What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

The brush felt softer, but the soap starting stinging partly into application.

And you know it's not the Arko. I've been wondering if my old soap irritation issues really were brush irritation issues after all. As much as I like Proraso Green preshave I'd happily leave it out if I could. Do I risk upsetting my current run of great shaves with more tinkering?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
And you know it's not the Arko.

It’s me, but the ARKO! might not be friendly to overshaved skin or it might be exuberant exfoliation from the boar brush. Will see if it happens again

Do I risk upsetting my current run of great shaves with more tinkering?

You do. I hope you won’t, but you’d make that risk.

You do. I hope you won’t, but you’d make that risk.

I did. (but I didn't)

View attachment 1290761

Fatip Gentile
Red IP (4)
Yaqi Moka 24mm
??????
Proraso Red

I tinkered. Zero irritation pre shave, post shave or anywhere in between. The lather was only 95% perfect as well.

2 passes, no clean-up, DFS, BBS in the usual places, no redness and a smirk in the mirror. Heh.

I should add: Besides cold showers I've also stopped eating dairy. My skin has never looked or felt better. Softer too. And my digestive system, while never a problem, is in tip-top shape; an unexpected but welcome bonus.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Herold 142Ri2 calfhide strop
My grandpa’s straight razor
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: face wash with shave binky, a few face-lathers
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave lather: ARKO!
Post-shave: Alum block
Post-shave face wash with shave binky, hot shower
Post-shave.: Stirling Glacial Unscented Post-Shave Balm

First successful straight razor shave.

Washed face, lathered, got my toys ready. Washed off the lather and reapplied and then stropped (mostly x-strokes with a few pull strokes 62 per side if my brain registered it properly). Put away the strop and lathered again. Made it thicker so it wouldn’t get into the pivot.

Started on the chin because it’s the toughest place for me use good angles. Moved onto the neck because it’s second toughest. Next was upper lip and chin again followed by cheeks and sideburns. Started on right and finished on left. Felt spine of razor against face as much as possible. Single pass, WTG as close as I could follow it. Didn’t have the willpower to do a second pass without a wandering mind. Had to stop a few times and wait for images of small dogs in superhero costumes to stop distracting me from the task at hand.

Applied a thick Santa beard of ARKO! to amuse myself as I cleaned, dried, and put away my razor.

I was told this was my grandpa’s razor and I know he used one, but I don’t remember studying it as a kid which is strange because I’ve been obsessed with edged tools and weapons since my first toddle. Actually, I can only remember the sharpness of his pocketknives, so maybe it was his.

No nicks, no alum sting (small amount of heat on neck after alum lingered for a few seconds, but not much heat). I’ve put better edges on kitchen knives, but it cut hair. I’ll refine it later. Got three pieces of balsa, 0.5μ and 0.1μ diamond paste, and the internet for that later.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Tonight’s shave
Lather: Maître Savonitto Au Bon Lait d’ Ânesse
Post-shave lather: Maître Savonitto Au Bon Lait d’ Ânesse
Post-shave face wash with shave binky
Post-shave.: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream

Google translate says my lather is “Master Soapitto of the good donkey milk.” It’s perfume free, but smells awesome.

There was a little ATG at the base of my throat in an otherwise mostly WTG single pass shave. Got alum sting, there, too.

Would’ve been smarter to stick with ARKO! and I’ll be back to it next shave. Letting the milled leche de burra soap dry so it can go back into its wooden container again. Will probably be less drying when I get the soap water ratios right.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Lather: Maître Savonitto Au Bon Lait d’ Ânesse
Post-shave lather: Maître Savonitto Au Bon Lait d’ Ânesse

Google translate says my lather is “Master Soapitto of the good donkey milk.” It’s perfume free, but smells awesome.

I'd rather translate that part: 'with good (female)donkey milk' than 'of the ...'. But I'm not native, French is only my second language.

thombrogan

Razor went back to the films for 1μ and 0.3μ AO and then to lightly lapped balsa bubby with 0.1μ diamond paste for over 200 laps on the diamond (now stored in a bag to resist dust). Looking forward to the next shave.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather Hi-Stainless (9)
Lather: Mostly Stirling Unscented with Beeswax
Post-shave lather: Mostly Stirling Unscented with Beeswax

With all my futzing on lapping films and stropping on lapped balsa, I never snagged a bunno for the hanging hare test.

Did my WTG pass. Didn’t particularly care for how stubble was left. Relathered and tried going ATG. The blade hung up in the whiskers under my jawline and very barely trimmed any around my throat.

Cleaned up the straight, dried it, and put it away. At some point, it has plans with the 5μ film and the contents of Wifey’s hairbrush.

Relathered and grabbed the Fatip Grande. The whiskers cheered as they leapt off my face and awaited being rinsed down the drain. Had some weepers around the chin and upper lip.

Happy shaves, everyone!

The whiskers cheered as they leapt off my face and awaited being rinsed down the drain.

:a14::a14::a14:

But back to yesterdays shave...

What exactly does it smell like?

donk.png

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather Hi-Stainless (10)
Pre-shave: face wash with shave binky, damp binky held against whiskers for about two minutes
Lather: Col Conk Bay Rum

Opted for two ATG passes instead of one and lots of time spent chasing cleanup. Needed cleanup any ways. Alum and face weren’t fans. Chin must still be raw from dull razor fun as it both had a weeper and still has stubble.

The bay rum might Col Conk is their new formula. I also got unscented pucks of an older formula that I’m aching to try out. The Col Conk; while lacking the lilting fragrance of sweet, sweet donkey milk; was so much easier to use from loading the brush to dialing in the lather.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather Hi-Stainless (11)
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Col Conk Bay Rum
Aftershave: Ulm Nom

The Col Conk Bay Rum was even slicker last night; barely felt the blade in three passes. Whatever makes it smell like the best Chai Latté ever, though, makes the post-shave feel a little like I are hot wings and didn’t wash my face. Hence the Ulm Nom. Vintage Col Conk Unscented next time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Fatip Grande
Feather Hi-Stainless (12)
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Col Conk Unscented

Somehow managed to not use enough soap. The puck didn’t load as easy as the new version, and I kind of like that as the unscented version was discontinued.

The meager amount I used was very slick for what was there. Like when I ran ARKO! too thin a few times - slick in places and skipping in others. The cap of the Fatip saved me from myself and the shave was better than deserved.

Post-shave feel was much better as my skin is finicky. Using again; less sparingly; next time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Top Bottom