What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 4 | 2021

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've been told that it's actually modeled on the Merkur 36 which is no longer made. That was a 3-piece razor with the same head.

I realized that while this is an answer, it doesn't really answer Jim's question. My apologies.

@Tanuki will doubtless chime in, but my experience using a rather "well-loved" vintage Merkur 37 alongside a German 37 feels a lot like the same razor. The RR version has the scalloped cap so is modelled on the post-1970 Merkur, but while they made some changes to the tooling I don't believe they fundamentally changed the design of the razor.

The main differences in how they each feel, to me, are determined by the handle. The two-piece Merkur has the same handle as the 34, which is just a tad light and short for my taste. I tried three RR handles with the German 37: their "HD," "UFO" and "Bulldog" handles. The HD feels just like the Merkur only a little heavier since it's solid stainless. The HD being short makes the razor feel a tad head-heavy (like the Merkur); the UFO handle gives me a neutral balanced feel; and the Bulldog while long enough and certainly well-knurled also makes the razor feel handle-heavy.

Oh, and I notice there is a Merkur Super Slant on offer elsewhere. I can't pick it up, being outside the US, but it seems a decent razor at a price I'd jump on in a second if I could. It'd be nice to see it go to one of our brothers.

O.H.

Prep: Warm towel
Bowl: Pils
Brush: Thäther 49125-2
Soap: Klar Rasierseife Klassik
Razor: Mulcuto Schrägschnitt
Blade: Souplex Solingen
AS: Klar Rasierwasser Klassik

proxy.php

proxy.php

Best Regards
Marco

I realized that while this is an answer, it doesn't really answer Jim's question. My apologies.

@Tanuki will doubtless chime in, but my experience using a rather "well-loved" vintage Merkur 37 alongside a German 37 feels a lot like the same razor. The RR version has the scalloped cap so is modelled on the post-1970 Merkur, but while they made some changes to the tooling I don't believe they fundamentally changed the design of the razor.

The main differences in how they each feel, to me, are determined by the handle. The two-piece Merkur has the same handle as the 34, which is just a tad light and short for my taste. I tried three RR handles with the German 37: their "HD," "UFO" and "Bulldog" handles. The HD feels just like the Merkur only a little heavier since it's solid stainless. The HD being short makes the razor feel a tad head-heavy (like the Merkur); the UFO handle gives me a neutral balanced feel; and the Bulldog while long enough and certainly well-knurled also makes the razor feel handle-heavy.

Oh, and I notice there is a Merkur Super Slant on offer elsewhere. I can't pick it up, being outside the US, but it seems a decent razor at a price I'd jump on in a second if I could. It'd be nice to see it go to one of our brothers.

O.H.
Used my German 37 with the barberpole handle today (my favorite handle). I feel the Merkur is too short and too light and am thrilled Razorock offers choices (cheaper too!), as it is among my favorite razors of all time, including the Wunderbar.

View attachment 1324171

How old is it, if you know?

I'm wondering if it is the older one people say the German 37 is modeled after? If so, and if you have the German 37, do you consider the G37 a similar shaver to your vintage 37c?

It's a good looking vintage razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chuck has the good info on Merkur dating. My vintage 37 has the scalloped cap, as did my early 70s Merkur 36. The knurling on the vintage 37 is finer, resembling my 36. The knurling on my modern 37C and on my other modern Merkur handles is coarser and flatter than the older knurling.

I have owned the modern 37C and 39C, the 70s 36, and the German 37. I think the Merkur slant heads are 'the same' on all models, and that the German 37 is a close clone of the current Merkur slant heads.

Any differences are due to:

1 overall design changes, like the smooth cap transitioning to scalloped
2 minor variations among in the multiple production tools in use at any one time, or over the many years of a single base design
3 minor variations among individual caps and plates that still pass inspection
4 and in the G37, the accuracy of the cloning

I think that the RR G37 can be said to be based on the 36 in the sense that it is a three piece. The huge differences between the handles really changes everything. Replicating the shaves would point to the 37C, or even closer the 39C, as the parent. They have the 'lange Verschraubung' (long screw for the two-piece design), but the 36 with the short, skinny handle is such a different experience from the box stock G37.

When I visit the @efsk museum, many Merkur mysteries will become clear.

Slantified thick cap Gillette Old Type

I idly daydreamed of wantonly destroying one of my Old Types - and one day it magically came true. This grail head is mounted on a modern production Gillette-styled ball end handle with a heavier tube and threaded end fittings.

Astra SP (3)
Omega 10065
Col Conk Amber prep
Ach. Brito Mogno shave
Osage Rub
C3C019B9-429E-44D6-B72D-3F4E9A64B2EA.jpeg

What. A. Shave.

Sept Stirling Slant Wed 8 SOTD
Soap Stirling Lemon Chill
Brush Zenith 28mm Scrubby B14 Boar
Razor RazoRock G37 Slant
Blade JAWS Platinum 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Lemon Chill + Reuzel Wood & Spice
The soap scent is a little mild but the lather is great...cooling, creamy and slick...
The shave with the razor paired with this blade was perfection! So easy so smooth and so comfortable in 3passes for a dolphin smooth finish without any issues. This is definitely one of my top-top de blades. Aftershaves were excellent too.
20210908_093034.jpg

SLANTember 7

Face lathered Proraso green using a Yaqi Moka Express (badger); shaved with a Gillette yellow in my trusty Fatip Open Comb Slant.

The Moka Express just arrived from China. I palm lathered it with ARKO, then shaved a couple of hours later. I'm very impressed with the Moka Express: much better than my Parker badger. My impression is that the Moka Express has a denser knot than the Parker, and it certainly better holds it's shape during lathering.

The actual shave went very well, comfortably achieving DFS. The Gillette yellow in the FOCS works well for me.

2021-09-07 21.10.04.jpg

I want to play too. I am hoping my connaught shaving order with my "NOT THE FOCS" Fatip Lo Storto Gentile will arrive next week sometime. I have never ordered from Connaught but I was impressed. I also ordered Cecil R. Salter soap and Mitchell's wool fat, both new to me. Other September goodies an order of Stirling Varen should be here next week as well.

Top Bottom