What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 5 | 2022

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Used my new ATT S1 baseplate for the first time...

9-29-22.ATT.S1.CanadaSS.SV.Cocobolo.640.JPG

Details here, but wow, just wow!

Happy shaves,

Jim

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
My last Slantember shave - and a good one courtesy of my new friend Marty who answered my WTB call when I couldn't locate my 39C ..

The 39C "Sledgehammer Slant" joined up with a Persona Lab blade (also from Marty) and a Falstaff was used to whip up some old No.88 .. finished with some Blue - BBS ..

DSC00769.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In a couple of days Slantember will be over. There's one more slant I've got to try this month.

I9-29-22.ATT.X1.Slant.640.JPG

Yes, it's the ATT X1 slant. Yes, it is an AC platform razor with an AC blade & it's a slant.

Probably I'll use the X1 sometime during ACtober 2022, too, but I'm sure I'm giving it a spin in Slantember 2022.

Check out this thread if you're interested in shaving fun with AC platform razors.

This has been a lot of fun for me. Probably the best parts have been all the photos. Listen for the big shout out to the razors I'd not before known about (or I'd forgotten about). Many gentlemen offered helpful mini reviews, too, which are always very helpful.

1664501131828.png

Slantember 2022 is almost over. Thanks for joining in. See you next year I hope.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Gentile
Blade: Big Ben Super Stainless (9)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Soap: Stirling Pharoah's Dreamsicle
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Stirling Pharoah's Dreamsicle (Splash)
040_01_21.jpg

I threw one more shave in for good measure for Slantemeber. For my next shave, I'll be headed off for OCtober. I'll start with my Vintage 1980s Fatip paired with a Polsilver Super Iridium. Jim, thank you for hosting this year's Slantemeber! Cheers!

Recently while looking for razors on eBay I saw a listing for a NOS Golf slant from Germany. It looked so nice and was so unique that I bought it. It was made in Solingen like many German razors and is quite similar to a favorite, the Fine Slant. About 2 weeks later the mailbox held the surprise.

The razor is very very similar to my Fine Aluminum Slant and it’s plastic twin, the large gap being the first thing you notice. The shape of the base is the same unique style. The handle is hollow on the razor end and has what appears to be brass threads. The cap has a threaded stud that has a dull dark gray finish.

The box has “1.75“ written in pencil on it. The cardboard is in excellent condition and the graphics look nice. There was a German Ben Hur blade in the box.

What does one do with an unused early 1900s German razor? Shave of course.

This is definitely a case of “similar” does not mean the same. The Fine is a razor that looks like it would be a biter. The giant maw ready to let the blood flow and the whiskers fall. This razor shaves the way that the Fine looks like it would.

While the Fine defies its looks by being smooth beyond belief and not even a nip, this razor is a different experience. There is a LOT of blade feel. The normally very mild Shark Platinum was giving an incredible amount of feedback. I felt it and heard it as it glided across my face and wiped the stubble away.

It is efficient WTG in a way that keeps you on your toes. A Red Tip is another that gives me that type of feel and I LOVE my Red Tip. The handle design with longitudinal ribs and flared end gave excellent grip. I really appreciate the flare and wish for similar in stainless to try with my Wunderbar.

ATG went well. I feel there could be some chatter if you shaved too fast but go slow and mind your angle and this razor delivers. It is not something you can whip around without care. It demands attention and I believe it will punish carelessness.

I have a good many lightweight razors and use them regularly. If you are used to heavier tools then you will need a little time to adjust. I used Taconic Lime soap and a badger brush and received a fine shave.

Another slant in the family. I am very happy with it. What a nice way to close out Slantember 😊

32FBA238-C429-4E52-9E5A-13D6D5971CE9.jpeg
61B38D6C-C7D6-4871-8FA6-80FB00C1D5BB.jpeg
5F455F69-6534-4D4E-B6B4-B20A8B081D0F.jpeg
5AFE9C62-40E7-4F6E-A799-F934984A16FA.jpeg
8D94701D-B510-43C2-A442-5A8AFC381A87.jpeg
C3FBE9CF-9882-40BF-BD33-96BB93AC16BF.jpeg
9732BA53-2973-4190-A6E3-711C4318815C.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Friday September 30, 2022 (SLANTember 7)
Razor: Above the Tie S2
Blade: Astra SP (6)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

IMG_0664[1].JPG

I intentionally saved the S2 for the very last day. It was the first higher-end razor that showed me more than simple technical elegance in the way it's put together. I now have other razors that are both technically elegant and lovely shavers, but the S2 was first and remains in the top spot. Even with a blade that's been through five different razors this month I got a nice close shave with a bit more attention to some areas.

While the next major Shave Event is OCtober, I'm not as wrapped up in that one because I've had the whole lineup of OC razors out already for SLANTember and SEptember. In fact, while I have managed to kill off the DE and Gem blades I got out for this month, I have only two shaves on the AC blade. I'm now down to one AC razor, the ATT X1 which for me is nearly the perfect AC razor.

While it would be nice to have an X2, I don't. So I'll just plug along and use up the blade I have -- probably has about two weeks of shaves left in it. Then we'll see where things go.

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
SOTD: Friday September 30, 2022 (SLANTember 7)
Razor: Above the Tie S2
Blade: Astra SP (6)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

View attachment 1531250

I intentionally saved the S2 for the very last day. It was the first higher-end razor that showed me more than simple technical elegance in the way it's put together. I now have other razors that are both technically elegant and lovely shavers, but the S2 was first and remains in the top spot. Even with a blade that's been through five different razors this month I got a nice close shave with a bit more attention to some areas.

While the next major Shave Event is OCtober, I'm not as wrapped up in that one because I've had the whole lineup of OC razors out already for SLANTember and SEptember. In fact, while I have managed to kill off the DE and Gem blades I got out for this month, I have only two shaves on the AC blade. I'm now down to one AC razor, the ATT X1 which for me is nearly the perfect AC razor.

While it would be nice to have an X2, I don't. So I'll just plug along and use up the blade I have -- probably has about two weeks of shaves left in it. Then we'll see where things go.

O.H.

Maybe join in for ACtober?

Thanks for pushing me over the edge on the X1. Great razor. Immediately obvious on my first shave with it this morning.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Slantember 2022 SOTD
SOTD-FSGT-K_2022-09-30.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Arko
Razor: Fine Aluminum Slant GT
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Black (6)
ASL: Whiskey Woods

Another fine shave. :biggrin:
Many thanks for Slantember, Jim (@Chan Eil Whiskers). It was fun. :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

My pleasure, Cal.

I enjoyed it a lot myself. Thanks for all your posts and photographs.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom