly shaved, but good enough for now.

Off to toddle through the day

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (6)
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by about two minutes waterboarding
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky

Nothing says my prep was off like benefiting from two shaves in the same day. Having a hot shower and waterboarding before lathering allowed me to use design-shallow strokes with skin stretching or excessive touch ups. Even the upper lip; raw from tissue use; was easily and gently shaved.

The immediate post-shave feel reminds me of the RazoRock Super Slant Lvl 3 only with a lighter razor and more expensive blade.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (7)
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by about two minutes waterboarding with shave binky
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, hand-lathered

Hand-lathered to reduce scritch. Adding cold water to lather wasn’t as refreshing when face-lathering as expected. Knowing a shave with a Micromatic Open Comb was about to commence, my hands must’ve been ablaze with anticipation. Off-putting, truly, but the great shave I had was worth creeping out myself.

Back to face-lathering tomorrow. With a Wee Scot, it’s only a little scritch anyways.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Shave mail!

ATT G1 head courtesy of an insanely generous giveaway from @shave/brush Thank you, Ron!

6AC91210-56A5-4247-B425-0103C93AEADF.jpeg2432CAFC-18D8-43AC-A681-EE5B7444E03E.jpeg9CF44ACE-03C6-4708-8C87-EF8C445786B2.jpeg

Misplaced time, so this is getting ready for the next shave (which I hope is tonight). Probably using the PAA el Fantasma’s handle for the full LHF experience.

thombrogan

GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (8)
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by about two minutes waterboarding with shave binky

I was supposed to be using a different razor with this blade last night, but plan well enough. Oh no, another gentle, efficient MMOC shave in the books. Poor me…. It was awesome.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Above The Tie G1
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (9)
Pre-shave: hot shower

In my exuberance to try my new razor, I skipped my additional whisker soaking. Between that and the used condition of the blade, I gave myself a terrible first impression aside from noticing the ATT G1 clamps the blade tighter than the Ever-Ready 1912 and GEM MMOC and its scalloped cap looks and feels great. Switched the blade to the MMOC and familiarity seemed to improve the shave, but I gave myself some razor burn.

So more and/or better prep before my next shave Probably should change the blade, too. Or resharpen it.

Recently discovered Naruto. Addicting.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

I have a bench strop made by Hand American out of genuine cow leather affixed to magnet-infused polymer sheet (for use with the Hand American bench strop base — the magnetic one, not the clippy one that showed the genius of Keith D’Grau to the world — the acid etched float glass for easy sandpaper use was his genius move on this kit) and a film of 0.5μ monocrystalline diamond spray on its surface.

Without the base plate, an idiot can make the strop convex, concave, or any other configuration supported by flexible bits of magnetic plastic and a bit of dead cow. Convexed, I pinched the sides of the GEM blade used last night and lightly stropped away for an arbitrary time period. Was cutting arm hairs above the skin by about 6-7mm, so I stropped some more for good luck.

Will see what the next shave brings.

thombrogan

One Blade Down In Fruity February

GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (10)
Pre-shave: hot shower plus face wash with glycerin soap plus a few minutes of waterboarding
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

I didn’t try “it all,” but I tried more. Refreshed the edge on a loaded strop. Rubbed glycerin soap on my whiskers after showering and before soaking them with a warm, damp washcloth, and hydrated my lather a bit more than I had been. Focused on lightening my touch and shifting angles of attack (ATTACK!) whenever any stroke didn’t feel smooth.

Clevern’t

I mauled myself less than the previous shave and the edge was clearly sharper and crisper than the shave before, but too dull for my abilities to use safely. And I was too dull to save its spine for a RIGS shim ( a shimming method for modern GEM blades pioneered by @Ron R ).

Only eight days into “One Blade In February” and I couldn’t gatekeep, gaslight, or girlboss further shaves out of the blade without an exorbitant cost to pay in flesh.

So I have twenty days left for the new blade and will see if I’m better able to tolerate “Aloe 100% Gel” as a pre-shave (that’s the sleazy bit of marketing on the bottle that sparks joy) than last time. The fresh blade is likely enough, but I’ve got that new bar of soap and more than one brush…

The non-Covid infection feels like it’s subsiding, but it definitely has cut into my energy to go get Valentine’s Day stuff and that’s so danged close. Will see what tonight brings.

Also found that the tipping point between too much and not enough fresh fruit is precarious.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Top Bottom