What's new

WTB Slants!

I have a short list of some interesting slants I'd like to own. Let's deal!

RazoRock Stainless Stealth Slant
iKon Shavecraft 102
Merkur "Super Slant" or rebranded Merkur (Hoffritz, Pomco, etc.) -- note this is NOT the usual 36/37/39!

Those are the ones at the top of my list right now!

O.H.

Hi, not selling anything right now but thought this may help you: iKon SC 102 has a bit of a big head. I love it but it's definitely harder for me under the nose. The X3 head shaves very similar to me but a bit easier under nose, and it was even available as S&D so you may try it.

I have a short list of some interesting slants I'd like to own. Let's deal!

RazoRock Stainless Stealth Slant
iKon Shavecraft 102
Merkur "Super Slant" or rebranded Merkur (Hoffritz, Pomco, etc.) -- note this is NOT the usual 36/37/39!

Those are the ones at the top of my list right now!

O.H.
If you're looking for slants don't forget the Merkur 30c Sledgehammer, it's awesome.

Herm

I have a barely used X3 looking for a good home, if you decide to go to the X3, as izlat suggested. - I'm just not a slant person, after trying several, from the Fine Superlight, 102 (sold long ago), a Stirling, and X3, the X3 was the most likeable of the bunch, but I much prefer an OC. - Was thinking maybe $40, with a bulldog (I think it's a bull dog) handle.

I'd also trade it for an R41 in good shape, as I've come to really like the $5.00 R41 clone I'm using.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm definitely looking for slants! I guess I'd say I've been using slants long enough that I'm getting picky. Earlier this year I gathered a pile of slants and did an extended shave compare over on the Brotherhood of Slant Shavers subforum.

Among the razors I tried then was the iKon X3, which I used for two weeks. After I got done I sold off most of the ones from the run, including the iKon, the Parker, and a PAA Alpha Ecliptic.

I've lately picked up a Fasan Double Slant and a PAA El Fantasma. I also have a Wunderbar, Merkur 37 and ATT S2. I have a Peroni bobbing about on the briny somewhere inbound.

I've wanted to try out another batch of slants including some tilted as well as helical, but aside from a few the current new market seems to be pretty monodimensional. Many of the new slants I'm seeing look pretty much alike because many makers just copy what each other is selling. So I'm trying to scare up some of the older, perhaps quirkier models before they sink too far out of sight.

I'm also keeping one ear to the ground, as I've heard that a couple of major designers have some interesting slants cooking on the back burner.

I'm quite happy to look at other slants than I mentioned in the opener! Toss a little bait in the water. Even if I swim past I'll be polite about it.

O.H.

If it's more efficient/aggressive you seek, look for a Fine Superlite Slant....very close shaver, but also lots of blade feel. They originally sold for around $30-$35. Made of ABS, with brass insets for the screw assemblies. Only slant that shaved close enough for my taste, but also kept finding the scar under my chin.

Be aware the Ikon 102 doesn't twist/torque the blade, its sort of a standard bar razor, with the head tilted, by virtue of a skewed nut on the bottom. (Really just giving the effect of the Gillette Slide technique by virtue of having the had canted on the handle). - I found it VERY mild, and easy to clog.

Old Hippie

Be aware the Ikon 102 doesn't twist/torque the blade, its sort of a standard bar razor, with the head tilted, by virtue of a skewed nut on the bottom.

Yes, thank you. I have used one tilted slant, which left me thinking I'd improperly foregone trying this entire style of slant razors. One of my goals is to acquire a few examples of tilted slants -- which is difficult at the moment because the manufacturers who were producing tilted slants (like iKon and PAA) have not made them for a while. Vintage slant razors of the kind I'm seeking are mostly on the "this is collectable" end of the cost spectrum, not on the "this is an old razor" end. I'm willing to pay collectable prices for quirky, but I'm not buying Shelf Queens.

Part of my journey has been coming to an appreciation of light razors, as many vintage and "new vintage" slants are made of some sort of plastic. I don't find them as engaging as my heavier razors, but as I say that's a matter of developing technique. I do have an ABS razor, the PAA El Fantasma. I still find myself liking it better with a stainless handle on it.

Because what I'm seeking is no longer in production (and one is a true unicorn) I'm checking to see if anyone's willing to offer one for sale. I'm not sure I'd love the 102, but it represents a door I mighta closed too fast and I'd like a do-over.

O.H.

Old Hippie

A quick update:

With deep thanks to a couple of our shaving brothers, I've now got a Shavecraft 102 and a Stainless Stealth Slant heading my direction.

O.H.

Top Bottom