What's new

Slants?

Ok, I tried my Maggards Slant today, first slant for me. First thoughts... meh. I will give it a couple of tries but it is just not effective for me. I had to do my final ATG pass with the Variant and there was still a lot of stubble left behind by the slant.

Ok, I tried my Maggards Slant today, first slant for me. First thoughts... meh. I will give it a couple of tries but it is just not effective for me. I had to do my final ATG pass with the Variant and there was still a lot of stubble left behind by the slant.
I just received the Merkur 37c that is the pass around razor on here. I split face shaved with it an the maggard slant. I believe the 37c wins hands down. Bettor balance, and a closer shave. Three pass and done.

My only slant is the RR one. My only issue is the threads seem REAL easy to strip.

I have a RR Slant. I realized that the zamak head coupled with a SS handle calls for disaster. I fear those threads won't last long. I also have the RR Old Type OC, same feeling, I have to reassemble the razor with extreme care at every blade change.

I just received the Merkur 37c that is the pass around razor on here. I split face shaved with it an the maggard slant. I believe the 37c wins hands down. Bettor balance, and a closer shave. Three pass and done.
I believe you sir, my experience today was highly disappointing.

I like the RR 37 slant with a Merkur 33C handle which keeps the efficiency, but lowers the aggressiveness caused by the heavy handle. I guess that morphs the razor into a Merkur 37C.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a RR Slant. I realized that the zamak head coupled with a SS handle calls for disaster. I fear those threads won't last long. I also have the RR Old Type OC, same feeling, I have to reassemble the razor with extreme care at every blade change.
Glad to know I'm not alone, lol.

I think we all had that problem with the German 37. At least the very early ones. I gave mine away after I got the Wunderbar. You should really consider upgrading. I just had a wonderful shave with it. VERY efficient. Heavy handle helps with the light touch, which is absolutely necessary with the Wunderbar.

I have a RR Slant. I realized that the zamak head coupled with a SS handle calls for disaster. I fear those threads won't last long.

Are the threads on the RR German 37 showing signs that they are beginning to strip? Or, are we just fearing that it might begin to strip?

Based on feedback provided on these forums, it sounds like earlier models for the RR German 37 were provided with brass handles, which caused threading issues. I thought this was rectified with the current models, which come with stainless steel handles.

If using a stainless handle with a zamak head is a problem, then it puts many other razors in the same boat (i.e. Maggard heads with stainless handles or any other zamak head using a 3rd party stainless handle).

You have to struggle a little before the handle catches the head thread, tolerances aren't very tight. Being stainless steel much harder than zamak, the fear is the head thread may strip soon. It didn't happened yet but they are both fairly new.

I am curious about slants and trying to decide between Merkur 37c and a RR German 37. I don't want to break the bank just in case I don't like the concept. At the same time, I want a quality shaver just in case I stick with it. Any major differences betwen the two? Which one is a better choice? Thanks in advance!
I have both. They look similar, but shave differently. The RR German 37 is the hands down winner. The best bargain in slants at under $20. It's a great razor.

Try the RR German 37 and you'll get an even better shave, I believe.

The Wunderbar gives me the most consistently close shaves of any razor I have. The blade in the thing is clamped down so hard that (I'm guessing) it's as close to a straight razor you can get with a DE. Again just a guess on my part. What I know is that with a sharp blade and a light touch I haven't experienced a closer shave. Get sloppy though, and it will nip you. :001_07:.

I just bought a RR German 37 and used it for the first time Thursday night. Here are my observations:

If you are fairly new, you might want to put away your slant for a while. Not because it will tear up your face, but rather because it is too easy. From what I read, slants can be fairly forgiving of an improper angle due to the angle of the head. If it is too forgiving of angle, it isn't a good learning tool and may make it take longer to learn. On the other hand, from what I read they are very particular if you use too much pressure and then they will tear up your face.

When I shaved with mine on Thursday night I found the overall shave to be incredibly smooth and comfortable. There was nearly no irritation, other than the lower neck area which can be irritated for me even without shaving at times. However, while it left no cuts over the parts of my face that are "normal" any raised area on your skin may get cut. I found it reopened a couple cuts that were well on the way to healing that I got the last time I used my Parker 26, and I had a pimple that other razors just shaved over with no trouble that the slant took off part of the pimple giving me a good cut. It may have been that I used too much pressure and with no pressure it won't even cut imperfections on your skin, but I am pretty sure I used a light enough touch and it doesn't like raised imperfections on your skin. If that is truly the case, just be careful around healing cuts and pimples (and heaven help you if you have a facial mole).

For me, the jury is still out, but it seems like a good razor. It gives a smooth but efficient shave. I'm not 100% sure it is for me though since the aggressive RR Mentor and Schone OC, and the medium and efficient RR OLD Type OC are plenty smooth and efficient, give great shaves, and are very comfortable. I've been sold on OC, and I like my more favorite (OC and SB) razors enough that I'm not sure this really fills any needed niche for me. It is different enough (and inexpensive enough) that I'll be keeping it though.

If you are fairly new, you might want to put away your slant for a while. Not because it will tear up your face, but rather because it is too easy. From what I read, slants can be fairly forgiving of an improper angle due to the angle of the head. If it is too forgiving of angle, it isn't a good learning tool and may make it take longer to learn. On the other hand, from what I read they are very particular if you use too much pressure and then they will tear up your face.

I found the exact opposite. Slants made me pay more attention and improved my technique. I get much better shave now with my straight bar razors then before I picked up a slant.

Top Bottom