What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 4 | 2021

SLANTember 14

Yaqi Moka Express
(badger) used to face lather Proraso green; shaved with the Fatip Open Comb Slant with a Gillette yellow. The brush is still be to me, and I was generous in loading the soap, giving me enough larger for 2 passes + touchups. The shave itself was uneventful, as I like it.

Attachments

• 2021-09-14 21.23.35.jpg
    2021-09-14 21.23.35.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 8
September 15
Halfway through slantember. 15 days and 15 shaves (Shave #):
Fatip Lo Storto Gold (1,2)
Razorock Wunderbar (3,4,11,12)
PAA El Fantasma (5,6,7,8,9,10)
Razorock German 37 (13,14,15)

Today was a joy to use the Razorock German 37 for two easy passes (WTG, XTG). Skin feels good.
A4BD6BFB-B54D-4BB0-BD49-AD87F9D23326.jpeg

It was a false alarm!

The Astra SS lives on! I had to track the shocking 27th use report down on the Excalibur thread.

As a 'different day, different razor shaver' (or maybe two different razors) I am a poor candidate for the Excalibur club. I am a promiscuous user of different razors and blades, but I am nobody's @sugardaddy .

I suspect my highest use count is still less than 20, with a Kai, but with constant razor swapping, which can't help longevity. If you:
1) ever give up on that Astra SS
2) want to take a run with a Kai (record is 54 based on @Cal post)
3) can't get Kai in Romania

I would be happy to test my international postal skills and mail you a couple.

Halfway through slantember.

I will get some halfway stats posted after this day is done, but probably not before @Chard52142 posts a superbly illustrated soft serve lather September 16th shave from his outpost one meter over the international date line.

Lately, oftenly, I can barely get a shave in before midnight. Well, it is great to go to sleep smooth and nicely scented.
:001_rolle

I'm predicting a Tanuki Parker Semi halfway shave in a tribute to Chard52142, @alin @hrossroth and any others wielding this big well built slant in Slantember. Brass 'frame', baby, here I come!

In about 12 hours or so...

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday September 15, 2021 (SLANTember 4nth)
Razor: Fasan Double Slant
Blade: Astra SP (3) I'm astounded how long this blade has lasted! :biggrin:
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: Yardley

IMG_0552[1].JPG

History Week continues in the Lather Pit for SLANTember and SEptember!

The Fasan turned in a sterling performance, two WTG and two ATG passes and a DFS.

It's not my housekeeping. The surface of this old table has been like that as long as I've had it! {shrug}

O.H.

The Astra SS lives on! I had to track the shocking 27th use report down on the Excalibur thread.

As a 'different day, different razor shaver' (or maybe two different razors) I am a poor candidate for the Excalibur club. I am a promiscuous user of different razors and blades, but I am nobody's @sugardaddy .

I suspect my highest use count is still less than 20, with a Kai, but with constant razor swapping, which can't help longevity. If you:
1) ever give up on that Astra SS
2) want to take a run with a Kai (record is 54 based on @Cal post)
3) can't get Kai in Romania

I would be happy to test my international postal skills and mail you a couple.
@Tanuki , thanks for the nice words! I appreciate and honor your generosity, but I refuse your offer because it would cost you more to transport from the USA to Romania. The idea of the longevity test I started is to test cheap blades! Initially I thought that Polsilver Super Iridium is an exception, now I start to think that cheap blades also have a long life if we give them a chance!

20210915_103614.jpg

Finally back in action with a travel shave. I had gambled on finding blades at my destination and couldn't find any for days. Had to suffer through a cartridge shave once. Found these VDH blades and although I've read some awful reviews of them I was relieved. Not the smoothest blades by any measure, but way better than a cartridge.
Forgot to include my Simpson T2 in the pic, I'm starting to really love that thing.

The Ever Ready Shovelhead in my collection keeps asking about senpai and it worries me so.

I should have warned you! Those Shovelheads can be kind of creepy in a very subtle way.

If it continues to give you the side eye and make 'ambivalent' disparaging remarks about anybody, just tell it you're hanging out on Slantember and learning how to turn SEs into slants! Get a bigger hammer and don't take any guff.

Semi ≠ double

I tried my Parker at 1/4 turn open. The blade has less bend than the double slants. Without the extra spring tension, this 'setting' felt insecure. So I backed up to 1/8 turn open. Better, but snug is probably the best 'setting' for my use. I finished there.

The Parker's build quality has always impressed. Grippy knurling. Smooth, solid thread connection. Clean casting.

But it is liable to tip over when standing on its head...
EC83EC13-9252-461E-BC85-3CEB2CFEF7A1.jpeg

Feather (5)
Custom black walnut and black badger stubby
Croap shall remain unnamed
Witch hazel and Col Conk Bay Rum After Shave - Cologne

Wunderbar + Treet Platinum (3). Final shave with this blade, went back to use the Ti handle, after some back and forth between the handles, maybe the lighter handle suits this razor better, but it is marginal, imo. For soap I used the speick active puck. Not my favorite, for me this soap is lacking in the slickness department. When I take it out, I load as much as the brush takes, but I still haven't made a dent in it. :) Anyway, it was good today because it reminded me not to go over the same area twice without soap -> better comfort, but not as close shave, but only by a hair.

Top Bottom