What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 5 | 2022

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1663798691528.png

Razor: Pre-1970 Merkur 37...Hauled this old bugger out this morning. As one would expect, a lovely shave.

O.H.

How cool is that!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Missed postings for quite a few days...but did not miss shaving!
Mon 19
Soap LaToja Stick
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Razorock G37 Slant with yaqi handle
Blade American Shave chrome platinum 1st
20220919_090318.jpg

Tuesday 20
Cream Proraso Green
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Razor Parker Semislant on yaqi handle
Blade Shick SS 13th use
Aftershave Proraso Green Splash
20220921_153141.jpg

Wed 21
Soap Yaqi Malibu
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Yaqi Slant
Blade American Shave chrome platinum 2nd
Aftershave Yaqi Malibu Splash
20220921_153558.jpg

Thu 22
Soap Yaqi Musketeer Rapier
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Razor Razorock G37 Slant
Blade Personna X-series 28th use
Aftershave Yaqi Musketeer Rapier
20220922_114728.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Gentile
Blade: Big Ben Super Stainless (6)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Soap: Stirling Pharoah's Dreamsicle
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Stirling Pharoah's Dreamsicle (Splash)
032_01_4_21.jpg

My shave was really good. The Big Ben Super Stainless has smoothed out nicely. I'll keep using it for the foreseeable future.

Talking about KBG razors how about this one in sterling silver? :yikes:: MÜHLE Traditional Sterling Silver Safety Razor - Closed Comb - https://muhleshaving.com/products/muhle-traditional-sterling-silver-safety-razor-closed-comb?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SEPT%20NL%20%232%20-%20High%20Quality%20Shave%20%2801GD3CAXK4FS5Z9RMD8EAN3QV1%29&_kx=ryKG2-p39C4VdtnvmvR-1SZg6r_2vU2OB1A480KmB0U%3D.SDQiwC

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Friday September 23, 2022 (SLANTember 6th)
Razor: Above the Tie X1
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild PINK (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

IMG_0656[1].JPG

Note: this post also appears in the SEptember thread. Gotta love a two-fer!

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a single edge! It's a slant! :)
This seems to be one of the unsung great razors, so I'm gonna sing it loud. If you've ever wanted to explore a slant, this is a very mild one. Tilted not helical because of the blade format, but a slant nonetheless and it'll get you into the Cool Slant Kids club.

But hey, maybe that's not your jam. Or your jelly, or your salsa. No problemo. It's also a very nice AC format razor. Want to explore AC without the fear of excising body parts? The X1 will definitely get you into the Cool AC Kids club.
During this month of slants and single edges I've come to a decision. I've always been kind of on the fence about AC format. I get it that the blades are sharp; that's not the problem. The problem for me is that a great wide blade like that is a poor fit to a hard curvy surface with ridges and crannies here and there. Feels like trying to park a crew-cab long-bed dually in a "Small Car" parking slot down at the liquor store. Feel free to come up with your own metaphor to conceptualize the problem.

But to focus on the positives...

I have come to appreciate the mild-razor-sharp-blade combination. I tend to use a mid-point razor with a mid-point blade most of the time. This has to be, for me, the smoothest and most comfortable AC razor I've ever used. I'll admit that I haven't used all of them, but I have had ATT's SE1 and SE2 as well as RazoRock's Hawk V3OC and V3SB. I've begun to think that the X1 may be an excellent recommendation for anyone who wants to start exploring AC razors.

The slight slantiness of the razor is noticeable and effective. I've had troubles with the "Gillette Slide" turning into the "Gillette Slice" before, so I prefer to use razors that don't ask me to be dangerously creative. (Devettes are just dangerous, not creative. That's OK :) )

...and what would a post about the X1 be if I neglected to say that I really want to see an X2?
O.H.

Top Bottom